Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Samsung Refrigerator not cooling

I have a fourteen month old Samsung RS257BARB refrigerator that will not
stay cold, it hovers around 50-55 degrees f. We know the evaporator keeps
freezing up but cannot figure out why. We've had two different Samsung
authorized repairmen, one replaced a bi-metal but that didn't fix the
problem. Samsung is absolutely no help, all they want to do is deny that
it is caused by anything covered by the warranty. Any ideas or
suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 1:11*pm, Mac Cool wrote:
I have a fourteen month old Samsung RS257BARB refrigerator that will not
stay cold, it hovers around 50-55 degrees f. We know the evaporator keeps
freezing up but cannot figure out why. We've had two different Samsung
authorized repairmen, one replaced a bi-metal but that didn't fix the
problem. Samsung is absolutely no help, all they want to do is deny that
it is caused by anything covered by the warranty. Any ideas or
suggestions?

Is it always 50 deg or does it cool initally for at least a few days
after it's been turned off and thawed out? If it cools OK for a few
days, that would suggest the auto defrost isn't working and the
evaporator gets covered in ice, eventually blocking cold air flow.

If it doesn't cool even when started initially, given that the
evaporator gets cold, it would suggest an air flow problem. Most
fridges use a small blower to move the cold air around. If it's not
working or blocked, you get a cold evaporator, but little or no cold
air.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Apr 15, 1:20*pm, wrote:
[...]

I agree with this assessment.

I just had a refrig doing exactly the same thing. The clue of bad air
movement is that it is significantly colder at the bottom than on the
top. My freeze would be 15 or 20 degrees on the bottom (side by side)
and 35 degrees on the top. Fridge was about 50 on top and was about
30 on bottom (which is strange).

I told the repairman the fan wasn't working. He replaced the circuit
board. That didn't help. Then he replaced the control knobs. That
didn't help. Then he replaced something else, which also didn't
help. Then he replaced the fan. Presto. It worked. I told him to
put all of my old parts back because I wasn't paying for the new
ones. He said he'd just leave the new ones and give the olds
(working) ones to the next customer. I was happy with that. The only
thing that p*ss*d me off was that the fan cost about $60 when it
should have cost about $10. But basically I got a rebuild on me
fridge for free, so what the heck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message

I told the repairman the fan wasn't working. He replaced the circuit
board. That didn't help. Then he replaced the control knobs. That
didn't help. Then he replaced something else, which also didn't
help. Then he replaced the fan. Presto. It worked.

Total incompetence. He should have check the fan (easily done) before
replacing anything. That is a common failure. Never call him back again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

I have a fourteen month old Samsung RS257BARB refrigerator that will
not stay cold, it hovers around 50-55 degrees f. We know the
evaporator keeps freezing up but cannot figure out why. We've had
two different Samsung authorized repairmen, one replaced a bi-metal
but that didn't fix the problem. Samsung is absolutely no help, all
they want to do is deny that it is caused by anything covered by the
warranty. Any ideas or suggestions?

Is it always 50 deg or does it cool initally for at least a few days
after it's been turned off and thawed out? If it cools OK for a
few days, that would suggest the auto defrost isn't working and the
evaporator gets covered in ice, eventually blocking cold air flow.

No it cools for about four days then warms up. The first guy said the
heater that defrosts the evaporator wasn't working but he didn't know how
to fix it. The second guy said that wasn't the problem, it was a clogged
drain, but at my insistance he checked the heater and found it wasn't
working. He then replaced something called a bimetal but that didn't fix
the problem. Honestly I don't believe he even checked the defrost, I think
he just chose something to replace to humor me. It's pretty aggravating
that it takes about four days to find out if the repair works, that always
puts me right into the weekend with no frig.

Overall I'm pretty irratated and Samsung basically (but semi-politely)
gave me the finger and told me none of those parts are warranteed and it
was my problem. So at this point I've thrown out three refrigerators full
of food plus the service calls and the inconvenience. Lesson learned, no
more Samsung products for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 11:32*pm, Mac Cool wrote:
:

[...]

There should be a timer that controls the defrost mechanism, that
frequently fails. Can you get a different repair person?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mac Cool wrote:

:
It's pretty aggravating
that it takes about four days to find out if the repair works, that always
puts me right into the weekend with no frig.

I don't know what Samsung's "authorized repair person" qualification
standards are, but I was amused when reading the Craigslist job listings
the other day and saw that Sears was looking for "in-home appliance
repair techs."

IIRC, it read something like this:

Required experience: Has worked on own car, has some mechanical aptitude.

Required skills: Ability to sell customer additional products and
services that increase company profitability.

"I'm sorry, sir, but the photon integrating circuit is toast. At $275
for the part alone, and two hours to install it, you'd be better off
with a new one. We've got some great specials right now on our line of
Ben Dover brand appliances."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think in your case there should be warranty arise,so you should
contact with the higher personals in the franchise.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com