need a replacement float for fuel oil tank gauge

Old February 5th 09, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

Default need a replacement float for fuel oil tank gauge

my float on my antique oil tank gauge has become cracked so it no
longer floats on the surface. I'd like to replace it because the gauge
still works great - giving me a very accurate read -by number - for
how much fuel is left in the tank, as opposed to just telling me if I
have 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 tank etc. I can't seem to find anything online
specifically used for this purpose. Can anyone think of something else
I can hook onto the end of this wire that is heavy enough to pull the
cord out of the gauge yet light enough to float on top of the oil?
Old February 6th 09, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
my float on my antique oil tank gauge has become cracked so it no
longer floats on the surface. I'd like to replace it because the gauge
still works great - giving me a very accurate read -by number - for
how much fuel is left in the tank, as opposed to just telling me if I
have 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 tank etc. I can't seem to find anything online
specifically used for this purpose. Can anyone think of something else
I can hook onto the end of this wire that is heavy enough to pull the
cord out of the gauge yet light enough to float on top of the oil?

I'm guessing you've got a old Scully "Uni Gauge" or the newer version
called a "Golden Gauge" having a cylindrical float with a necked down
section midway along its length where the string ties.

Serendipitously, I was the Chief Engineer for Scully until about 33
years ago.

You could try calling the number(s) on this page:

http://www.scully.com/ct_index.html

Maybe if you sweet talked them they'd give you a new float.

If not, and faced with the same problem I'd try and find a small plastic
bottle with cap having about the same volume as the cracked float and
see if you can wrap a wire sling around it which would give you a place
to attach the gauge's string at its mid point. If it needs more weight
you could put some pebbles or whatever inside it.

Good Luck,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Old February 6th 09, 02:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:49:46 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

my float on my antique oil tank gauge has become cracked so it no
longer floats on the surface. I'd like to replace it because the gauge
still works great - giving me a very accurate read -by number - for
how much fuel is left in the tank, as opposed to just telling me if I
have 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 tank etc. I can't seem to find anything online
specifically used for this purpose. Can anyone think of something else
I can hook onto the end of this wire that is heavy enough to pull the
cord out of the gauge yet light enough to float on top of the oil?

How about a babyfood jar with an eye soldered to the lid??
Old February 6th 09, 06:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Feb 5, 7:11*pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Jeff, that's so funny that what you recommended is exactly what I came
up with! I found an old bubble bottle and got a big old drill bit in
it for some weight. I am going to soak it in water overnight so I can
get as much of the label off before I sink it tomorrow. The gauge
still works great, I'm excited that I'll be able to save it. I got a
fill up today of 204 gallons and the gauge said 65 this morning before
I left the house - I assume that means I have about 5 gallons of
sludge at the bottom of my tank!
Old February 6th 09, 04:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

x-no-archive:

Jeff, that's so funny that what you recommended is exactly what I came
up with! I found an old bubble bottle and got a big old drill bit in
it for some weight. I am going to soak it in water overnight so I can
get as much of the label off before I sink it tomorrow. The gauge
still works great, I'm excited that I'll be able to save it. I got a
fill up today of 204 gallons and the gauge said 65 this morning before
I left the house - I assume that means I have about 5 gallons of
sludge at the bottom of my tank!- Hide quoted text -

if the gauge is that old, you might want to check the condition of
the bottom of the TANK as well.

Mark

Old February 8th 09, 03:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Feb 6, 11:29*am, wrote:
x-no-archive:

Jeff, that's so funny that what you recommended is exactly what I came
up with! I found an old bubble bottle and got a big old drill bit in
it for some weight. I am going to soak it in water overnight so I can
get as much of the label off before I sink it tomorrow. The gauge
still works great, I'm excited that I'll be able to save it. I got a
fill up today of 204 gallons and the gauge said 65 this morning before
I left the house - I assume that means I have about 5 gallons of
sludge at the bottom of my tank!- Hide quoted text -

if the gauge *is that old, you might want to check the condition of
the bottom of the TANK as well.

Mark

The bottom of the tank looks pretty good, a tiny bit of rust but seems
rock solid to the touch. Any other warning signs I should be looking
for?

Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank k-man Home Repair 8 September 25th 08 04:30 PM
Niveau Watchman fuel oil tank volume gauge. willshak Home Repair 6 December 21st 07 02:14 PM
Old fuel tank gauge? ? ? Ray Home Repair 11 August 17th 07 04:46 PM
toilet tank float grodenhiATgmailDOTcom Home Repair 9 November 28th 05 05:26 PM
fuel tank replacement ? thurston ackerman Home Repair 3 August 20th 04 12:21 AM