Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a gas dryer

The connection for the gas input to the dryer is a 3/8" pipe with male
threads. The instructions say to "use an elbow and a 3/8" flare x 3/8"
NPT adapter fitting between the flexible gas connector and the dryer gas
pipe, as needed to avoid kinking."

The inside diameter of the dryer gas pipe is 1/2". But due to wall
thickness, the inside diameter of the male end of the elbow is only
3/8". This means that the area into the elbow is only 9/16 or 56% of
the dryer's input pipe. My concern is that the elbow will restrict the
flow of gas and increase drying times or have some other adverse effects.

Is this a legitimate concern? Are there other types of elbows with
thinner walls? (I'm using a 90-degree street ell.)

Thanks for your comments.

Ray