Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Review: Zenith DTT901 DTV converter box

Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

My main complaint is that the picture quality ain't great. I saw another
converter box at a friend's house that looked really good on their tube;
this one isn't all that sharp or punchy, kind of grainy. Definitely not
as good as the analog picture I get from those stations with the
strongest signals. (On the plus side, not only do I get lots more
channels than I got before, but the picture quality is at least
consistent among all of them, even if it's not the greatest.) I'm
assuming this has something to do with the DAC chipset or the RF
modulator in the box.

Box was super-simple to set up. I'm not thrilled with the user
interface: there's a "favorites" function that's kind of annoying to
use. You can put the most-watched stations in a "favorites" list, then
hit the FAV button to access them. Problem is, the on-screen menu has a
very short timeout, so if you linger too long on one station, it goes
away and you can't pick from the list without hitting FAV again (plus it
bumps the selection up each time you hit FAV; definitely not the way I
would have designed that function).

The remote doesn't turn my TV on and off, but that's probably just
because the TV is so old. (There's a list of 45 manufacturers whose sets
can supposedly be used with the remote.)

Not big deals, since I don't really care that much about TV anyhow. I'd
be curious to hear similar reports on other converter boxes.

Oh, and the box was $60, so I paid $20.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
* Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the

- Paulo Freire

That zenith is rated in second tier, only online is first tier, let me
know if you want more info on these boxes/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 2:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

..
Seems like there should be online sites that review and compare
converters. Anyone seen any?

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 2:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote: Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local

.
Seems like there should be online sites that review and compare
converters. Anyone seen any?

--
bud--

Consumers Reports rated about 25, and the ones with best picture are
online sold, not at stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 10:25*am, bud-- wrote:
On Oct 31, 2:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote: Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

.
Seems like there should be online sites that review and compare
converters. Anyone seen any?

--
bud--

Here are the top rated 5 in 1st tier with best picture near DVD
qailty, from #1, Tivax STB-T9, Lasonic LTA 260, Sansonic FT300,
Access HD DTA 1010D, Microgem MG 2000, Channel Master CM 7000. No
store carries a name brand rated in Best group. Since you will live
with it for years judging HD get the best, Radio Shacks are in 3rd
tier. 2nd tier is your local store, so use that 30 day return policy
soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2008 7:25 AM bud-- spake thus:

On Oct 31, 2:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

Seems like there should be online sites that review and compare
converters. Anyone seen any?

CNET has some; here's their review of my Zenith:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-hdtv-tune...7-33178359.htm

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 3:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

Not big deals, since I don't really care that much about TV anyhow. I'd
be curious to hear similar reports on other converter boxes.

Oh, and the box was $60, so I paid $20.

How about the blue light on it? That thing will light up a dark room,
or it seems that way when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I am new to over-the-air TV having canceled our cable TV last summer.
I'm using the Zenith and am more than happy with it. Of course, I
watch about 10 minutes of TV a day, so I'm easy to please.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

[...]

Hmm....

I have the exact same boxes, purchased maybe a month or so ago. I
just got 'em because I'm a cheap ******* and didn't see replacing all
my ancient TVs with new ones, as pleasant as that would be. I would
say that the picture is superior to either OTA analog (which is crappy
in my area) or digital cable (I hooked one up downstairs on the old
big screen to try to watch a football game OTA so I could get the
whole picture rather than just 4:3) Also, the Zenith box will pull in
stations that my (admittedly cheap) Viewsonic HDTV/monitor combo
cannot. I also prefer the Zenith's on screen guide to the
Viewsonic's, although for a cheap Craigslist buy it serves its purpose
as a lightweight portable TV and a backup monitor. (my old monitor is
a monstrous Samsung CRT that has probably a superior picture, but it
certainly won't fit on a small desk and you can't carry it around
tucked under one arm.)

I am digging the OTA digital HDTV though. I am considering installing
a roof mount antenna so that I can get all the stations that I should
be receiving.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2008 10:18 AM Mike spake thus:

On Oct 31, 3:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

Not big deals, since I don't really care that much about TV anyhow. I'd
be curious to hear similar reports on other converter boxes.

How about the blue light on it? That thing will light up a dark room,
or it seems that way when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I take it you never turn yours off.

Yeah, that power indicator light is weird. Blue when on, red when off,
both garish and bright. Who designed that? For my money, I'd rather see
*no* light when it's off.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 5:07*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 11/4/2008 10:18 AM Mike spake thus:

On Oct 31, 3:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

Not big deals, since I don't really care that much about TV anyhow. I'd
be curious to hear similar reports on other converter boxes.

How about the blue light on it? *That thing will light up a dark room,
or it seems that way when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I take it you never turn yours off.

Yeah, that power indicator light is weird. Blue when on, red when off,
both garish and bright. Who designed that? For my money, I'd rather see
*no* light when it's off.

Hey David -

Yes, I set my box to never turn off. Why? Well, I have 2 of these
boxes, one of which is hooked to a Tivo and the Tivo instructions told
me to set the box to always stay on (otherwise they shut off after a
certain timeframe, which is odd to me). Anyway, I made the change to
both boxes. For what it's worth, the Zenith works great with a Tivo
box driving it.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
On Oct 31, 2:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

.
Seems like there should be online sites that review and compare
converters. Anyone seen any?

--
bud--

http://www.avsforum.com/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=186
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 11/4/2008 10:18 AM Mike spake thus:

On Oct 31, 3:57 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Just used my gubmint'-issued $40 credit and bought the box (at a local
Circuit City). Got the only one they had, the Zenith DTT901. Now I'm
wondering whether I should have shopped around first.

Not big deals, since I don't really care that much about TV anyhow. I'd
be curious to hear similar reports on other converter boxes.

How about the blue light on it? That thing will light up a dark room,
or it seems that way when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I take it you never turn yours off.

Yeah, that power indicator light is weird. Blue when on, red when off,
both garish and bright. Who designed that? For my money, I'd rather see
*no* light when it's off.

- Paulo Freire

When it's off, it's in "analog passthrough", so they probably intended it as
blue for digital, red for analog. Of course in our area, there's only one
low power, non-digital station that we can get anyway, and we didn't watch
it before we had the converter box, so I pretty much don't use the analog
passthrough much.