drywall which got wet

Old March 10th 09, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default drywall which got wet

Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. Can I lightly sand it and paint over it? What
would you suggest? Thanks.

Old March 11th 09, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. Can I lightly sand it and paint over it? What
would you suggest? Thanks.

Depends on if you're married...

Old March 11th 09, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:
wrote:
Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. Can I lightly sand it and paint over it? What
would you suggest? Thanks.

Not much can be done (satisfactorily at least) w/ drywall that has been
wet other than replace it.

Well, depends on how wet for how long.

If the drywall is breaking up, replacement is the only
sensible option.

But if the water damage is minor/cosmetic, a simpler
fix might be very viable. Sand and then seal the area
with an oil based primer (Kilz or similar). Then paint.

It's worked perfectly for me a couple of times. Those
repairs are completely invisible and they were made
several years ago.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Old March 11th 09, 04:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Now hear this" wrote in message
wrote in message
Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. Can I lightly sand it and paint over it? What
would you suggest? Thanks.

Depends on if you're married...

If it is spongey to the touch and the paper has seperated from the drywall ,
getting it "wet" again by painting it will make the paper bubble up and the
drywall possibly crumble...Without photos only you know how bad it is...Good
luck...

Old March 11th 09, 07:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. Can I lightly sand it and paint over it? What
would you suggest? Thanks.

How bad is it? If really bad, will have to be replaced but that's not as
hard as it sounds.

If just a bit bubbled (can barely feel it) let it completely dry then
consider possibly putting a 'bathroom type' (vinyl sort of) wall paper over
it after sanding smooth *lightly* through any bubbled paint. It will have
to be very minimal damage or the wallpaper will bubble and not adhere, or
you'll see imperfections through the paper.

Don't use the standard 'paper' but stuff meant for bathrooms. it's a bit
thicker and can handle a reasonable dampness load. Also it's washable.

Old March 11th 09, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:53*pm, wrote:
Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. *I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. *Can I lightly sand it and paint over it? *What
would you suggest? *Thanks.

If there is no tile on it then ripping out a patch of drywall to the
studs and replacing it is just as easy as sanding it IMHO. Cut the
bad drywall out to the nearest stud centers, screw on a patch, mud/
tape it, sand, paint. Mold is a living organism and will only
multiply over time.

Old March 11th 09, 11:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 07:27:59 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

On Mar 10, 6:53*pm, wrote:
Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. *I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. *Can I lightly sand it and paint over it?
*What would you suggest? *Thanks.

If there is no tile on it then ripping out a patch of drywall to the
studs and replacing it is just as easy as sanding it IMHO. Cut the
bad drywall out to the nearest stud centers, screw on a patch, mud/
tape it, sand, paint. Mold is a living organism and will only
multiply over time.

Around a shower you should be using BlueBoard or GreenBoard (I think
they are the same). They are a special drywall made for wet areas and
hold up better. Standard drywall is not a good choice around showers.
I would rip out all the drywall on the walls around the whole shower,
and replace it with the blue/green board. You likely got mold in
there. If you do, wash the studs with bleach water and let them dry.
Hopefully there are no tiles to replace. Patching soaked drywall will
only extend it's life, but is not a permanent solution, and if there's
mold, it's still there. (and there probably is mold). You dont have
to mess with the ceiling, unless it's damaged too.

I have a question to add to my reply. Maybe someone else can answer
this. When using blue/green board, is there a waterproof joint
compound made for it? ANYONE?????
I'd probably use the fiberglass joint tape too, not the paper!

Cement board is what you want in wet areas. The greenboard was used
there for a while, but it doesn't work much better than plain
wallboard. Use the greenboard in the _rest_ of the bathroom to fight
steamy air, and use cement board in the shower and around the tub.

With cement board, you tape the seams with mortar and fiberglass tape.

I recommend you put a waterproof membrane behind the cement board.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

drywall cruel_girl Home Repair 7 June 26th 07 07:56 PM
how do i fix drywall???? [email protected] Home Repair 15 January 12th 07 02:33 AM
Drywall sag Eigenvector Home Repair 22 December 27th 06 01:43 AM
how much drywall mud? [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 15th 06 06:16 PM
Thanks for the drywall tip Backlash Home Repair 0 May 7th 05 01:40 PM