Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stihl chainsaw has no spark

My MS290 chainsaw has no spark. All the wire leads coming out of the mag.
read grounded on my meter. Whats next.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

rick rodgers wrote:
My MS290 chainsaw has no spark. All the wire leads coming out of the mag.
read grounded on my meter. Whats next.
-------------------------------------

turn the switch on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the switch.

Reset the magneto. Clean the rust off the pickups on the magneto
and flywheel - this probably doesn't make any difference, but it
makes me feel better.

Make sure you have a good plug.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"rick rodgers" wrote in message
om...

My MS290 chainsaw has no spark. All the wire leads coming out of
the mag.
read grounded on my meter. Whats next.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
Check the switch.

Reset the magneto. Clean the rust off the pickups on the magneto and
flywheel - this probably doesn't make any difference, but it makes me feel
better.

Make sure you have a good plug.

next.

IMHO, you are not testing it right. Clean off the mag and flywheel. Put in
a new spark plug, but don't put it in. Make sure switch is on. Have wife
hold spark plug in one hand, and the metal cylinder part in the other. Pull
HARD to see if you get a good spark. Works with brothers-in-law and
smartass teenagers, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 4:21*pm, (rick rodgers)
wrote:
My MS290 chainsaw has no spark. All the wire leads coming out of the mag.
read grounded on my meter. Whats next.

Take it to your nearest licensed Stihl dealer for repair. No user
serviceable parts inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
Check the switch.

Reset the magneto. Clean the rust off the pickups on the magneto
and flywheel - this probably doesn't make any difference, but it
makes me feel better.

Makes me feel better too ;-) I always put a little motor oil on it to help
prevent further rust.

Not sure what you mean by "reset the magneto" but sometimes the "air gap" is
off and needs to be readjusted. This is the space between the ignition
coil/module and the flywheel. If you don't have the specs for the gap size
I've gotten good results many times by simply using a thin card or a piece
of paper folded twice and spacing it that way.

Other possible causes a spark lead shorted to ground, kill wire shorted
to ground, and if it's old then a bad condensor or dirty points or points
out of adjustment. If it's an electronic ignition module and it's not
shorted to ground and the air gap is OK then I'd say it's no good unless,
for some strange reason, your flywheel magnet lost it's magnetism. Beating
on it with a hammer to remove the flywheel can supposedly do that.