Deadbolt Stuck in Locked Position

Old October 26th 08, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deadbolt Stuck in Locked Position

Hi,

I have a deadbolt, which is opened by a key, on the front door.
Today, it stopped working. You can turn the key clockwise and
counterclockwise without much resistance, though there is some grab,
which moves the deadbolt just a hair, and that's it.

From the inside, you can turn the latch left and right, but it does
stop in the normal positions. but same story, the deadbolt won't
retract, and the door remains locked foerever.

I have been able to remove the backplate of the lock, the side inside
the house, with a screwdriver, and see 4 holes on the back of the
lock, staring at me, but they won't tell me what to do. The lock is
still in place, nice and tight.

There's no name on it, just a plain generic brass colored deadbolt
lock. It might be "U.S. Lock" since that name is on a brass plate on
another same-looking lock in the house.

Is there any way I can fix it, or at least get the lock out, so I can
take it somewhere and get it fixed, or buy a new one?

I don't want to have to have a locksmith come out to the house and
deplete me of several days wages in a half hour.

And, by the way, if worst case scenario comes true, what would a
locksmith charge to come out, and put a new lock in, in eastern
Pennsylvania ????

Thanks,

Hosed in Pa

Old October 26th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"utilitarian" wrote in message

I have been able to remove the backplate of the lock, the side inside
the house, with a screwdriver, and see 4 holes on the back of the
lock, staring at me, but they won't tell me what to do. The lock is
still in place, nice and tight.

Going from memory, there should be a slot or square hole in the center that
the stem on the tumbler goes through. 'try to turn it by putting a flat
blade screwdriver into it. Thee are more experience locksmiths here though
that can probaly be of more help to you.

And, by the way, if worst case scenario comes true, what would a
locksmith charge to come out, and put a new lock in, in eastern
Pennsylvania ????

Figure about $75 to $125 to show up. Parts extra

Old October 26th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:58:15 -0700 (PDT), utilitarian
wrote:

, but they won't tell me what to do. The lock is
still in place, nice and tight.

Just what do you expect to hear? Looking at a lock?!!

Old October 27th 08, 01:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, the joys of having a junk deadbolt. Sigh. US Lock is typically China or
Taiwan stuff, made to provide the lowest possible price. Not much we can
counsell you over the internet. Take your yellow pages phone book in hand,
and look under "locks and locksmiths".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"utilitarian" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a deadbolt, which is opened by a key, on the front door.
Today, it stopped working. You can turn the key clockwise and
counterclockwise without much resistance, though there is some grab,
which moves the deadbolt just a hair, and that's it.

From the inside, you can turn the latch left and right, but it does

Old October 27th 08, 11:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Take the pins out of the hinges and romove the door and replace the dead
bolt.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/CARWRECK

Old October 27th 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

I have a deadbolt, which is opened by a key, on the front door.
Today, it stopped working. You can turn the key clockwise and
counterclockwise without much resistance, though there is some grab,
which moves the deadbolt just a hair, and that's it.

From the inside, you can turn the latch left and right, but it does
stop in the normal positions. but same story, the deadbolt won't
retract, and the door remains locked foerever.

I have been able to remove the backplate of the lock, the side inside
the house, with a screwdriver, and see 4 holes on the back of the
lock, staring at me, but they won't tell me what to do. The lock is
still in place, nice and tight.

There's no name on it, just a plain generic brass colored deadbolt
lock. It might be "U.S. Lock" since that name is on a brass plate on
another same-looking lock in the house.

Is there any way I can fix it, or at least get the lock out, so I can
take it somewhere and get it fixed, or buy a new one?

I don't want to have to have a locksmith come out to the house and
deplete me of several days wages in a half hour.

A picture would help.

Look at the inside of the thumbturn and try to figure out how it
operates the mechanism in the door.

If you use a pointed knife, you should be able to stick it between the
door and the jam and pry the deadbolt back into the door. It takes many
moves. And it only works if the deadbolt has been moved a little by the
key/thumbturn.

You could try asking on alt.locksmithing

--
bud--
Old October 28th 08, 04:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 3:58*pm, utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

* *I have a deadbolt, which is opened by a key, on the front door.
Today, it stopped working. You can turn the key clockwise and
counterclockwise without much resistance, though there is some grab,
which moves the deadbolt just a hair, and that's it.

*From the inside, you can turn the latch left and right, but it does
[...]

Sounds like you've got a broken lock.

Just disassemble the lock & replace it with one that you have keyed to
match.

cheers
Bob
Old October 29th 08, 05:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe the lock is already broken and need to replace it with new one.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com
Old October 29th 08, 06:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:

Is there any way I can ... at least get the lock out,

You have my sympathy for some of the replies on this thread.