Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Eyeglass lens cleaner

Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Walter R." wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

I've been using Windex on my eyeglasses for, oh, thirty or forty years, and it
doesn't seem to have done any harm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

The original Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't be too fast to put it on a
coated lens.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Definitely a no-no for mine, anyway--depends on what the coating is.

I use a little mild liquid soap (not detergent).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Definitely a no-no for mine, anyway--depends on what the coating is.

I use a little mild liquid soap (not detergent).

I use plain water, and soft dishtowel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

I just lather up my hands with bathroom soap, wet the glasses and gently rub
both sides of the lenses and the frame, rinse, wipe gently with clean soft

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 8:09*pm, dpb wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Definitely a no-no for mine, anyway--depends on what the coating is.

I use a little mild liquid soap (not detergent).

--

I just use running tap water and then dry with a soft towel. If I
were using a cleaner, I'd use a gentle one, like liquid soap, Simple
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

I usually clean mine while waiting in line at a department store.

Just use saliva to wet, and the person's coat in front of you to dry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

This on the advice of our optician .

Liquid dishwashing soap. It cleans the oil from fingerprints, doesn't leave
a residue and is very mild.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Walter R." wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

I've been using Windex on my eyeglasses for, oh, thirty or forty years, and it
doesn't seem to have done any harm.

'Bout 30 years ago, I asked the grad student at the optometry school who
was doing the final fitting on my new glasses, exactly what they did
with them after they vanish in back room for five minutes, before
handing them to me all shiny in their case. 'Cleaning them', he said.
'With what?', I asked, envisioning some exotic ultrasonic cleaner. His
sheepish admission- plain old Joy dish soap and warm water, and dry with
a lint-free lab wipe. Ever since then, I always ask the McEyedoctor
people, after I turn down the five-dollar chamois towel and special
drops they try to sell me, what they actually use in the back room. Most
of them admit is it just dish soap.

Think about it- most of the grunge on your glasses comes off your face,
unless you are spraypainting or something. What do you clean your face
with? Gentle soap. Don't need any abrasives or solvents (and some of the
fancy coatings are easy to damage)- you just need something that will
dissolve body oils into solution so they can be rinsed away.

Free hint- NEVER lean over a campfire or backyard cleanup fire wearing
coated glasses. Those fancy coatings are NOT heat resistant, and they
will alligator in seconds. C'mon, ask me how I know that.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Walter R."
wrote:
[...]

I think most of those fancy cleaning sprays are a really weak ammonia
solution anyway. And the little special cloths (which really do kick
ass) are small pieces of fine microfiber cloth.

But yes, dish soap is the stuff. The more important thing is only using
soft clean cloths to polish them with afterward. Fortunately the newer
coatings shed water a lot better than the old ones so not much polishing
is required. Hopefully this makes them last longer.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

Having had a set of COATED lenses about a year now, I understand what
you are up against. Any of the "old" ways of cleaning non-COATED
glasses just do not get the job done. Body oil just does not come off.
I don't know a DIY formula, what works best for me is Walgreen's or
CVS's little spray bottle of cleaner made for COATED glasses, and a
MICROFIBER cloth. That's why the doc's office gave me 2 cloths when I
got the glasses. Again, anything else just does not work on COATED
lenses. My mgr at work had same problem with his new lenses a few
months ago. YMMV

--Reed
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:45:48 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

What? You can't just use a rag?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

Having had a set of COATED lenses about a year now, I understand what
you are up against. Any of the "old" ways of cleaning non-COATED glasses
just do not get the job done. Body oil just does not come off. I don't
know a DIY formula, what works best for me is Walgreen's or CVS's little
spray bottle of cleaner made for COATED glasses, and a MICROFIBER cloth.
That's why the doc's office gave me 2 cloths when I got the glasses.
Again, anything else just does not work on COATED lenses. My mgr at work
had same problem with his new lenses a few months ago. YMMV

--Reed

But how do you clean the microfiber cloth? And yes, this is a serious
question- whenever I run one through the washer, it self-destructs.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

Having had a set of COATED lenses about a year now, I understand what
you are up against. Any of the "old" ways of cleaning non-COATED glasses
just do not get the job done. Body oil just does not come off. I don't
know a DIY formula, what works best for me is Walgreen's or CVS's little
spray bottle of cleaner made for COATED glasses, and a MICROFIBER cloth.
That's why the doc's office gave me 2 cloths when I got the glasses.
Again, anything else just does not work on COATED lenses. My mgr at work
had same problem with his new lenses a few months ago. YMMV

--Reed

What are coated lenses supposed to do anyway? I've had the same pair of
plastic progressive lenses for about 7 years - I clean them in the sink
when I do dishes, wipe with a soft cotton towel. Not a scratch on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Reed wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

I marvel at all the microfiber crap in the cleaning products section at
the store - wondering how I get along without it. Buying them seems to
me much like burning a stack of dollar bills.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

But yes, dish soap is the stuff. The more important thing is only using
soft clean cloths to polish them with afterward. Fortunately the newer
coatings shed water a lot better than the old ones so not much polishing
is required. Hopefully this makes them last longer.

I use the soap and then hold the glasses vertical and run them under the
water. Under a light stream, not the bubbling from the aerator, the soap
rinses and nothing is left but maybe a drop or two and I blot that away with
a towel or T shirt. Perfectly clean and no contact that can scratch..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

I came across something called Cat Crap at an eye
doctor's office. It worked for me.

http://tinyurl.com/c37t5y

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Reed wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

they're kind of awesome. I use 'em just like I used to use cotton
towels and throw 'em in the washer. I bought a pack of six for cheap
and haven't worn one out yet. Only downside is that they stick to the
calluses on my hands.

They're the absolute shiznit for cleaning glass and stainless steel.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

What are coated lenses supposed to do anyway? I've had the same pair of
plastic progressive lenses for about 7 years - I clean them in the sink
when I do dishes, wipe with a soft cotton towel. Not a scratch on them.

Coatings reduce glare. Makes for better night driving, especially in the
rain. Makes your eyes more visible to others also. When you look in the
mirror with a standard lens you see light reflecting. With coated, you see
a perfectly clear lens. Yes, it is overpriced, but it does help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
What are coated lenses supposed to do anyway? I've had the same pair of
plastic progressive lenses for about 7 years - I clean them in the sink
when I do dishes, wipe with a soft cotton towel. Not a scratch on them.

Coatings reduce glare. Makes for better night driving, especially in the
rain. Makes your eyes more visible to others also. When you look in the
mirror with a standard lens you see light reflecting. With coated, you see
a perfectly clear lens. Yes, it is overpriced, but it does help.

The anti-glare is nice, but the main coating I try to get is the stuff
that makes it not scratch. Having coke bottle lenses, I can't get glass,
so scratches are a problem.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
What are coated lenses supposed to do anyway? I've had the same pair
of plastic progressive lenses for about 7 years - I clean them in the
sink when I do dishes, wipe with a soft cotton towel. Not a scratch
on them.

Coatings reduce glare. Makes for better night driving, especially in
the rain. Makes your eyes more visible to others also. When you look
in the mirror with a standard lens you see light reflecting. With
coated, you see a perfectly clear lens. Yes, it is overpriced, but it
does help.

The anti-glare is nice, but the main coating I try to get is the stuff
that makes it not scratch. Having coke bottle lenses, I can't get glass,
so scratches are a problem.

--
aem sends...

Hi,
It's called scratch resistant, not scratch proof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 10 Apr 2009 06:17:11p, Nate Nagel told us...

aemeijers wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Walter R."
wrote:
[...]

A lot of the eyeglass sprays are about 2/3 distilled water, 1/3 alcohol
(rubbing alcohol is fine), and a few drops of detergent.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I take a vitamin every day. It's called a steak. ~Leo Benvenuti

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Reed wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

I have been hand-washing mine with just a drop of Dawn dish detergent.
Rinse real good, then let it air dry.

--Reed
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

***
1 drop dish detergent
1/2 oz (15 ml or 3 tsp) isopropyl alcohol

4 oz (125 ml or 1/2 cup) water

Note: water - alcohol ratio is 8 water to 1 alcohol. Adjust detergent as

required for amount of the previous ingredients. Spray on lenses and dry
with a microfibre cloth from Optometrist.

We have used this recipe for several years and it works great. About once a
week, you

need to wash the microfibre cloth as follows: Soak cloth in water and a
drop of dish detergent for a few minutes.

Agitate in the solution and then rinse thoroughly under the tap. Keep the
cloth clean or tiny specks

of dirt could scratch the lenses.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

Hi,
When glasses get dirty with sweat/dirt/skin oil, I dunk it in the
ultra sound cleaning tub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sanity" wrote in message

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

The original Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't be too fast to put it on
a coated lens.

I stay away from ammonia also. It may not hurt them, but why take a
chance if you don't need to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a microwashingmachine?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

But how do you clean the microfiber cloth? And yes, this
is a serious
question- whenever I run one through the washer, it
self-destructs.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, but isn't "ammonia D" the new stuff? Might be different
than the old ordinary ammonia.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rick Samuel" wrote in
message ...

"Sanity" wrote in message

The original Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't be too
fast to put it on
a coated lens.

I stay away from ammonia also. It may not hurt them, but
why take a
chance if you don't need to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:55:11 -0400, "Charlie"
wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

This on the advice of our optician .

Liquid dishwashing soap. It cleans the oil from fingerprints, doesn't leave
a residue and is very mild.

Charlie

Does anyone remember visiclean? (I'm not sure of the spelling). I
assume it is no longer avaialble because it harms the new expensive
coatings, but it sure did clean well. Anyone know what is was made
of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

I don't have coated glasses but I have always cleaned mine by holding
under tap water to remove grit, moistening my fingers with soap (either
hand soap or dish soap), rubbing on lenses, rinsing off and drying with
tissue.

Using solvents on plastic lenses is looking for trouble and even with
glass lenses, coatings are plastic based.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

Island girl has a product called "Clear Horizons" that is superior to
anything I have ever used. You will think you have just gotten new
lenses. Amazing stuff.

islandgirlproducts.com

In a salt environment, always rinse lenses with plain water first to
avoid rubbing residual salt on and into the lens surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Walter R." wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

I would not use Windex on optical glass with coatings.

You can purchase specialized lens cleaning solutions; most
are a combination of distilled water, alcohol and a small
amount of soap/detergent.

I normally use the liquid soap that we have at out washbasin.
If the nose clips are really dirty, I'll use an old (soft)
toothbrush to clean them.

Then dry with a lint free cloth -- a CLEAN cotton handkerchief
is fine and a CLEAN microfiber cloth is better.

NEVER use paper-based products (like a regular tissue) on
optical glass or plastic. ALWAYS use tissues that are specifically
made/rated for optical glass or a clean lint-free cloth.

Trees and other plants produce phytolyths (micro crystals
of quartz, silica and other abrasives). These are carried
into the pulps and paper products and they will, over time,
scratch up a plastic or glass lens and any coatings on it.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Mix up some rubbing alcohol and water, then add a few drops of Dawn
diswashing detergent. Spray it on lenses, make sure they are well coated,
rinse off thoroughly, then dry with a clean, soft cloth.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Walter R."
wrote:
[...]

Just a FWIW but there are most definitely different quality coatings.
The big box version will behave as you described.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Reed wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

If it is doing that likely it isn't even microfiber. Also just like any
other fabric type product there is a huge difference in quality of
microfiber cloth depending on the type pf plastics used and the method
used to make it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I marvel at all the microfiber crap in the cleaning products section at
the store - wondering how I get along without it. Buying them seems to
me much like burning a stack of dollar bills.

Marvel all you want, but have you tried it? I too, was skeptical. Cleaning
the inside of a windshield was the worst job possible for cleaning. No
matter what I did, it would streak and glare in the low sun. I've been
tempted to buy a new car just for the clean windshield it comes with.

Enter the microfiber cloth. Wet it with plain water. Wipe windshield,
rinse and wipe again. Perfect. No streaks. $25000 for new car saved.

Two people at work have tried mine and bought their own. Get back to us
after you try one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 7:45*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
Does anyone have a DIY formula for cleaning coated eyeglass lenses? Is
Windex spray OK?

Thanks

--

Walterwww.rationality.net

Distilled water and isopropyl alcohol does the trick for me. That what
they told me when I got my glasses. I mix it 75% water. My fried got
me a baggie full of clean room wipes that is super for cleaning them.
I put the solutin in a spray perfume bottle because it gives a very
fine mist. One pump one the cloth and then wipe my glasses with it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aemeijers wrote:

But how do you clean the microfiber cloth? And yes, this is a serious
question- whenever I run one through the washer, it self-destructs.

Buy a better microfiber cloth.

I like the 3M electronics cloths. They cost about $5 each
for a good size cloth -- I use them for delicates like
cameras, LCD screens and a piano.

I have 3 or 4 and the oldest one must have been through
the washing machine several dozens of times and is still
perfectly servicable. It's not torn, shredded, or frayed
even a tiny bit.