Cleaning Ceramic tile for reuse

Old March 7th 09, 11:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Ceramic tile for reuse

First..let me thank everyone who responded to my earlier post about
matching the existing tile. Nothing has been found so I will have to
come up with a pattern in a contrasting style/color.

While taking the old tile up about 12 tiles were broken and need
replacement. To do this I had to take up about 27 tiles. This means that
about 15 tiles can be reused. These old tiles have grout on the edges
and mastic on the bottom side. The mastic appears to be some sort of
clear or light colored plastic.

To the maximum extent possible I intend to reuse the 15 existing tile.
What is the easiest way to remove the old grout and mastic without
damaging the reused tile?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ
Old March 7th 09, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ernie Willson wrote in
m:

First..let me thank everyone who responded to my earlier post about
matching the existing tile. Nothing has been found so I will have to
come up with a pattern in a contrasting style/color.

While taking the old tile up about 12 tiles were broken and need
replacement. To do this I had to take up about 27 tiles. This means that
about 15 tiles can be reused. These old tiles have grout on the edges
and mastic on the bottom side. The mastic appears to be some sort of
clear or light colored plastic.

To the maximum extent possible I intend to reuse the 15 existing tile.
What is the easiest way to remove the old grout and mastic without
damaging the reused tile?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

solvent for the mastic(paint stripper?),and a grinding wheel for the grout.

although there may be some chemical or solution that would break loose the
grout,without damaging the tile's glaze.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 8th 09, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 6:31*pm, Ernie Willson wrote:
First..let me thank everyone who responded to my earlier post about
matching the existing tile. Nothing has been found so I will have to
come up with a pattern in a contrasting style/color.

While taking the old tile up about 12 tiles were broken and need
replacement. To do this I had to take up about 27 tiles. This means that
about 15 tiles can be reused. These old tiles have grout on the edges
and mastic on the bottom side. The mastic appears to be some sort of
clear or light colored plastic.

To the maximum extent possible I intend to reuse the 15 existing tile.
What is the easiest way to remove the old grout and mastic without
damaging the reused tile?

Thanks,

EJ in NJ

You might spend more time screwing with a few tiles than redoing the
whole bath maybe, and it may fail, so try different ideas, solvents
like laquer thinner might remove glue, acids might remove or loosen
grouts, but ruin the tile basing.
Old March 8th 09, 11:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 18:31:57 -0500, Ernie Willson
wrote:

While taking the old tile up about 12 tiles were broken and need
replacement. To do this I had to take up about 27 tiles. This means that
about 15 tiles can be reused. These old tiles have grout on the edges
and mastic on the bottom side.

Were good gloves. You can end up with six stitches on one finger. If
that happens use white cotton and duct tape. Finish the day out and
visit the local med center.

Salvage tile and you can get cut... just sayin'

Old March 8th 09, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ernie Willson
wrote:

First..let me thank everyone who responded to my earlier post about
matching the existing tile. Nothing has been found so I will have to
come up with a pattern in a contrasting style/color.

While taking the old tile up about 12 tiles were broken and need
replacement. To do this I had to take up about 27 tiles. This means that
about 15 tiles can be reused. These old tiles have grout on the edges
and mastic on the bottom side. The mastic appears to be some sort of
clear or light colored plastic.

To the maximum extent possible I intend to reuse the 15 existing tile.
What is the easiest way to remove the old grout and mastic without
damaging the reused tile?

I just did the same thing to repair some greenwall on a shower wall. The
backs of the tile had tile adhesive (brownish) rather than thinset, along
with some of the paper from the greenwall. There were bits of grout on the
edges of the tile. I soaked the tiles for a day or so, but this didn't
loosen the mastic, though the paper did come off easily, but this didn't
do much good. I was able to get the mastic off two ways: 1) scraping with
a 5 in 1 or putty knife while the tile was on a hard surface with a cloth
protecting the glaze. Took some time, but was successful. 2) used a
grinder with a diamond blade on it. It caused dust, but I was outside. You
could also use a grinder wheel.

For the grout, using a narrow putty knife from the back edge worked for
most of it. Put the knife on the "lip" of the grout and a sharp blow with
the heel of my hand. Also was able to force bits of it off with just my
hand. Backup method was the diamond blade on the grinder, but this runs
the risk of damaging the edge of the tile, the bumps on the edge or the
glaze.

Took about an hour total, including clean up, for 27 tiles.

If the adhesive is thinset, then soaking the tiles for several days helps.
I ran mine through the diswasher, and cleaned up the bits that were on the
drain screen.

--
charles
Old March 8th 09, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 7:42*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
In article , Ernie Willson

wrote:
[...]

Tile can take a lot of heat. I have cleaned them up with a torch. The
heat will cause grout and thinset to break down and burn mastic off
without hurting the tile.

Jimmie
Old March 10th 09, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Jimmie...It sounded like a good idea, however, when I heated a test tile
up to the point that the mastic was starting to burn the tile cracked. I
guess it depends on the tile in question.

EJ in NJ