Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace output temperature

My electronic air filter just died and I substituted a replacement type air
filter. Is there a normal average or rule of thumb to determine if output
temperature is excessive on a gas-fired furnace? I know there are devices to
prevent over heating but I just wondered if this filter was blocking airflow.
The output is 150°F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 3:57*pm, "Sudy Nim" wrote:
My electronic air filter just died and I substituted a replacement type air
filter. Is there a normal average or rule of thumb to determine if output
temperature is excessive on a gas-fired furnace? I know there are devices to
prevent over heating but I just wondered if this filter was blocking airflow.
The output is 150°F.

I read my temp in my manual, but how do you read it on the furnace. I
put a probe just above the furnace under the AC coil and found I has
to hot. I believe your question is good and overlooked since higher
than the range specified would shorten the exchangers life. I have a
lennox condensing with a plastic coated aluminum I think, Its not
known to last so I had it lowered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I drilled a small hole into a duct at the top of the furnace and inserted a
temperature probe similar to a meat thermometer. My manual gives the temperature
rise but not a maximum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 4:57*pm, "Sudy Nim" wrote:
My electronic air filter just died and I substituted a replacement type air
filter. Is there a normal average or rule of thumb to determine if output
temperature is excessive on a gas-fired furnace? I know there are devices to
prevent over heating but I just wondered if this filter was blocking airflow.
The output is 150°F.

Shouldn't matter. The filter is usually placed in the return plenum
before the burners. So the air passing through the filter is just room
temp, not the furnace temp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The air should be twenty or so degrees hotter than the return air. Sounds
like you have too little air flow.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sudy Nim" wrote in message
My electronic air filter just died and I substituted a replacement type air
filter. Is there a normal average or rule of thumb to determine if output
temperature is excessive on a gas-fired furnace? I know there are devices to
prevent over heating but I just wondered if this filter was blocking
airflow.
The output is 150°F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd want to measure about three or four feet away from the furnace. Not
right above it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sudy Nim" wrote in message
I drilled a small hole into a duct at the top of the furnace and inserted a
temperature probe similar to a meat thermometer. My manual gives the
temperature
rise but not a maximum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sudy Nim" wrote in message
My electronic air filter just died and I substituted a replacement type
air
filter. Is there a normal average or rule of thumb to determine if output
temperature is excessive on a gas-fired furnace? I know there are devices
prevent over heating but I just wondered if this filter was blocking
airflow.
The output is 150°F.

Gosh, 150 is a bit hot. Even in a large home, that might make the hot air
out of the register maybe above 135 degrees.

If your furnace has a multi-speed fan, I would suspect a problem there. A
fresh replacement filter not so much.

Yes, I understand that air flow volume and speed will affect the amount of
heat transferred from the fire box heat exchanger, and you suspect the speed
and the air volume has been reduced by the air filter. I presume the
furnace fire box has a upper temperature limit control, and it is working
order. Just not kicking in.

I also presume you have taken the temperature with, and without, the
replacement filter in place. And the result is very little temperature
difference with and without the filter. (10 minutes or so with a filter
won't hurt.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Sudy Nim" wrote in message

My electronic air filter just died and I substituted a replacement type air
filter. Is there a normal average or rule of thumb to determine if output
temperature is excessive on a gas-fired furnace? I know there are devices to
prevent over heating but I just wondered if this filter was blocking
airflow.
The output is 150°F.

There is a design temp rise or output range, he is not talking about
register output.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 4:44*pm, "Sudy Nim" wrote:
I drilled a small hole into a duct at the top of the furnace and inserted a
temperature probe similar to a meat thermometer. My manual gives the temperature
rise but not a maximum.

What are the number ranges it states, I forget but I think I was
lower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sudy Nim" wrote in message
I drilled a small hole into a duct at the top of the furnace and inserted a
temperature probe similar to a meat thermometer. My manual gives the
temperature
rise but not a maximum.

What the specified rise? What's the input air temp?

Is the input air temp + the specified rise = 150?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:37:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The air should be twenty or so degrees hotter than the return air. Sounds
like you have too little air flow.

Stormy, you realy are a ****ing idiot. All furnaces are different.
Most gas furnaces will have a 30 to 60 degree split specified
(single stage gas) and it's different for 2 stage gas, and different
again for a heat pump, and different again if the systems heat strips
are on. If your temp is too high the system will cycle on the high
limit. if it's too low, you'll get rust, etc. Stormy, you should be
ran out of town on a rail as you truly are a complete ****ing moron.

I am the real King and I approve this message.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote in message
"Sudy Nim" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for your replies. The furnace is a Carrier Up-flow Gas-Fired
Natural-Draft model 58GS100CB installed in 1989 with a 2½-ton air conditioner.
It is located in the basement of a small tri-level, 1000 sq. ft. home near
Chicago. The Temp Rise Range is rated 45-75. When installed, the multiple speed
blower was pre-set with jumpers to low for heat and high for cooling.

As close as I can determine the temperatures in Fahrenheit are, basement ambient
air in the room with the furnace 77° the thermostat located on the above ground
level 74°. The input duct at the filter 80° and output duct to the above ground
floor level 140°. The output remained within about a degree or two with or
without a filter. I do not now if this is normal, as I never measured these
until I replaced the electronic filter with a substitute paper type.

As the temperature is the same with and without the filter I assume the airflow
is not blocked but I do not know if this is too high?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Miss Manners says that using more than 275 swear words per usenet post
indicates a need for remedial writing class.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus