Leaking Insinkerator Badger 5 Plus 5

Old February 24th 09, 03:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking Insinkerator Badger 5 Plus 5

This unit has a few years on it and recently began leaking. The leak
is coming from the location shown he

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/562/badger5.jpg

I do see alot of posts about leaking from the bottom, but that isn't
the case with this unit. The upper part with the name of the unit
appears to be a decorative shroud of sorts, it moves around some and
the leak is seeping from under it. I've looked inside from the sink
end and nothing appears unusual there.

I've also looked at where it mates with the sink and that does not
appear to be the source, but I'm going to tighten it a bit and see
what happens anyway.
Old February 24th 09, 05:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

You most likely have a corroded grinding chamber. The Badger is made
from cast magnesium (or something like that) and when it corrodes, it
eats right through the side up near the sink. Remove the noise
reducing shroud and check for leak in the upper body of the unit. If
you find any, the disposer is toast.

If the body appears to be in good shape, then use the stopper and fill
the sink with water. Then pull the stopper. If the rubber gasket is
leaking you'll see it right away. You can buy a replacement gasket at
any home center or hardware store. They're very easy to replace.

Old February 24th 09, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

This unit has a few years on it and recently began leaking. The leak
is coming from the location shown he

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/562/badger5.jpg

I believe I have a model number 555.
I remember reading on the package, the unit has a lifetime
guarantee. Supposedly all I have to do is call them and
they come to the house and repair/replace.
Old February 24th 09, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 9:42*am, Dan Espen
wrote:
writes:
This unit has a few years on it and recently began leaking. *The leak
is coming from the location shown he

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/562/badger5.jpg

I believe I have a model number 555.
I remember reading on the package, the unit has a lifetime
guarantee. *Supposedly all I have to do is call them and
they come to the house and repair/replace.

I was under the impression that the 555 is not one of the "Badger"
line. The 555 is a higher end ISE model.

I installed an ISE 555SS in another home in 2003 or so.....it
developed a problem.
Instead of invoking the warranty, I replaced it myself on my own
schedule.

Later I found out that the warranty covered in home labor & a new unit
(which I returned to HD)

The Badger line is lower end ..... like a "contractor" special. In
SoCal condos & tract homes got them as original equipment (Badger or
Badger3's) They used to not have a shroud but looks like a shroud got
added.

My neighbor just picked up a used B3 on craigslist to replace his
leaking Badger. My experience with the Badger line is.....dont expect
them to outlast the warranty by much.

cheers
Bob
Old February 25th 09, 01:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I found the receipt and manual. I purchased this thing in 2001 and
the warranty was 2 years. I'll pull the unit and see what's going
on. I will most likely attempt a JBWeld patch if I find the chamber
has corroded. Looking from the drain side it actually does not look
too bad, but visibility is limited.
Old February 25th 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 5:58*am, wrote:
I found the receipt and manual. *I purchased this thing in 2001 and
the warranty was 2 years. *I'll pull the unit and see what's going
on. *I will most likely attempt a JBWeld patch if I find the chamber
has corroded. *Looking from the drain side it actually does not look
too bad, but visibility is limited.

Sounds like the unit is toast.....2009 for a 2001 purchase, you did
well.

My suggestion is find a higher end ISE on craigslist....or another
Badger for cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Badger-5-Garbage...QQcmdZViewItem

probably not worth it when you can get a new one for $75 + shipping
online

cheers
Bob

Badger Shaving Brush Knots Pete & Kathy Woodturning 20 April 4th 07 05:15 AM
Insinkerator vs. Sears mm Home Repair 3 August 22nd 06 09:25 PM
Replacement Badger 1 Garbage Disposal [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 31st 06 04:54 AM
Insinkerator 333 pet Home Repair 5 October 22nd 04 08:47 PM