Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to repair a vinyl softub

Hi,
My softub is vinyl and I am having a heck of a time battling wrinkes.
I have used a hot blow dryer, boiling water, but after they both cool
off the wrinkles reappear.I even put brinks on the wrinkles to try to
flatten them. I also tried a plunger with no positive results. I'm
now looking at Plan B - I'm thinking of cutting out the centre vinyl
piece (where all the wrinkles are) and replacing it with a big round
vinyl patch. The inside diameter of my vinyl softub is 152 cm (holds
1000 litres of water) so I think a partial vinyl replacement should be
achievable. I've never worked with vinyl or know what would be good
waterproof bonding substance to use to attached the new vinyl to the
old vinyl. However, I would assume it should be no different than
repairing a vinyl swimming pool liner? I'm willing to do this on my
own, however, I need some guidance and helpful tips. Thanks so much,
in advance. Barb R.

Posted to alt.home.repair

spaguy had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ub-233973-.htm
:
Softub liners are pieces of pleather (vinyl with a leather-like finish)
stitched to a piece of 25-30mil liner which has been seamed together to
fit the inside of your tub. Softub makes 3 different sizes 140, 220, and
300 referring to the gallonage (I don't know what this equates to in
litres). The wrinkles you are experiencing are caused by a combination of
low pH and low alkalinity which tends to pull the elasticizers out of the
plastic compounds. Once this happens the wrinkles are permanent. The
only real answer is to buy a complete softub replacement vinyl. I would
not recommend trying to buy a piece of vinyl to attach to the outside
pleather section of the tub's liner. You will not be happy with the
results. You can search for and find these replacement vinyls online at
various places. It is well-worth the price.

Lee S.
wrote:

[...]

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/