outdoor water spicket repair

Old November 8th 08, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoor water spicket repair

on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of the
spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire
spicket. had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the
stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will
get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR

Old November 8th 08, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

Old November 8th 08, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/8/2008 2:39 PM dpb said the following:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

...or spigot, in the US.

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Old November 8th 08, 09:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

Dontcha just hate it when that happens?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old November 8th 08, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

..or spigot, in the US.

Yeah, I just saw the typo, too...

At least I only did it once...

Old November 8th 08, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

--

Try "spigot", I don't know what a "sigot" is.
I've repaired or replaced many a spigot. The

TDD
Old November 9th 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 2:38�pm, "Tim" wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of the
spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the entire
spicket. �had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have the
stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you will
get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR

is it leaking around the stem? the metal shaft.........

if so just tighten the packing nut, it will end the leak around the
shaft

Old November 9th 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
dpb wrote:
Tim wrote:
on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...

That would be "sigot".

A couple ones I've tried have oddly shaped stem washers that couldn't
find direct replacements for.

But, old-style packing still works.

--

Try "spigot", I don't know what a "sigot" is.
I've repaired or replaced many a spigot. The
dumbest thing I've seen is when someone leaves
a hose connected to a freeze proof outdoor spigot
or faucet in winter weather.

TDD

No, the dumbest thing is when the neighbor leaves a frozen open-ended
hose attached, the wife turns the spigot on full and then walks away
when no water comes out.

Guess what happened during a January thaw while they were away for the
weekend?
Old November 9th 08, 02:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim" wrote in message

on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of
the spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the
entire spicket. �had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have
the stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you
will get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR- Hide quoted text -

not if itsd soldered on at the walls surface.

locally the valves were soldered out of wall, put in place then
soldered indoors.

those valves are easier repaired.

new washers, and a 5 buck seat grindinmg tool can repair the valves
good as new for 10 years, then you can do it again.

a good female friend was visiting and reported her outside valve was
leaking bad. at the stem. the water ran indoors along the wall and
close to the main service breakerr cabinet.

my valve happened to be loeaking at the stem so I showed her how to
tighten the packing nut.

she went home and asked to borrow her hubbys wrench, he got mad and
claimed she would break valve.

1/.4 turn later the leak stopped he had nothing to say