Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Default Osmosis filters and septic systems

Over the next few months we're building a new house in a rural area on
25 acres. The 410 foot well is terrific, but the water has a slight
salty taste which apparently is sodium, so we'll have an undersink
reverse osmosis filter for drinking/cooking water, with a sideline
running over to the water dispenser/icemaker in the fridge.

My problem is that RO filters produce about 8 parts waste water for
every 1 part of drinking water. This water is normally routed out to
the drain pipe, which in our case would go to the septic tank. This is
a significant amount of water; for every cup of water you drink from
the RO filter faucet, 8 cups goes down the drain.

Is there SOME way to reroute this RO waste water away from the septic
system? I hate to think of it all going in there. I guess you could
just run a small pvc pipe from under the sink to the yard somewhere,
but that seems kind of ugly-looking. We don't want it going in right
next to the house because it could cause eventual problems with the
foundation.

Please reply to the newsgroup.

Thanks!

Ron M.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 2:29*pm, wrote:
[...]

Since it's nothing but clean water with a few more impurities what's
the worry? it's not going to clog anything, might be able to water a
garden with it.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

First thing is to figure out what the volume you're going to be dealing
with. If it's just drinking and cooking water, chances are that the
extra water going into the septic system isn't going to be worth worrying
about. If it is, you might consider routing the outlet line so it ends
up being used to flush toilets -- it would take a little bit of "Amish
Engineering" but it would probably be fun, too.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Guess I'd be inclined to see how it effects septic. With a good perc it
should not be a problem. Also depends on your household. When I had
a house full of kids with regular flush toilets, I had to have a 2nd
drain field installed but now with just mom and I there is no problem.

Also, have you had water tested for best remediation.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Most fridge mfgrs say not to use RO water for their dispensers or ice
makers. Check with yours b/4 making that connection.

As for the waste water, if you really want to put it to good use and
can afford the up-front investment, do some research on grey-water
recovery systems. Those systems recover shower water and dishwasher
water and use it for flushing toilets. You could just add your RO
wastewater to that system.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:29:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote:
bstev wrote:
[...]

Ron, you use more mater shaving and brushing your teeth each morning
than the grey water an RO produces all day.

First thing is to figure out what the volume you're going to be dealing
with. �If it's just drinking and cooking water, chances are that the
extra water going into the septic system isn't going to be worth
worrying about. �

This is true. The typical RO produces about four times the volume in
grey water but is capable of producing only about three gallons of
filtered water every 24 hours at the most, but the typical household
will only use like a 1 1/2 gallons of filtered water a day... so what
are we talking about here, perhaps 6 gallons of grey water a day/or
like three water-saver toilet flushes. Don't worry about it. If your
septic can't handle six extra gallons of plain water a day then you're
gonna be in trouble anyway... don't ever have company. On a good beer
day most guys can easy pee a couple-three gallons. And that beer
represents that much less RO water they'll drink

If it is, you might consider routing the outlet line so it ends
up being used to flush toilets -- it would take a little bit of "Amish
Engineering" but it would probably be fun, too.

It's pretty simple to bury a length or two of 1" PVC pipe running from
the foundation to a tree or flower bed.. or to wherever the water from
your downspouts from the roof let go.... do yoose have any idea how
many gallons come off the average roof per hour during just an
ordinary light rain... don't lose any sleep over a few dribbles of RO
grey water.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

Rick-Meister wrote:
Most fridge mfgrs say not to use RO water for their dispensers or ice
makers. Check with yours b/4 making that connection.

Nonsense.

As for the waste water, if you really want to put it to good use and
can afford the up-front investment, do some research on grey-water
recovery systems. Those systems recover shower water and dishwasher
water and use it for flushing toilets. You could just add your RO
wastewater to that system.

Um, it's an under-sink RO... it's capable of producing at the very
most 12 gallons of grey water in 24 hours but in normal usage will
probably only produce 6 gallons of grey water a day... research/up
front investment... so for two buckets of water you're gonna build a
friggin' recovery system, does NASA know about this, does your mommy
know she wasted a lotta money attempting to educate you. DUH

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick-Meister wrote:

Most fridge mfgrs say not to use RO water for their dispensers or ice
makers. Check with yours b/4 making that connection.

That would be news to most fridge manufacturers, some of which also make
RO systems the include instructions for feeding refrigerator dispenser /
ice maker connections.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 5:08�pm, Claude Hopper
[...]

Don't put it under the sink, put it in the basement under the sink.
Since they are always running they make the pipes sweat a lot especially
in the summer. It will begin stinking up the under sink with mold. Plus
it's a pain in the butt to change the filters under the sink and much
easier standing on a stool in the basement.

All true but this may come as a surprise, not everyone has a
basement. In fact where people need ROs the most (rural areas) is
where most folks don't have basements.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:29:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Over the next few months we're building a new house in a rural area on
25 acres. The 410 foot well is terrific, but the water has a slight
salty taste which apparently is sodium, so we'll have an undersink
reverse osmosis filter for drinking/cooking water, with a sideline
running over to the water dispenser/icemaker in the fridge.

My problem is that RO filters produce about 8 parts waste water for
every 1 part of drinking water. This water is normally routed out to
the drain pipe, which in our case would go to the septic tank. This is
a significant amount of water; for every cup of water you drink from
the RO filter faucet, 8 cups goes down the drain.

As harmless as any other fairly pure water is to the septic system. the only
time I'd worry about RO discharge is if both a) you drink a LOT of water
(gallons a day) AND b)your soil is marginal in the perk department. Then my
worry would be with saturating the leech field and not the tank.

If you drink a gallon a day, only 8 gallons goes down the drain. Well, 9 if
you're not male and don't use the tree by the back porch :-) A couple of
non-water-saving toilet flushes or a few more minutes in the shower accounts
for that much.

Personal experience is that we interred the septic tank at this cabin in 1970
and it hasn't been touched yet. No water saving toilets and I have a shower
head that makes like a fire nozzle, with all orifices drilled out as
appropriate to use everything the 2 hp pump can supply. Watching people who
have problems vs those who don't, I think that a goodly flow through the
system all the time is probably the most healthy mode.

BTW, most RO systems let you tinker with pressures to change the partition
ratio. That is, you can trade off waste water flow for more dissolved solids.
If it really is a concern to you, tinker with the setting until you don't like
the taste of the water, then crank it back up a little. You might be surprise
at how little has to be removed to make it taste good.

My well is huge (originally meant to support a whole little community) and
taps a flowing underground stream. Before I moved here permanently, the water
would get iron-ish while we were gone. Tasted like nails! Within a day, the
iron taste was apparently gone. the water still has a lot of iron as
evidenced both by testing and the stains on the fixtures BUT. It took only a
slight reduction for the water to taste good again.

Is there SOME way to reroute this RO waste water away from the septic
system? I hate to think of it all going in there. I guess you could
just run a small pvc pipe from under the sink to the yard somewhere,
but that seems kind of ugly-looking. We don't want it going in right
next to the house because it could cause eventual problems with the
foundation.

run the pipe 20 ft or so from your house, dig a decently deep hole 4 or 5 feet
in diameter, fill it with large fist-size gravel, run the pipe in, cover with
clay or whatever dirt is handy and forget about it for the rest of your life.
Run your sink drain there too while you're at it - after the code nazi comes
and goes. If anything is going to harm your tank it'll be crap from the sink.
It hasn't from my sink, equipped with a food disposer, nor my dishwasher but
people worry about things that don't matter. Your little hole in the ground
is essentially a small cesspool and will work quite nicely to digest grease
and other matter from your sink.

Many a cabin in this little settlement has nothing but a buried 55 gal drum as
its septic tank. Many have been here longer than my cabin (built in 1970). Of
course, our sandy soil can't be perk tested. The hole won't hold water long
enough to time it! YMMV with other kinds of soil.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Have you checked w/county/state? Many areas have outlawed the old fashioned
septic tank/leach field in favor of aeration systems. I built in rural area
15 years ago and septics were forbidden then. The water from the system is
chorine treated and animals and birds enjoy it. County checks on a random
basis for purity of discharge.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Twice Retired" wrote:
bstev writes:

[...]

Who gives a rat's b-hind... no under sink sized RO is capable of
producing more than a dozen gallons of grey water, maximum... if your
septic can't handle an extra dozen gallons of water a day then you
better ban bathing. There are indeed RO systems that are used
commercially that can process more water but no one is going to need
such a system for the quantity of filtered water consumed at home.

I've had an RO system for years, it's very rare that I use more than 2
gallons of RO filtered water a day, most days nearer a gallon... each
gallon of RO filtered water produces four gallons of grey water.... I
dump more than that into my septic every day all summer just from two
dehumidifiers. I suppose I could haul that water out into the yard
but what can I say, with some things I'm lazy, the kitchen sink is
closer and I don't like to make it a habit of opening the door during
A/C season. Btw, water in of itself doesn't harm or place any undue
load on septic systems, only solids and chemical laden water does,
detergents and soaps from washing clothes, dishes, bathing is what
taxes septics... in fact running lots of plain water into a septic
system is the best way to keep it healthy... RO and dehumidifier grey
water is plain water, it can't harm your septic, it's actually
medicine for your septic, it helps dilute and flush out the solids and
chemicals. Folks who are stingy with how much plain water they put
into septics are those who have septic problems most often.

Seems many of yoose have no idea how little water is associated with
an RO filter. I use mine first thing each morning to brew a pot of
coffee, I refill like two ice cube trays each day, and I drink maybe
two liters a day... I use some small amount for cooking too, but only
if it becomes part of the dish like with rice, not for draining like
with pasta.

No undersink RO filter produces enough water to have any effect
whatsoever on a septic system... most folks pee more.

The real reason folks are averse to installing an RO is because they
are too cheap to spend a couple hundred bucks to buy the equipment and
no other reason whatsover.... tell their wives ugh, uses too much
water, when in fact it cuts into their boozing bucks. Now if only
someone can design an RO where you pump in water and out comes
Budweiser...

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:48�am, Claude Hopper
wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
"Twice Retired" wrote:
bstev writes:

[...]

It's not really grey water It just has a higher concentration of the
impurities you are filtering out. You could drink it, spread it on your
lawn or wash your car or laundry with it. It's clear, clean water.

It certainly is grey water... sure you can use it to water plants,
even to hose off a filthy car (but it will spot badly) and you'd need
to save a bunch over a long period to accumulate a volume worth teh
effort. But it's not advised to drink the grey water from RO filters,
besides tasting rather foul that water is typically bacteria laden...
RO filters have a lifespan of about ten years... the input side of the
membrane becomes rather filthy.

You could also boil and distill it.

You can also distill your ****... do you have any idea what it would
cost in energy consumption... you are truly brain dead.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:48:45 -0500, Claude Hopper
wrote:

It's not really grey water It just has a higher concentration of the
impurities you are filtering out. You could drink it, spread it on your
lawn or wash your car or laundry with it. It's clear, clean water. You
could also boil and distill it.

Claude,

You've probably noticed that you're arguing with the group's village idiot.
You might as well give it up, because as with all similar people, he has no
concept of being wrong, the usual condition.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.johndearmond.com -- best little blog on the net!
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
Hell is truth seen too late. -Hobbs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's not really grey water It just has a higher concentration of the
impurities you are filtering out. You could drink it, spread it on your
lawn or wash your car or laundry with it. It's clear, clean water. You
could also boil and distill it.

Claude,

You've probably noticed that you're arguing with the group's village idiot.
You might as well give it up, because as with all similar people, he has no
concept of being wrong, the usual condition.

Except in this case where despite his usual idiocy and his ranting
style, what he is saying is indeed correct. An under counter RO system,
even if you used it to it's maximum of ~10gal/day of filtered water
represents an absolutely negligible gray water load on a septic system.
And yes, it is technically gray water since it is a waste product of
filtration, even if it may still meet drinking water standards.

Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:

wrote:
Over the next few months we're building a new house in a rural area on
25 acres. The 410 foot well is terrific, but the water has a slight
salty taste which apparently is sodium, so we'll have an undersink
reverse osmosis filter for drinking/cooking water, with a sideline
running over to the water dispenser/icemaker in the fridge.

My problem is that RO filters produce about 8 parts waste water for
every 1 part of drinking water. This water is normally routed out to
the drain pipe, which in our case would go to the septic tank. This is
a significant amount of water; for every cup of water you drink from
the RO filter faucet, 8 cups goes down the drain.

In reality, it's a totally insignificant amount of water, but there are
kits for redirecting the waste water into your hot water system.

"http://www.wattspremier.com/watts/showdetl.cfm?&DID=15&User_ID=1797375&st=6734&st2=5 3470904&st3=-53503017&Product_ID=121&CATID=1"

It would take several hundred years to recover the cost of this kit.

Is there SOME way to reroute this RO waste water away from the septic
system? I hate to think of it all going in there.

It's good for the septic system.

I used an under counter RO setup when I was on crappy city water and the
rejectroduct ratio is more like 3:1, not 8:1 With a 10 gal/day system,
that a worst case of a whopping 30 gallons of reject water added to a
1,000 gallon or larger septic tank, both insignificant and also good for
the septic system. Under real world filtered water usage it would
probably be more like 10 gallons of reject water per day.
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 5:23�pm, "Pete C." wrote:
SMS wrote:

wrote:
[...]

All true, like a few terlit flushes... the typical residential RO unit
can't produce more than like five gallons filtered water in 24
hours... 15 gallons grey water is a lot... most days, realistically,
it'll process about half that. People simply don't consume nearly as
much water as they think,
Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:
Larry Caldwell wrote:

In article ,
(SMS) says...

Is there SOME way to reroute this RO waste water away from the septic
system? I hate to think of it all going in there.

It's good for the septic system.

Excess water is NOT good for a septic system. �Many rural people have
dry well disposal of gray water to keep it out of the septic system.

Everything that goes into a septic tank has to sit there until it is
thoroughly digested or settles out. �That process can take days.. �Any
solids that go into the drain field will eventually plug the drain
field, requiring expensive system replacement.

Water in a septic system aids the bacteria in digesting the solids. If
there is "excess" water going into a septic system it simply flows out
to the leach field. The water flowing out does no carry solids into the
leach field, solids only go into the leach field if the system is
undersized or the bacterial action fails for some reason (rare).

The amount of reject water added to a septic system be an under counter
RO filter system is minuscule under any normal usage, comparable to an
extra shower or load of laundry. It will not in any way harm a septic
system that is in normal operational condition.

The very *best* a typical residential RO filter can do is produce one
quart of filtered water per hour or 6 gallons per day, which means
under the most extreme usage the most grey water produced is 18
gallons per 24 hours (which never happens - the most any typical
family of four will consume is like 2-3 gallons of filtered water
which produces less than 10 gallons of grey water [slowly] over 24
hours). Any septic system that is tipped over into not functioning
zone with the addition of only 18 gallons of water per 24 hours is
seriously broken to begin with. No under sink style RO is capable of
overloading any functioning septic system, no way, no how... in fact
if the septic system is so marginal then 18 gallons of grey water
dribbled in over 24 hours can only help to improve the system (RO grey
water dribbles out slowly, no greater rate than 3 quarts per hour or 1
quart in 20 minutes - on a good beer night I can **** at that rate).
Only solids can harm a leaching field... if the field can't handle 18
additional gallons of water over a day then it was very seriously
broken prior to installing the RO and needed to be remediated... that
means no one in your residence bathed or flushed and your neighbors
knew you by your stench.