Cutting / measuring odd angles for miter cuts

Old January 7th 09, 04:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting / measuring odd angles for miter cuts

Hoping someone can give me a tip about how to get good cuts for
quarter round molding where the angle is greater than 90 degrees. With
a normal corner I have no problem cutting the 45 degree angles but I
have a wall that has a bend/corner which is more like 135 degrees
(just guessing). What is the best technique to get a good miter cut
for quarter round in that corner. I have never used a coping saw so
I'm hoping there is a simpler way to measure the angle and make the
cuts with a miter saw.

Thanks for any advice!

Vic

Old January 7th 09, 04:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N

On Jan 7, 11:17*am, Vic wrote:
Hoping someone can give me a tip about how to get good cuts for
quarter round molding where the angle is greater than 90 degrees. With
a normal corner I have no problem cutting the 45 degree angles but I
have a wall that has a bend/corner which is more like 135 degrees
(just guessing). What is the best technique to get a good miter cut
for quarter round in that corner. I have never used a coping saw so
I'm hoping there is a simpler way to measure the angle and make the
cuts with a miter saw.

Thanks for any advice!

Vic

If you have to do it with a miter the easiest way to do it is to take
two pieces of stiff paper, lay them on the two walls at the corner,
then draw a line along the edge of the one piece of paper on the other
piece. Then divide that angle in half with a compass and straightedge
and use that angle to set your miter box.

http://www.mathopenref.com/constbisectangle.html

good luck

nate
Old January 7th 09, 04:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 8:17*am, Vic wrote:
Hoping someone can give me a tip about how to get good cuts for
quarter round molding where the angle is greater than 90 degrees. With
a normal corner I have no problem cutting the 45 degree angles but I
have a wall that has a bend/corner which is more like 135 degrees
(just guessing). What is the best technique to get a good miter cut
for quarter round in that corner. I have never used a coping saw so
I'm hoping there is a simpler way to measure the angle and make the
cuts with a miter saw.

Thanks for any advice!

Vic

Vic-

For molding, the "correct way" for corner joints is a coping saw (but
it's one detail of finish work at I'm to lazy to do),

wrt to greater than 90 deg "miter" cuts......use a square cut chunk of
2x4 as a 90 deg block and clamp it too the miter saw fence. Place
the 1/4 round against the block and set the saw at 45.

It's a little tricky when the "round" face needs to be against the
block.

cheers
Bob
Old January 7th 09, 06:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 11:17*am, Vic wrote:
Hoping someone can give me a tip about how to get good cuts for
quarter round molding where the angle is greater than 90 degrees. With
a normal corner I have no problem cutting the 45 degree angles but I
have a wall that has a bend/corner which is more like 135 degrees
(just guessing). What is the best technique to get a good miter cut
for quarter round in that corner. I have never used a coping saw so
I'm hoping there is a simpler way to measure the angle and make the
cuts with a miter saw.

Thanks for any advice!

Vic

Lots of hints & tips he
http://www.compoundmiter.com/

Old January 7th 09, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:29:07 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor
wrote:

On Jan 7, 11:17*am, Vic wrote:
Hoping someone can give me a tip about how to get good cuts for
quarter round molding where the angle is greater than 90 degrees. With
a normal corner I have no problem cutting the 45 degree angles but I
have a wall that has a bend/corner which is more like 135 degrees
(just guessing). What is the best technique to get a good miter cut
for quarter round in that corner. I have never used a coping saw so
I'm hoping there is a simpler way to measure the angle and make the
cuts with a miter saw.

Thanks for any advice!

Vic

Inside or outside corner? I've made 22 degree +/- cuts to get around
bullnose corner bead.

Lots of hints & tips he
http://www.compoundmiter.com/

Even look at the book while at the orange store.
Old January 8th 09, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 9:17*am, Vic wrote:
Hoping someone can give me a tip about how to get good cuts for
quarter round molding where the angle is greater than 90 degrees. With
a normal corner I have no problem cutting the 45 degree angles but I
have a wall that has a bend/corner which is more like 135 degrees
(just guessing). What is the best technique to get a good miter cut
for quarter round in that corner. I have never used a coping saw so
I'm hoping there is a simpler way to measure the angle and make the
cuts with a miter saw.

Thanks for any advice!

Vic

Here is a suggesstion that works: Half of your corner angle is 135/2
= 67-1/2. Use a 1x4 scrap piece of wood and a mitre saw to shape a
right traingle jig with a 22-1/2 degree angle (meaning the triangle
will have one 90-degree angle, one 22-1/2 angle, and, of course, one
67-1/2 angle). Next, place the jig against the mitre guide with the
22-/12 angle butting at the blade slot, set the blade at zero, and
prop the1/4 round against the jig. Viola! You have a 67-1/2 mitered
angle. If the corner is not exactly 135 degrees, you may want to
adjust the angles of the triangle until you end up with a good fit.
Alternatively, you can go to HD and buy a protractor that will allow
you to mitre any angle. HTH

cutting angles: sal Metalworking 9 September 9th 08 04:37 AM
Ripping miter cuts Vic Baron Woodworking 9 May 1st 07 04:19 PM
Miter Angles for Two Different Board Widths - methods in a.b.p.w charlie b Woodworking 2 May 27th 06 11:49 PM
saw choice for miter cuts Doug Woodworking 9 February 26th 05 10:54 PM
Miter Cuts on Oak faced plywood? Wade Lippman Home Repair 3 August 30th 03 03:44 PM