Warped French Door

Old January 24th 09, 11:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Warped French Door

I have a single French door between my kitchen and dining room. Over the
years, it has become warped. (It will still close) Is there any way to
straighten it out, or should I install a new one.

Old January 25th 09, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

When a door warps, it is usually caused by moisture problems in
the door. This can often be caused by not sealing the bottom or
top of the door or deterioration of the finish especially on the
drier side. As to straightening one out, you might take it out on
a hot sunny day and placing the concave side on the ground. This
will tend to drive moisture into the short fibers and dry the long
fibers. It is a hit and miss approach, but may be worth a try.
If you do replace the door, make every effort to equalize the
moisture content on each side of the door and make sure the door
edges are well sealed.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Old January 25th 09, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:
I have a single French door between my kitchen and dining room. Over the
years, it has become warped. (It will still close) Is there any way to
straighten it out, or should I install a new one.

Old fashioned way to flatten a warped table top was to put a damp
cloth on the concave side, wait until it absorbs enough moisture
to flatten out and then clamp it to 2x's until it dries. Works
very quickly and easy to make it over-correct.
Old January 25th 09, 05:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:
I have a single French door between my kitchen and dining room. Over
the years, it has become warped. (It will still close) Is there any
way to straighten it out, or should I install a new one.

Most French things are naturally warped. For example, here's a story about a
Frenchman and his dog.

Not just ANY Frenchman either.

"Former French president Jacques Chirac was rushed to hospital after being
mauled by his own 'clinically depressed' pet dog."

The dog, named "Sumo," was being treated with anti-depressants and group
therapy.

Chirac is expected to survive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl....html?ITO=1490

Fitting a 71' french door into a 74" sliding door opening Greg Kroll Home Repair 4 March 29th 08 12:17 AM
how do you weatherstrip a warped door? Joe Home Repair 12 December 18th 07 08:03 PM
Warped shed door Jay Pique Woodworking 1 July 17th 06 10:58 PM
Best place to buy non-warped door casing ? sm_jamieson UK diy 0 July 17th 06 01:06 PM
Unwarp a warped door? Mike Barnard UK diy 9 February 9th 05 10:40 PM