Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior Door Knob Replacement Question

Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in our
house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. Our house is
over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of just a small
half
moon shape, or half circle shape, that the spindle went through and
then there were the two small round holes for the screws to connect
the two sides of the knob. Replacing them 10 years ago was easy. Now,
recently I had to replace another one and I went to two
different stores and it seems the standard now is the hole in the
door
is a large couple inch circle. Am I right that this is the new
standard? Or does
anyone know if I can still get the doorknobs that fit the smaller
half-
moon door hole?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2009 10:48 AM Jeffy3 spake thus:

Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in our
house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. Our house is
over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of just a small
half moon shape, or half circle shape, that the spindle went through
and then there were the two small round holes for the screws to
connect the two sides of the knob. Replacing them 10 years ago was
easy. Now, recently I had to replace another one and I went to two
different stores and it seems the standard now is the hole in the
door is a large couple inch circle. Am I right that this is the new
standard? Or does anyone know if I can still get the doorknobs that
fit the smaller half- moon door hole?

You can, but not at the places you're looking.

Building supply stores, whether chain "borgs" like Home Despot or
decent, locally-owned lumberyards, won't have old door hardware like
yours. You need to find a used or recycled building materials store. I
have no idea if there are any in your area, but if you live in or near a
metropolitan area of any decent size, there'll likely be one or more of
these places around.

I just bought a new-old lockset for a door I'm adding to a client's
house. Paid $50 for it, at a high-end building salvage business (Ohmega
Salvage in Berkeley, CA), but it was well worth it.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 2:06*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

I wonder when the standard changed? Like I said I bought new ones
around ten years ago at the borg chains and had no problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:

I wonder when the standard changed? Like I said I bought new ones
around ten years ago at the borg chains and had no problem.

The company that made half-moon drill bits went out of business?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in our
house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. Our house is
over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of just a small
half
moon shape, or half circle shape, that the spindle went through and
then there were the two small round holes for the screws to connect
the two sides of the knob. Replacing them 10 years ago was easy. Now,
recently I had to replace another one and I went to two
different stores and it seems the standard now is the hole in the
door
is a large couple inch circle. Am I right that this is the new
standard? Or does
anyone know if I can still get the doorknobs that fit the smaller
half-
moon door hole?

Sounds like old mortise style locks.

The last time I needed one, believe it or not, K-mart of all places stocked
the glass knobs. I have also seen the glass ones at Lowes.

If you are looking for the brass plated ones I surmise that Google is your
best friend.

A salvage yard might yield some real brass ones that you could shine up.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 4:44*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Jeffy3" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure what you mean. I wasn't talking anything about the locks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote:
Over ten years ago I pretty much replaced all the doorknobs in our
house as the old ones were corroded or scuzzy looking. Our house is
over 50 years old and the hole in each door was sort of just a small
half
moon shape, or half circle shape, that the spindle went through and
then there were the two small round holes for the screws to connect
the two sides of the knob. Replacing them 10 years ago was easy. Now,
recently I had to replace another one and I went to two
different stores and it seems the standard now is the hole in the
door
is a large couple inch circle. Am I right that this is the new
standard? Or does
anyone know if I can still get the doorknobs that fit the smaller
half-
moon door hole?

There's plenty of the older style cast brass and/or glass doorknobs
available on eBay, like these:

http://tinyurl.com/cckqpd

About 7 years ago I adapted an antique doorknob onto the inside of the
modern lockset on our home's front door. I liked the finished appearance
so much I got carried away and during the next few months I did the same
thing for almost every other doorknob in our home:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/knob.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2009 1:52 PM Jeffy3 spake thus:

On Feb 13, 4:44 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Jeffy3" wrote in message

[...]

So what exactly do you need--the entire lock? Or just the knobs? Not
clear from your post.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that
doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 4:44 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Jeffy3" wrote in message

[...]

I thought you were looking for door knobs / handles.

Did I mis-read your post?

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like Kwikset brand, to me. You can either buy more
Kwikset, or you can have some like a locksmith drill the
proper cross bore hole so that you won't have this problem
again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The standard is the same. Problem is, your door prep isn't
standard. Go with the standard cross bore and edge bore, and
nearly any brand of door knob will fit.

The big box stores carry different brands, now. They are
more standard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeffy3" wrote in message

I wonder when the standard changed? Like I said I bought new
ones
around ten years ago at the borg chains and had no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

I wonder when the standard changed? Like I said I bought new ones
around ten years ago at the borg chains and had no problem.

The standard has been changed for at least 40 years. I've done doors that
long and have never used anything but the standard lockset with the 2"
through hole. I have come across the old style on doors in older homes.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

Which brands use the 2" through hole? I've never used one,
in 20 years of locksmithing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DT" wrote in message

The standard has been changed for at least 40 years. I've
done doors that
long and have never used anything but the standard lockset
with the 2"
through hole. I have come across the old style on doors in
older homes.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article ,
says...

Which brands use the 2" through hole? I've never used one,
in 20 years of locksmithing.

Oh, come on Stormin. Schlage, Kwikset, Defiant, they all use the 2"
hole through the door face, and a 7/8" hole in the edge. You use an
installation set like this one to drill the holes, adjustable for either
a 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" backset. Every new pre-hung door I have ever
seen comes pre-drilled with a 2" hole for each lockset and dead bolt.
Are we talking about different things, here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Tool-17...stallation-Kit
_W0QQitemZ390029833640

--
Dennis