Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best soil to use for sprinkler values?

I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the sprinkler
value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took way too
long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I should
replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for any
future repairs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Znott wrote in :

I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the sprinkler
value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took way too
long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I should
replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for any
future repairs?

Sand

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 11:28*am, Znott wrote:
I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the sprinkler
value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took way too
long and tiring. *Any recommendations on what type of soil I should
replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for any
future repairs?

Mix leaves or clippings with the clay and it will turn to good dirt,
mix clay and sand and get cement, maybe thats what you have now, a
clay sand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Dec 1, 11:28 am, Znott wrote:
I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the
sprinkler value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took
way too long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I
should replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for
any future repairs?

Mix leaves or clippings with the clay and it will turn to good dirt,
mix clay and sand and get cement, maybe thats what you have now, a
clay sand.

Add Gypsum (a lot of Gypsum) to the clay. It'll help keep it manageable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 11:28*am, Znott wrote:
I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the sprinkler
value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took way too
long and tiring. *Any recommendations on what type of soil I should
replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for any
future repairs?

Consider widening the hole enough to put in a valve box with cover,
instead of re-burying the valves, with some gravel on the bottom of
the valve box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 12:21*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Dec 1, 11:28 am, Znott wrote:
I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the
sprinkler value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took
way too long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I
should replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for
any future repairs?

Mix leaves or clippings with the clay and it will turn to good dirt,
mix clay and sand and get cement, maybe thats what you have now, a
clay sand.

Add Gypsum (a lot of Gypsum) to the clay. It'll help keep it manageable.

Gypsum? thats what makes drywall and compound, a plaster alternative,
you are kidding right. The co USG, the G stands for Gypsum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Znott" wrote in message
news
I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the sprinkler
value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took way too
long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I should
replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for any
future repairs?

Use course sand or small pea gravel, and you can suck it out later with a
shop-vac.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 7:10*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 1, 12:21*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

ransley wrote:
On Dec 1, 11:28 am, Znott wrote:
I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the
sprinkler value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took
way too long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I
should replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for
any future repairs?

Mix leaves or clippings with the clay and it will turn to good dirt,
mix clay and sand and get cement, maybe thats what you have now, a
clay sand.

Add Gypsum (a lot of Gypsum) to the clay. It'll help keep it manageable..

Gypsum? thats what makes drywall and compound, *a plaster alternative,
you are kidding right. The co USG, the G stands for Gypsum.

No, he is not kidding. It's the calcium in the gypsum that is
providing the benefit. Adding gypsum won't create rock hard soil.
There are varying views on gypsum as an additive, and it's not a
complete solution - another poster mentioned adding organic material,
which will also help.

http://www.weedpatch.com/article_gypsum.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

"Znott" wrote in message
news

I just dug up a bunch of clay soil/rock to get to all of the sprinkler
value piping underneath the anti siphon values and it took way too
long and tiring. Any recommendations on what type of soil I should
replace it with so that I can easily dig up the same area for any
future repairs?

Use course sand or small pea gravel, and you can suck it out later with a
shop-vac.

Don't replace the soil. Put in valve boxes so you can take off the lid
and access the valves
right away.. Put 2-3" of pea gravel in the bottom of the hole first.

Help: Soil Connection Options for Under Stairs Macerator (Soil Stack/ Manhole) GC UK diy 0 March 23rd 08 12:32 PM
U - values Keith Dunbar UK diy 14 September 16th 07 11:50 AM
Installing sprinkler to an existing sprinkler system. MOEE Home Ownership 1 September 14th 06 09:53 PM
Home SALES values -vs- ASSESSED values? chaz Home Ownership 11 December 14th 05 08:50 PM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 09:49 PM