Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT put a cork in the barrel

OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

And btw, did the captain jump into the water a second time, like I
first heard, or was he sitting in the lifeboat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:13:32 -0400, mm
wrote:

OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

Note to self: Keep barrel pointed up and keep ammo dry.

I'll guess combusting gases from the barrel would expel water.

And btw, did the captain jump into the water a second time, like I
first heard, or was he sitting in the lifeboat?

Early reports do say he jumped again. Shots fired! Night vision tools
help.

Jumping a second time would give a chance for a three round burst.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
news
OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

And btw, did the captain jump into the water a second time, like I
first heard, or was he sitting in the lifeboat?

Most any barrel obstruction will have very adverse consequences if the gun
is fired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 5:13*pm, mm wrote:
OT * So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. *But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

And btw, did the captain jump into the water a second time, like I
first heard, or was he sitting in the lifeboat?

Water will also get in the reciever, Explode from being full of water
I dont think so, damaged yes, im sure they go through alot of
barrels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:35:58 -0400, "Marshall Tucker"
wrote:

Most any barrel obstruction will have very adverse consequences if the gun
is fired.

If the previous lead never leaves the barrel (dud) and you fire again,
well that's a mess.

Mud in the tip of .22LR barrel will not cause the same explosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
news
OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

And btw, did the captain jump into the water a second time, like I
first heard, or was he sitting in the lifeboat?

I saw some demos recently of some models designed to replace the current
M16. They would be pulled right out of sand and fired. Same from mud.
Full auto. They did make the comment that the current Navy model of the M16
has ports drilled in strategic places so one can come right out from
underwater and fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:12:34 -0700, "Pittman Pirate"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
news
[...]

No kidding! Wow. I'm glad I asked. Although it turns out they
weren't shot by Seals but by marksmen on the US ship 25 yards away,
who probably had dry guns. They had towed or were towing the lifeboat
to "calmer waters" but it still sounds like a hard shot when at least
the lifeboat if not the big boat is going up and down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:37:16 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:12:34 -0700, "Pittman Pirate"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
news
[...]

Montel Williams suggested that SEALS drill small holes in the hull.
Sink or swim? I like the rapid fire method. No seals harmed..

Any seal could swim up and steal the transom plug! Sink and then swim!
Fire as necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well no matter what everyone else has said, Mythbusters did this and guess
what.

Doesn't matter, they actually fired guns under water which is a more
stringent test and they worked.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/e..._reopened.html

Also, the PLANE TAKES OFF

http://www.thecrumb.com/2008/01/28/m...n-a-treadmill/

"mm" wrote in message
news
OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

And btw, did the captain jump into the water a second time, like I
first heard, or was he sitting in the lifeboat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

How about sealing the gun in a plastic bag, with the plastic pushed through the
trigger guard so the trigger can be accessed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:12:34 -0700, "Pittman Pirate"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
news
[...]

My post has nothing to do with the hostage situation, but was just a comment
on firearm statements made in previous posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
news
OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

Condoms were used in WW2 for this purpose.
You do not have to remove them when firing the weapon.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I saw some demos recently of some models designed to replace the current
M16. They would be pulled right out of sand and fired. Same from mud.
Full auto.

it's called the AK-47.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Web Site: www.destarr.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:03:22 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
news

OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

Condoms were used in WW2 for this purpose.
You do not have to remove them when firing the weapon.

It would have to be a pretty ****ing big condom to also cover the area
around the firing mechanism. Covering just one end of the rifle
doesn't do a whole lot of good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

Naval rifles had a canvas & cork cover/plug. If convenient, they were
removed before firing.

If not convenient, no biggie. Not much will interfere with a 16", 2000 lb
shell.

==============
Then, too, there's this from another group:

Re-reading a Lee Child's novel [DIE TRYING], this passage stood out:

--- begin quote

First thing out of the barrel of Reacher's Barrett was a blast of hot gas.
The powder in the cartridge exploded in a fraction of a millionth of a
second and expanded to a super-heated bubble. That bubble of gas hurled the
bullet down the barrel and forced ahead of it and around it to explode out
into the atmosphere. Most of it was smashed sideways by the muzzle brake in
a perfectly balanced radial pattern, like a doughnut, so that the recoil
moved the barrel straight back against Reacher's shoulder without deflecting
it either sideways or up or down. Meanwhile, behind it, the bullet was
starting to spin inside the barrel as the rifling grooves grabbed at it.

Then the gas ahead of the bullet was heating the oxygen in the air to the
point where the air caught fire. There was a brief flash of flame and the
bullet burst out through the exact center of it, spearing through the burned
air at nineteen hundred miles an hour. A thousandth of a second later, it
was six feet away, and its sound was bravely chasing after it, but three
times slower.

The bullet took five hundredths of a second to cross the [parade ground], by
which time the sound of its shot had just passed Reacher's ears and cleared
the ridge of the roof. The bullet had a hand-polished copper jacket and it
was flying straight and true, but by the time it had passed soundlessly over
McGrath's head it had slowed a little. And the air was moving it. It was
moving it right to left as the gentle mountain breeze tugged imperceptibly
at it. Half a second into its travel, the bullet had covered thirteen
hundred feet and it had moved seven inches to the left.

And it had dropped seven inches. Gravity had pulled it in. The more gravity
pulled, the more the bullet slowed. The more it slowed, the more gravity
deflected it. It speared onward in a perfect graceful curve. A whole second
after leaving the barrel, it was nine hundred yards into its journey. Way
past McGrath's running figure, but still over the trees, still three hundred
yards short of its target. Another sixth of a second later, it was clear of
the trees and alongside the office building. Now it was a slow bullet. It
had pulled four feet left and five feet down. It passed well clear of Holly
and was twenty feet past her before she heard the hiss in the air. The sound
of the shot was still to come.

Reacher's bullet hit Borken in the head a full second and a third after he
fired it. It entered the front of his forehead and was out of the back of
his skull three ten-thousandths of a second later. In and out without really
slowing much more at all, because Borken's skull and brains were nothing to
a two-ounce lead projectile with a needle point and a polished metal jacket.

The bullet was well over the endless forest beyond before the pressure wave
built up in Borken's skull and exploded it.

Reacher was watching it through his scope. Heart in his mouth. A full second
and a third is a long time to wait. He watched Borken's skull explode like
it had been burst from the inside with a sledgehammer. It came apart like a
diagram. Reacher saw curved shards of bone bursting outward and red mist
blooming.

--- end quote

These goddamn male romance novels get me all choked up !

The author could have devoted more words to what the principals were
wearing, what they thought about what the other principals were wearing. And
what smells were there on this gentle breeze he mentioned?

On the whole, though, an entertaining jockstrap-ripper.

=============

And Reacher - the shooter - was even a SEAL. He was an ex-Army MP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I saw some demos recently of some models designed to replace the current
M16. They would be pulled right out of sand and fired. Same from mud.
Full auto.

it's called the AK-47.

No, these were made in Germany. Definitely not an Anatoly Ivanovich
Kalashnikov. You obviously don't know **** about real world guns, or you
would know the difference between Heckler-Koch and a gun first made in 1947
(get it .... A. Kalashnikov .... 1947 ......... no ...... sigh ...........)
What is really impressive is that Anatoly was born in 1930, and only 17 or
barely 18 when he came up with the gun. But I forget you are stupid,
uninformed, uneducated, and don't know dick about guns. So, slutpuppy, the
lecture is over. Now go cruisin' and play with your guns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Pittman Pirate" wrote:

"David Starr" wrote in message
.. .

No, these were made in Germany. Definitely not an Anatoly Ivanovich
Kalashnikov. You obviously don't know **** about real world guns, or you
would know the difference between Heckler-Koch and a gun first made in 1947
(get it .... A. Kalashnikov .... 1947 ......... no ...... sigh ...........)
What is really impressive is that Anatoly was born in 1930, and only 17 or
barely 18 when he came up with the gun. But I forget you are stupid,
uninformed, uneducated, and don't know dick about guns. So, slutpuppy, the
lecture is over. Now go cruisin' and play with your guns.

The first rule, when attempting to correct someone else's mistakes, is to make
sure you know what you're talking about first.

You don't.

It's pretty funny to see you telling the other guy he doesn't "know s**t about
real world guns" and then go on to make the laughable misstatements you do.

The designer's name is Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov.
He was born in 1919, not 1930, and thus was 28 years old, not 17.
AK stands for "Avtomat Kalashnikova" (Kalashnikov's automatic [rifle]).

The only part you got right is that "47" refers to the year it was designed.

"But I forget you are stupid, uninformed, uneducated, and don't know dick
about guns."
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:44:45 -0400, "Cliff Hartle"
wrote:

Well no matter what everyone else has said, Mythbusters did this and guess
what.

Doesn't matter, they actually fired guns under water which is a more
stringent test and they worked.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/e..._reopened.html

Interestingly enough, this one says: "Tory made sure that there was no
air in the barrel because, if there was, the barrel could explode."

That seems to imply that if there is both air and water in the barrel,
the barrel can "explode". So there would still be a big problem coming
out of the water (with water leaking from either end of the barrel) to
shoot into the lifeboat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's pretty funny to see you telling the other guy he doesn't "know s**t
about
real world guns" and then go on to make the laughable misstatements you
do.

The designer's name is Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov.
He was born in 1919, not 1930, and thus was 28 years old, not 17.
AK stands for "Avtomat Kalashnikova" (Kalashnikov's automatic [rifle]).

The only part you got right is that "47" refers to the year it was
designed.

"But I forget you are stupid, uninformed, uneducated, and don't know dick
about guns."

Wrong Google. You're right. But obviously the original poster knows
nothing about guns, or he/she/it would not have made a statement that the AK
47 was a replacement for a M16.

I'm a pirate, not a marksman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:10:06 -0700, "Pittman Pirate"
wrote:

It's pretty funny to see you telling the other guy he doesn't "know s**t
about
real world guns" and then go on to make the laughable misstatements you
do.

The designer's name is Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov.
He was born in 1919, not 1930, and thus was 28 years old, not 17.
AK stands for "Avtomat Kalashnikova" (Kalashnikov's automatic [rifle]).

The only part you got right is that "47" refers to the year it was
designed.

"But I forget you are stupid, uninformed, uneducated, and don't know dick
about guns."

Wrong Google. You're right. But obviously the original poster knows
nothing about guns, or he/she/it would not have made a statement that the AK
47 was a replacement for a M16.

I'm a pirate, not a marksman.

I never implied the AK was a replacement for the 16. The post I replied to was
about a rifle that could be buried in dirt, pulled out & fired without cleaning.
That's the AK.

Strange Cork Garry Denke UK diy 1 August 28th 07 12:45 AM
cutting cork mm Home Repair 13 December 23rd 06 03:26 AM
Anyone have cork floors? jdk Home Repair 1 April 25th 06 01:59 AM
Anyone have cork floors? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 0 April 24th 06 10:43 PM
Anyone have cork floors? [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 24th 06 09:16 PM