Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default The end of flushing toilets

How about the toilet tax in Austrailia

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24670784-2,00.html

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/08 06:23 am Bob wrote:

How about the toilet tax in Austrailia

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24670784-2,00.html

Note that this is merely a proposal made to one State legislature.

Thirty years ago in Australia it was not uncommon to find toilet tanks
with two concentric handles: one for liquid-only flushing, the other for
flushing poop.

Here in W. Michigan, our township has two separate charges based on
water consumption: one is for its supply, the other for its disposal.
This has the disadvantage of charging the sewage-treatment fee on the
water that in fact gets sprinkled on our lawns, but we offset that to
some extent by using low-flush toilets and even then flushing as
infrequently as possible.

As for "dry" toilets... A high school not far from here has waterless
urinals in the men's bathrooms. On the one occasion I was there they
seemed to work fine -- no smell.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 11/21/08 06:23 am Bob wrote:

[...]

The same here, our town in Southern Ontario, Canada, charges a sewage fee
based on the water consumed, whether it is used to water lawns or not.
Nothing new in this!

Presently I am using my own septic tank and so do not have to pay the Town's
sewage fees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/08 06:23 am Bob wrote:

How about the toilet tax in Austrailia

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24670784-2,00.html

Note that this is merely a proposal made to one State legislature.

Thirty years ago in Australia it was not uncommon to find toilet tanks with
two concentric handles: one for liquid-only flushing, the other for flushing
poop.

Here in W. Michigan, our township has two separate charges based on water
consumption: one is for its supply, the other for its disposal. This has the
disadvantage of charging the sewage-treatment fee on the water that in fact
gets sprinkled on our lawns, but we offset that to some extent by using
low-flush toilets and even then flushing as infrequently as possible.

Here in Seattle, the sewage charge is based on the water usage during the low
usage period (winter). Higher usage during summer for water is billed for the
water, but the sewage charge remains at the winter rate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
How about the toilet tax in Austrailia

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24670784-2,00.html

Bob-tx

Ancient Romans had free public toilets. Then one of the emperors set a tax
on them, and it was very unpopular.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 11/21/08 06:23 am Bob wrote:

[...]

Around here, you can install an auxiliary water meter
for things like sprinklers or cooling towers. That
water is not assessed a sewer charge.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

The same here, our town in Southern Ontario, Canada, charges a sewage
fee based on the water consumed, whether it is used to water lawns or
not. Nothing new in this!

Presently I am using my own septic tank and so do not have to pay the
Town's sewage fees.

Reminds me of guy I knew who had septic but city water and was getting
sewer bills from the county
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Frank" wrote in message
EXT wrote:

The same here, our town in Southern Ontario, Canada, charges a sewage fee
based on the water consumed, whether it is used to water lawns or not.
Nothing new in this!

Presently I am using my own septic tank and so do not have to pay the
Town's sewage fees.

Reminds me of guy I knew who had septic but city water and was getting
sewer bills from the county

It happened here, a few years ago we found an elderly person up the street
from us was paying sewer charges, and at that time there wasn't even a sewer
on the street. Told them to call the town to get the billing fixed and a
refund.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:43:38 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Here in W. Michigan, our township has two separate charges based on
water consumption: one is for its supply, the other for its disposal.
This has the disadvantage of charging the sewage-treatment fee on the
water that in fact gets sprinkled on our lawns, but we offset that to
some extent by using low-flush toilets and even then flushing as
infrequently as possible.

Now *THIS* is a brilliant idea. I need to propose it to my municipal
water utility!