Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Universal Wrench

On Mar 13, 2:25*pm, NSN wrote:
Does anyone out there know where I can get a set of these Wrenches?
I have no idea of what they are called other than universal wrench.

I have attached a link to my photo.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3550/...a1f2b4ee_m.jpg

I got the one pictured one on E-bay about 5 years ago. *I looked
through the McMaster-Carr catalog but could find nothing close. *The
one shown is made by SONIC and is 7/8"-11/4".

Norm

There is a reason they don't have them at McMaster-Carr, it's because
they are junk. If you just want one wrench for many size bolts, get a
Crescent adjustable wrench at Home Depot. If you need better
wrenches, get a set of combination wrenches at Sears or wherever.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, NSN wrote:
Does anyone out there know where I can get a set of these Wrenches?
I have no idea of what they are called other than universal wrench.

I have attached a link to my photo.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3550/...a1f2b4ee_m.jpg

I got the one pictured one on E-bay about 5 years ago. I looked
through the McMaster-Carr catalog but could find nothing close. The
one shown is made by SONIC and is 7/8"-11/4".

Norm

There is a reason they don't have them at McMaster-Carr, it's because
they are junk. If you just want one wrench for many size bolts, get a
Crescent adjustable wrench at Home Depot. If you need better
wrenches, get a set of combination wrenches at Sears or wherever.

Ken

Agreed, and I won't even use a Crescent for anything that takes more
than a few pounds pull to loosen, other than maybe a square furniture
bolt or nut, gas valve, cleanout plug, or similar. Most are so sloppy
that roundoff is a real risk. Never had any luck with any of the various
flavors of universal wrenches over the years. The TV commercials never
show them being used on old nasty, rusty, rounded, greasy bolts, for a
reason.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Agreed, and I won't even use a Crescent for anything that takes more
than a few pounds pull to loosen, other than maybe a square furniture
bolt or nut, gas valve, cleanout plug, or similar. Most are so sloppy
that roundoff is a real risk. Never had any luck with any of the
various flavors of universal wrenches over the years. The TV
commercials never show them being used on old nasty, rusty, rounded,
greasy bolts, for a reason.

Somewhere there is a museum honoring the designers of all the goofy tools
sold on late-night TV ads, the combination
wrench/hammer/screwdriver/multimeter etc. that also makes coffee and plays
MP3s. Ya have to admire the ingenuity of whoever comes up with these
things, and just shake your head at the optimism and/or gullibility of
whoever buys them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, NSN wrote:
[...]

For pipe plugs, I still prefer an 8-point socket.

Hey, maybe that's what I should use up all those Sears gift cards on...
I don't actually own any.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in
:

aemeijers wrote:

Agreed, and I won't even use a Crescent for anything that takes more
than a few pounds pull to loosen, other than maybe a square furniture
bolt or nut, gas valve, cleanout plug, or similar. Most are so sloppy
that roundoff is a real risk. Never had any luck with any of the
various flavors of universal wrenches over the years. The TV
commercials never show them being used on old nasty, rusty, rounded,
greasy bolts, for a reason.

Somewhere there is a museum honoring the designers of all the goofy
tools sold on late-night TV ads,

My guess is at the entrance of the museam is a Ripley's wax figure of
Billy Mays.

the combination
wrench/hammer/screwdriver/multimeter etc. that also makes coffee and
plays MP3s. Ya have to admire the ingenuity of whoever comes up with
these things, and just shake your head at the optimism and/or
gullibility of whoever buys them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:25 pm, NSN wrote:
[...]

Wow, Sears' web site is a festering piece of ****. So is S-K tools.

but I found a set of five 8-point sockets (oddly, Craftsman brand) on
fleaBay for under $10 with shipping. Happy birthday to me.

Still need to find something to buy at Sears with all those gift cards.
Maybe I should just save up and buy an air compressor (do they still
sell Ingersoll-Rand at Sears?)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"DGDevin" wrote in
:

aemeijers wrote:

[...]

In my own defense, I have never paid retail for weird tools. A friend or
relative buys one, or they show up at a garage sale for a quarter. For
free or for a quarter, I'll give them a try, once. Almost always, the
weird tools fail the 'hand feel' test. If it feels wrong in hand, the
odds of it actually be useful (or used) are pretty slim. Hand feel is
impacted both by design and material/manufacturing quality. A good
design made out of crap is little more useful than a bad design made
like a swiss watch. I have, at times, bought a garage sale tool because
it felt right, even if I had no particular need for it.

--
aem sends...

BS Universal jw Metalworking 10 December 11th 08 02:03 AM
ok, what is this wrench really? William Noble Metalworking 8 December 12th 07 05:28 AM
hot wrench Grant Erwin Metalworking 10 February 13th 06 12:59 AM
Best Universal Remote? [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 January 28th 06 06:21 AM
Where can I get a wrench like this? plh Metalworking 20 September 11th 05 06:46 AM