Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer hums and doesn't spin

I have a dryer that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I
changed the motor #279827 and it still only hums (with or without the belt
attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I
can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart
without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push
the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. ant
suggests?

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

173green wrote:
I have a dryer that stop spining. The motor only hummed but don't spin. I
changed the motor #279827 and it still only hums (with or without the belt
attached). with it humming if I spin the blower wheel (without the belt) I
can get the motor to start spin but once I stop it it will not restart
without spining the blower wheel. I do notice that I don't need to push
the start button it will start hummig once I turn the large knob. ant
suggests?

That motor was mentioned on this page:
http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html
See if that's any help.

If the Start relay isn't closed, the motor shouldn't
do anything/

Typical Whirlpool diagram he
http://applianceguru.com/hello/201/9...pgasdrysch.jpg

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Something is not right. Just the fact that the motor starts without
pushing the start button tells me there a wiring problem someplace.
Remove the start switch and see if its stuck or shorted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:30 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:

motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The Op did not specify if this is a 110 or 220v motor. I dont recall
ever hearing of a 220 motor in a dryer, but I suppose it's possible on
an electric dryer, and it could be running on 110 ????
Just a thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 9:01*am, Jimw wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:30 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:
motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The Op did not specify if this is a 110 or 220v motor. *I dont recall
ever hearing of a 220 motor in a dryer, but I suppose it's possible on
an electric dryer, and it could be running on 110 ????
Just a thought.

He posted on a seperate thread( same subject) one down from this one
its a gas dryer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnR66 wrote:
motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The thing is, she said she replaced the motor and the new one is doing
it too, even with the belt not attached. Parts list for that model
shows no separate capacitor or starting relay.

Either the new motor is dead in the same way as the old one, which
while not impossible is pushing coincidence, or there's a problem with
a part external to the motor, which likely would be the switch or
wiring.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:34:00 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Jan 12, 9:01*am, Jimw wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:30 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:
motors hum because they don't know the words
or
the capacitor or starting relay is bad. Possible bad phase winding.
or
Bearings are bad and require too much torque to get turning.

The Op did not specify if this is a 110 or 220v motor. *I dont recall
ever hearing of a 220 motor in a dryer, but I suppose it's possible on
an electric dryer, and it could be running on 110 ????
Just a thought.

He posted on a seperate thread( same subject) one down from this one
its a gas dryer.

I missed that post, but then it's a 110 motor.
Like I said earlier, hook the motor wires to a cord and plug it in.
If it works properly, there's a wiring problem. Otherwise motor(s)
are defective.