Furnace Blower Won't Shut Off

Old December 6th 08, 06:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace Blower Won't Shut Off

All of a sudden my furnace blower runs constantly even though it is
set on "auto" at the thermostat. The heat cycles on and off properly
(fortunately because it is 19 degrees outside). The furnace is about
10 years old and is gas. I seem to recall there is a wiring option on
the motor for it to run constantly but no one has messed with that
since it was installed. I would appreciate any ideas on what the
problem might be.
Old December 6th 08, 06:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
All of a sudden my furnace blower runs constantly even though it is
set on "auto" at the thermostat. The heat cycles on and off properly
(fortunately because it is 19 degrees outside). The furnace is about
10 years old and is gas. I seem to recall there is a wiring option on
the motor for it to run constantly but no one has messed with that
since it was installed. I would appreciate any ideas on what the
problem might be.

It could have a relay with a slightly welded contact. Tapping on the furnace or
the relay itself could jar it loose.

Old December 6th 08, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
All of a sudden my furnace blower runs constantly even though it is
set on "auto" at the thermostat. The heat cycles on and off properly
(fortunately because it is 19 degrees outside). The furnace is about
10 years old and is gas. I seem to recall there is a wiring option on
the motor for it to run constantly but no one has messed with that
since it was installed. I would appreciate any ideas on what the
problem might be.

Could be a sticking relay, could be a bad thermostat from the heat
exchanger. Try turning off all power to the heater and then turn it back on
and see if the blower stops when power is restored.

Old December 6th 08, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 12:49*pm, wrote:
All of a sudden my furnace blower runs constantly even though it is
set on "auto" at the thermostat. The heat cycles on and off properly
(fortunately because it is 19 degrees outside). The furnace is about
10 years old and is gas. I seem to recall there is a wiring option on
the motor for it to run constantly but no one has messed with that
since it was installed. I would appreciate any ideas on what the
problem might be.

First off, disconnect all the wires at the T-stat and see if it shuts
off. If it does, you have a faulty t-stat/wiring.
If it stays on, put the wiring back for the T-stat, and now disconnect
the T-stat wiring at the furnace board to confirm its not the wire
shorted in the walls someplace.
If it still stays on, it could be a stuck relay on the control board
on the furnace. You can try tapping it.
Another possibility is that if the chamber/duct temp sensor could be
faulty, giving a high reading and could be telling the blower to stay
on.
Old December 6th 08, 09:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
On Dec 6, 12:49 pm, wrote:

All of a sudden my furnace blower runs constantly even though it is
set on "auto" at the thermostat. The heat cycles on and off properly
(fortunately because it is 19 degrees outside). The furnace is about
10 years old and is gas. I seem to recall there is a wiring option on
the motor for it to run constantly but no one has messed with that
since it was installed. I would appreciate any ideas on what the
problem might be.

First off, disconnect all the wires at the T-stat and see if it shuts
off. If it does, you have a faulty t-stat/wiring.
If it stays on, put the wiring back for the T-stat, and now disconnect
the T-stat wiring at the furnace board to confirm its not the wire
shorted in the walls someplace.
If it still stays on, it could be a stuck relay on the control board
on the furnace. You can try tapping it.

Things that go away by themselves when tapped usually come back by
themselves shortly thereafter. G

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old December 7th 08, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Just power down, and tap on it three times a day for the rest of your life.
Very simple.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the prompt replies.
I powered it down, tapped on everything and it works fine now.
Ed S.

No Furnace Blower Mike Dobony[_2_] Home Repair 18 April 17th 13 06:06 PM
Goodman furnace won't shut off [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 08 11:41 PM
Furnace blower Larry T. Suddarth Home Repair 9 September 1st 07 01:40 PM
Furnace shut down Rick Home Repair 9 December 18th 05 02:54 PM
Attic Split Air Conditiong System Blower Won't Shut Off Problem ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 April 27th 05 02:53 PM