is it always better to use a thicker filter in furnace?

Old October 22nd 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default is it always better to use a thicker filter in furnace?

My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.

It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This should
last longer and reduce air resistance.

Is there any reason not to?

Old October 22nd 08, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

james wrote:
My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.

It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This should
last longer and reduce air resistance.

Is there any reason not to?

How can doubling the thickness _reduce_ resistance?

Old October 22nd 08, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
james wrote:
My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.

It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This should last
longer and reduce air resistance.

Is there any reason not to?

How can doubling the thickness _reduce_ resistance?

It doubles the surface area.

Old October 22nd 08, 07:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N

On Oct 22, 12:46*pm, dpb wrote:
Bob F wrote:

--

He did specify pleated. If you can find a 2" thick filter with a
single layer of media, he is correct, the surface of the media would

nate
Old October 22nd 08, 07:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
N8N wrote:

On Oct 22, 12:46*pm, dpb wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
james wrote:
My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.

It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This
should last
longer and reduce air resistance.

Is there any reason not to?
How can doubling the thickness reduce resistance?

It doubles the surface area.

?????

--

He did specify pleated. If you can find a 2" thick filter with a
single layer of media, he is correct, the surface of the media would
be approximately double that of the thinner filter, assuming the same
number of pleats and that both filters have the pleat creases at the
very outside of the filter.

nate

Is there room in that dunce chair for two of us, dpb? It don't make no
damn sense to me, either.
Old October 22nd 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 2:26*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*N8N wrote:
On Oct 22, 12:46*pm, dpb wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
james wrote:
My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.

It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This
should last
longer and reduce air resistance.

Is there any reason not to?
How can doubling the thickness *reduce *resistance?

It doubles the surface area.

?????

--

He did specify pleated. *If you can find a 2" thick filter with a
single layer of media, he is correct, the surface of the media would
be approximately double that of the thinner filter, assuming the same
number of pleats and that both filters have the pleat creases at the
very outside of the filter.

nate

Is there room in that dunce chair for two of us, dpb? It don't make no
damn sense to me, either.- Hide quoted text -

/\/\/\/\ -- that's a 1" thick pleated filter

I can't do it with my keyboard, but extend those pleats to 2" and
decrease the angle so each 2" pleat is just as wide as a 1" pleat, and
you've got twice the surface area.

Old October 22nd 08, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:26 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

N8N wrote:
On Oct 22, 12:46 pm, dpb wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
james wrote:
[...]

And twice the material in the same opening.

Old October 22nd 08, 08:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:36:09 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote Re is it always better to use a thicker filter in furnace?:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
james wrote:
My furnace was installed with a 16x20x1 pleated filter.

It looks like there is enough space to fit a 16x20x2 filter. This should last
longer and reduce air resistance.

Is there any reason not to?

How can doubling the thickness _reduce_ resistance?

It doubles the surface area.

So if you could rig 4 filters it would reduce the resistance more? And
if you could put 8 or 16 filters you could reduce the resistance to
almost zero.

I don't think so, unless you rig the filters in parallel.
Old October 22nd 08, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 2:56*pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:26 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*N8N wrote:
On Oct 22, 12:46 pm, dpb wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
james wrote:
[...]

True. However, I've got the same amount of dust in my house with 1"
filter as with a 2". If I spread that dust over a twice the area, that
would reduce the resistance.

In other words, that blanket of dust after 3 months of use would be
half as thick, thus presenting less resistance.

How do I change my AC/furnace filter(s)? ctd4x4 Home Repair 4 July 11th 06 12:35 PM
furnace filter david Home Ownership 3 December 23rd 05 04:42 PM
Furnace filter? Sandy K. Home Repair 6 July 20th 05 04:11 PM
Thicker Air filter cost more 4 hydro - Furnace jim Home Repair 0 January 2nd 04 07:32 PM
poor furnace/ac filter fit coloradotrout Home Repair 11 August 28th 03 10:24 PM