DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water in garage from cars/snow and no drain. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/266101-water-garage-cars-snow-no-drain.html)

[email protected] December 3rd 08 04:11 AM

Water in garage from cars/snow and no drain.

My garage was built in 1942.
It never had a floor drain in it.

Is there a standard way to add a drain?

Robert Neville December 3rd 08 05:25 AM

wrote:

My garage was built in 1942.
It never had a floor drain in it.

Is there a standard way to add a drain?

Cut the slab with a diamond saw, dig a trench, lay the PVC, backfill, repour the
concrete. Tis a lot of work, especially if the slab doesn't have the proper
slope to bring the water to the drain.

If that's the case, you break up the entire slab with a jackhammer and repour
after the drain is installed.

The other question is where the drain empties. You'll need to find a storm drain
or sanitary line...

SteveBell December 3rd 08 05:45 AM

Water in garage from cars/snow and no drain.

wrote in
:

My garage was built in 1942.
It never had a floor drain in it.

Is there a standard way to add a drain?

I lived in Michigan for a few years. My garage had a drain that was
just a hole in the concrete--the water drained into the soil below.

If you have soil that drains, you could have a concrete coring company
drill an appropriately-sized hole, then put a slatted cover on it.

Good luck getting the water to run to the hole.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

theedudenator December 3rd 08 06:47 AM

Water in garage from cars/snow and no drain.

On Dec 2, 10:45*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
wrote in
:

My garage was built in 1942.
It never had a floor drain in it.

Is there a standard way to add a drain?

I lived in Michigan for a few years. My garage had a drain that was
just a hole in the concrete--the water drained into the soil below.

If you have soil that drains, you could have a concrete coring company
drill an appropriately-sized hole, then put a slatted cover on it.

Good luck getting the water to run to the hole.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

I have already noticed the water pools in a certain spot, that is
where I would drill the hole.

I am in the country and only have septic. So there are really no
drains to use.

Jerry - OHIO December 3rd 08 10:57 AM

Water in garage from cars/snow and no drain.

If the water just goes under the slab it might wash out the soil.I had
my 150 Truck fall through the floor.Builder didn't use wire and half the
pour was only three inches and never hooked up drain,pea gravel settled
two foot because they poured on frozen ground.I now have a new condo
cause part of the kitchen flour dropped three inches.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

SteveBell December 3rd 08 04:18 PM

Jerry - OHIO wrote in :

If the water just goes under the slab it might wash out the soil.I had
my 150 Truck fall through the floor.Builder didn't use wire and half
the pour was only three inches and never hooked up drain,pea gravel
settled two foot because they poured on frozen ground.I now have a
new condo cause part of the kitchen flour dropped three inches.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Hence the "if you have soil that drains" in the part you snipped. That
would be a very important consideration.

I always assumed that my garage drain was hooked up to some plumbing.
After a couple of weeks of daily snow, the drain backed up. I used my
hose to wash out the "pipe", to no avail. After it finally drained on
its own, I stuck my hand down and found sand. Lots of sand. I later dug
some holes in my back yard and discovered that 10 inches of topsoil
covers a prehistoric sand dune.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Tony Hwang December 3rd 08 05:25 PM

Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

My garage was built in 1942.
It never had a floor drain in it.

Is there a standard way to add a drain?

Cut the slab with a diamond saw, dig a trench, lay the PVC, backfill, repour the
concrete. Tis a lot of work, especially if the slab doesn't have the proper
slope to bring the water to the drain.

If that's the case, you break up the entire slab with a jackhammer and repour
after the drain is installed.

The other question is where the drain empties. You'll need to find a storm drain
or sanitary line...

Hmmm,
Very simplistic approach. What if soil condition is not good for that?
My son is a civil engineer specializing in water management. Not long
ago he went out to an acerage where every thing was soaking wet around
house. The soil was too much clay which never drained water. He could
see water collected during the flood 4 years ago. The owner needed a big
work to install drain net work and holding pond.