Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Proper Primer on Wood before Gloss Enamel

Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will
adhere properly for outdoor use. Any guidance as to what "proper
primer" is, and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would
work better. Thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2009 10:47 PM Albert spake thus:

Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will
adhere properly for outdoor use. Any guidance as to what "proper
primer" is, and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would
work better.

Oil-based primer would be my choice, as well as oil-based enamel, rather
than latex (water-based). You could use a water-based enamel if you
prefer. Oil-based flows and adheres better.

You should, of course, get both the primer and enamel in exterior paint.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will
adhere properly for outdoor use. Any guidance as to what "proper
primer" is, and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would
work better. Thanks for any help.

Take a blank sign by a real paint store. Tell them what the printer
said. They'll sell you everything you need, and they'll tell you
exactly how to do each step.

Or you can call me, and I'll do it.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 1:47*am, Albert wrote:
Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. *Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will
adhere properly for outdoor use. *Any guidance as to what "proper
primer" is, and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would
work better. *Thanks for any help.

They sell Ben Moore paint and California Paints at my local HW store,
so I would get this primer:

http://tinyurl.com/d9hpek

and this paint:

http://www.californiapaints.com/ExteriorPaint.html#oil

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 22:47:38 -0800, Albert wrote:

Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will adhere
properly for outdoor use. Any guidance as to what "proper primer" is,
and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would work better.
Thanks for any help.

Question:

Are you painting the wood, then attaching the graphic on top of the gloss
enamel? and the graphic is exposed directly to outdoor weather?

Or

Are you priming the wood, attaching the graphic then coating the wood and
graphic with a clear gloss acrylic enamel? Is the coating you are adding
exposed to the outdoor weather?

BTW: If anyone asks me about Outdoors and Enamel, my first guess will
always be Rust-O-Leum regardless of material being coated; primer and top
coat paint. I just don't see anything being adhered (attached?) to the
fully cured gloss enamel of rustoleum with out a good scratching with a
3M finishing pad. Even then, maybe, with a good quality contact cement
adhesive.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Again wrote:
[...]

........unless adhesive is used?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2009 10:42 AM Phil Again spake thus:

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 22:47:38 -0800, Albert wrote:

Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will adhere
properly for outdoor use. Any guidance as to what "proper primer" is,
and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would work better.
Thanks for any help.

Question:

Are you painting the wood, then attaching the graphic on top of the gloss
enamel? and the graphic is exposed directly to outdoor weather?

I think the print he's trying to attach works something like a decal,
which must be applied over a glossy surface (I know, seems kind of
counter-intuitive, as usually we want to apply stuff over a flat surface
that has more "tooth", but that's the way it works).

Presumably the adhered print could then be top-coated with a clear
protective coating of some sort.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 22:47:38 -0800 (PST), Albert
wrote:

Painting some wooden signs that are going to have digital prints
adherred to it. Sign shop told me to paint them with the "proper
primer" and then a "gloss enamel" so that the digital prints will
adhere properly for outdoor use. Any guidance as to what "proper
primer" is, and are there different kinds of "gloss enamel" that would
work better. Thanks for any help.

Use the primer as recommended by the finish coat (the enamel you are
using). Using the same brand as the enamel paint would be a good
choice.