Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to clean vent for dryer

About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 11:49*pm, Znott wrote:
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. *My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. *My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

Seal it up its to cold to vent
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Znott" wrote in message
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

I push a long thin flexible plumber's snake through mine which is about the
same length as yours-- mine is all rigid duct. Then I tape a big round brush
to the end of the snake and pull it through, I usually need to repeat that a
few times.

I got the brush at HD-- about $6-7 in the cleaning products section.

The other thing I've done is push a shop vac hose in as far as possible from
both ends. Sucking works better than blowing for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jan 23, 11:49 pm, Znott wrote:
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

Seal it up its to cold to vent

Idiotic advice from an idiot

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sharp Dressed Man" wrote in message
"Znott" wrote in message
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

I push a long thin flexible plumber's snake through mine which is about
the same length as yours-- mine is all rigid duct. Then I tape a big round
brush to the end of the snake and pull it through, I usually need to
repeat that a few times.

I got the brush at HD-- about $6-7 in the cleaning products section.

The other thing I've done is push a shop vac hose in as far as possible
from both ends. Sucking works better than blowing for me.

I've used my leaf blower and it works like a charm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Znott" wrote in message
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

I push a long thin flexible plumber's snake through mine which is about
the same length as yours-- mine is all rigid duct. Then I tape a big round
brush to the end of the snake and pull it through, I usually need to
repeat that a few times.

I got the brush at HD-- about $6-7 in the cleaning products section.

The other thing I've done is push a shop vac hose in as far as possible
from both ends. Sucking works better than blowing for me.

I've used my leaf blower and it works like a charm.

How about if you can't get to the outside flapper, because idiot
Previous Owner buried it under a low deck? Mine needs cleaning, but I'm
afraid to apply air pressure for fear of blocking outside end with
debris, or blowing the flapper off entirely and making an exit for warm
air and an entrance for animals. (If deck ever gets rebuilt, there will
be a lift-out 2x2 panel above the vent...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news
"Znott" wrote in message
[...]

Probably not something you want to tackle mid winter -- but maybe cut an
access panel in the existing deck?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

How about if you can't get to the outside flapper, because idiot
Previous Owner buried it under a low deck? Mine needs cleaning, but I'm
afraid to apply air pressure for fear of blocking outside end with
debris, or blowing the flapper off entirely and making an exit for warm
air and an entrance for animals. (If deck ever gets rebuilt, there will
be a lift-out 2x2 panel above the vent...)

--
aem sends...

Can't you unscrew one deck board?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

How about if you can't get to the outside flapper, because idiot
Previous Owner buried it under a low deck? Mine needs cleaning, but I'm
afraid to apply air pressure for fear of blocking outside end with
debris, or blowing the flapper off entirely and making an exit for warm
air and an entrance for animals. (If deck ever gets rebuilt, there will
be a lift-out 2x2 panel above the vent...)

--
aem sends...

Can't you unscrew one deck board?

Nailed, not screwed. 2x6, 12 feet long. I'd have to saw out one bay, 2-3
boards wide, and add back cleats to screw the boards back into. Sure, I
know HOW to do that, and even have the supplies and tools. But list of
undone chores around here is long, and every time I look at that thing,
there always seems to be something else more urgent and/or less
irritating to work on. I probably won't get motivated enough until it
plugs up entirely, and I can't dry clothes at all. I live alone, so the
extra time to dry 4 loads a week is not a big deal, although I'm sure it
isn't doing my gas and electric bills any good. Maybe I'll just pull
apart the nearest run of metal duct on the inside- I can get to that
from a stepladder. (ain't it amazing how much easier it is to
procrastinate without a SWMBO around?)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Znott" wrote in message
About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

*I bought myself a dryer cleaning brush kit online, but I have since seen
them at Lowes. I attach the wands to a drill and push it down the exhaust
end while the dryer is on no heat and with no clothes inside. As I push and
pull out the brush lint comes spewing out. They have a bag to attach to
catch the lint as an extra accessory. I push the brush down until it gets
to the flex then I go and pull out the dryer and clean the flex duct and the
inside of the dryer. I also have a brush to push down the lint trap and
that usually brings out some balls of lint.

I do this once a year because I have found that the drying time is greatly
reduced after I clean the duct which leads to considerable energy savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jan 2009 23:49:02 -0600, Znott wrote:

About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

Clean your dryer vent once or twice a year to increase drying
effeciency and prevent fire. Get a garden hose (not hooked up) and
rubberband a wad of rags to the end of it. Turn the hose as you feed
it into the vent, pull out, turn on the "no heat" setting, repeat
until no more lint comes out. You may need to clean out the back of
the dryer and the ductwork on that end too, if it has been some time.
Cost is nothing if you do it yourself. Cost can be high if you don't
clean it. If you have flex ductwork, replace it with smooth metal for
better airflow and safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 12:07�pm, Phisherman wrote:
[...]

I connect dryer end to shop vac blower stuff some rags on dryer end.
it blows all the junk into thje yard as a large white cloud

drying time much reduced.

A 30 foot run is excessively long, I would try to make it shorter by
relocating dryer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2009 4:42 AM Sanity spake thus:

"ransley" wrote in message

On Jan 23, 11:49 pm, Znott wrote:

About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

Seal it up its to cold to vent

Idiotic advice from an idiot

Oh, that's our ransley all right; got to answer every post, whether or
not he knows ****-all about it.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote:

there always seems to be something else more urgent and/or less irritating
to work on. I probably won't get motivated enough until it plugs up
entirely, and I can't dry clothes at all. I live alone, so the extra time
to dry 4 loads a week is not a big deal, although I'm sure it isn't doing
my gas and electric bills any good. Maybe I'll just pull apart the nearest
run of metal duct on the inside- I can get to that from a stepladder.
(ain't it amazing how much easier it is to procrastinate without a SWMBO
around?)

Snicker, yes dear...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I thought it sounded like a long run as well...Is there a closer exterior
wall for the vent??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:

Once again, without having a clue, ransley rambels on like a fool.
What if his dryer is gas ransley?
Maybe to heat his house he should just burn wood right on the floor in
the middle of his living room.
Ever wonder why a dryer has a vent in the first place?
Dipwad.
Bubba

So what if the dryer is gas?

I grew up with gas space heaters; didn't bother me.

Look! A squirrel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:

So what if the dryer is gas?

I grew up with gas space heaters; didn't bother me.

Look! A squirrel.

Take a look at the new gas VENTLESS fireplaces.
Read the first two pages of the manual.
Nothing but cautions and warnings. Oh, and dont forget that they tell
you to open a window several inches during operation!!
Yeah, that works real well when its 0 degrees outside.
I wonder why they want the window open??
Must have something to do with oxygen, lungs, organs operating
properly, etc.
Bubba

No, it has to do with lawyers. I got six pages of warnings, admonitions,
instructions, and prayers with a new step-stool! (Do not use while operating
heavy machinery, during thunderstorms, while eating licorice, etc.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Znott wrote in
:

About 8 years ago, someone came out and cleaned our vent to the dryer
since it was clogged. My vent begins in the laundry room and travels
about 30 feet and exits out the wall on the side of my home. My wife
was home, so I'm not sure how it was cleaned out.

To clean this myself, what tool or tools would I need and how much
would it cost?

First thing you need to know is what type of vent pipe do you have? If it
were that tin foil type, it can be very easily be damaged with a vent
cleaning brush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2009 9:17 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Bubba wrote:

So what if the dryer is gas?

I grew up with gas space heaters; didn't bother me.

Look! A squirrel.

Take a look at the new gas VENTLESS fireplaces.
Read the first two pages of the manual.
Nothing but cautions and warnings. Oh, and dont forget that they tell
you to open a window several inches during operation!!
Yeah, that works real well when its 0 degrees outside.
I wonder why they want the window open??
Must have something to do with oxygen, lungs, organs operating
properly, etc.

No, it has to do with lawyers. I got six pages of warnings, admonitions,
instructions, and prayers with a new step-stool! (Do not use while operating
heavy machinery, during thunderstorms, while eating licorice, etc.)

You must get a kick out of the Harbor Freight warnings on the packages,
as I do. No matter what the product is, the warning is invariably the same:

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES

Doesn't matter if the product is a tube of glue, a pack of sandpaper or
a hex wrench. I guess that's the Chinese take on how to mimic American
safety warnings.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, it has to do with lawyers. I got six pages of warnings,
admonitions, instructions, and prayers with a new step-stool! (Do
not use while operating heavy machinery, during thunderstorms, while
eating licorice, etc.)

You must get a kick out of the Harbor Freight warnings on the
packages, as I do. No matter what the product is, the warning is
invariably the
same:
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES

Doesn't matter if the product is a tube of glue, a pack of sandpaper
or a hex wrench. I guess that's the Chinese take on how to mimic American
safety warnings.

I discount those warnings, knowing as I do, the Chinese mania for protection
of life and limb.