backstab outlets

Old October 25th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default backstab outlets

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie
Old October 25th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:50:16 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Those are made for stranded wire. I am sure just about everyone
carries them. You can, of course, use them with solid.
Old October 25th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Do you have a real electrical supply convenient to you? not a hardware
store or big box. They will know what you're talking about. BTW you
are looking for a "back wire" not "backstab" receptacle.

back wire = good; has the little clamps under the screws to hold a
straight wire in

backstab = teh suck

side wire = good, but you have to loop the wires around the screws.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 25th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Cover them in whipped cream.

Jimmie

Old October 25th 08, 04:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-10-25, JIMMIE wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw?

Leviton BR15 or CR15. My local home depot carries them individually
and in a 10-pack.

Cheers, Wayne
Old October 25th 08, 06:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Do you have a real electrical supply convenient to you? not a hardware
store or big box. They will know what you're talking about. BTW you
are looking for a "back wire" not "backstab" receptacle.

back wire = good; has the little clamps under the screws to hold a
straight wire in

backstab = teh suck

side wire = good, but you have to loop the wires around the screws.

nate

You forgot to mention that you can't trust backstab
outlets, they're real weasels. I don't like working
around them.

TDD
Old October 25th 08, 12:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Cooper makes a receptacle with a screw down clamp where you don't need to
bend the wire into a loop. Lowes sells them. You may have to restrip some
wires as you will find some of the ends will break off after removal from
the old receptacle. The best way to go is pigtailing multiple conductors.

Old October 25th 08, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Lou

On Oct 24, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Wouldn't it be easier to change the wife?
Lou
Old October 25th 08, 04:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Are they backstab now? If so, why do you want to replace them with new
ones that will be just as much a problem as you are having now? If they
are screwed in now you will have to rebend them straight. If the ends are
now straight you will not have to do that much work to strip a little more
wire and bend them. It is not that big a deal if you want the job done
right.

Mike D.
Old October 25th 08, 04:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Lou

On Oct 24, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with
a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them
all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those
connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but
I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new wife?
Lou

Outlets -- which way? Don Fearn Home Repair 66 December 11th 06 04:01 AM
Outlets -- which way? [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 6th 06 06:36 PM
GFI outlets k Home Repair 7 November 9th 06 08:49 PM
Two Outlets in One Box [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 4th 05 03:32 AM
15 Amp Outlets Greg and Kelly Carr Home Repair 11 November 5th 04 04:10 AM