Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange faucet behavior

Strange to me, anyway. Nary, nary a plumber.

I got a old kitchen faucet, washer-type (or compression) very similar to
the one depicted at:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/le...r-faucets.aspx

I turn the hot to, say, 30% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 10%,
eventually stops altogether.

I turn the hot to, say, 70% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 40%
or less.

Figgered it had to do with the water going from cold to hot, but it does
pretty much the same when the water at the faucet has already reached full
temperature.

Any ideas?

TIA
Puddin'

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:

Strange to me, anyway. Nary, nary a plumber.

I got a old kitchen faucet, washer-type (or compression) very similar to
the one depicted at:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/le...r-faucets.aspx

I turn the hot to, say, 30% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 10%,
eventually stops altogether.

I turn the hot to, say, 70% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 40%
or less.

Figgered it had to do with the water going from cold to hot, but it does
pretty much the same when the water at the faucet has already reached full
temperature.

Any ideas?

Can't view that page here, but my guess is that loose stem packing is
allowing the water pressure / flow to rotate the valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 15:36:34 -0600, "Pete C." wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

Strange to me, anyway. Nary, nary a plumber.

I got a old kitchen faucet, washer-type (or compression) very similar to
the one depicted at:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/le...r-faucets.aspx

I turn the hot to, say, 30% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 10%,
eventually stops altogether.

I turn the hot to, say, 70% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 40%
or less.

Figgered it had to do with the water going from cold to hot, but it does
pretty much the same when the water at the faucet has already reached full
temperature.

Any ideas?

Can't view that page here, but my guess is that loose stem packing is
allowing the water pressure / flow to rotate the valve.

1.) The packing is just O-ring(s).

2.) The mechanism threads straight down in the usual fashion (clockwise
to close/shut-off). If your guess were accurate, wouldn't it
increase rather than decrease flow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you meant that the handle is actually turning? If that's the case,
I have no idea.

If not, maybe the wrong kind of washer, and it gets compressed when
the faucet is closed and slowly expands after it's opened?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:04:23 -0800 (PST), Larry Fishel wrote:

Do you meant that the handle is actually turning? If that's the case,
I have no idea.

No, I've not seen the handle actually turn.

If not, maybe the wrong kind of washer, and it gets compressed when
the faucet is closed and slowly expands after it's opened?

Loose washer screw. Possible, I suppose, tho you'd think
the water pressure would hold it up?

The washer that's in it has been in service a long time.
Used to work fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Strange to me, anyway. Nary, nary a plumber.

I got a old kitchen faucet, washer-type (or compression) very similar to
the one depicted at:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/le...r-faucets.aspx

I turn the hot to, say, 30% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe
10%,
eventually stops altogether.

I turn the hot to, say, 70% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe
40%
or less.

Figgered it had to do with the water going from cold to hot, but it does
pretty much the same when the water at the faucet has already reached full
temperature.

Any ideas?

TIA
Puddin'

I have experienced this and believe it is due to expansion of the washer and
stem from the heat. Some faucets and washers seem to be more prone to this
and wear in the threads might be a factor.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 7, 8:42*pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

[...]

Don Young- Hide quoted text -

Change the valves as they are properly worn how old are they , also
are they opened or closed when you put them in .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
Strange to me, anyway. Nary, nary a plumber.

I got a old kitchen faucet, washer-type (or compression) very similar to
the one depicted at:

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/le...r-faucets.aspx

I turn the hot to, say, 30% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 10%,
eventually stops altogether.

I turn the hot to, say, 70% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 40%
or less.

Figgered it had to do with the water going from cold to hot, but it does
pretty much the same when the water at the faucet has already reached full
temperature.

Any ideas?

TIA
Puddin'

it's the washer swelling up. pretty normal for that type of seal.