Posted to alt.home.repair

Default eyeglass-lens falls out (even with bolt); for safety, epoxy?

My lenses will fall out of my frames.

This is even when there's an actual BOLT (with nut) being used.

(This latest time: nut has somehow unscrewed from bolt (and
disappeared) and of course the frame springs apart and
lens drops out.)

SAFETY ISSUE: should this happen when driving in heavy,
fast traffic, one could end up dead, especially with the
instant mix of one eye seeing and the other totally blurred
can screw up the brain mechanisms for "seeing" -- at least
for me.

So, suppose you used epoxy or some of that "instant"-glue to
avoid this happening; *where* (and how) would you apply
the stuff?

Around the bolt and especially the nut?

Along the inside of the rim?

Now, when and if your eyes have changed and you need
a new prescription, how to UN-glue the lens?

Is there some kind of a solvent that would work?

How about a Dremel tool?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

Its your eyes so go to an optician and get it fixed or new frames.
Costco is low priced.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

My lenses will fall out of my frames.

This is even when there's an actual BOLT (with nut) being used.

(This latest time: nut has somehow unscrewed from bolt (and
disappeared) and of course the frame springs apart and
lens drops out.)

SAFETY ISSUE: should this happen when driving in heavy,
fast traffic, one could end up dead, especially with the
instant mix of one eye seeing and the other totally blurred
can screw up the brain mechanisms for "seeing" -- at least
for me.

I've actually had that happen. It's very distracting. :-O

So, suppose you used epoxy or some of that "instant"-glue to
avoid this happening; where (and how) would you apply
the stuff?

Around the bolt and especially the nut?

Along the inside of the rim?

Now, when and if your eyes have changed and you need
a new prescription, how to UN-glue the lens?

Is there some kind of a solvent that would work?

How about a Dremel tool?

Don't glue them. You'll cause yourself too much trouble. Instead:

1. Take the glasses to any optician. They'll fix them properly for a
few dollars. If you take them back where you got them, they might do it
for free.

2. Buy a kit of tiny screws and screwdrivers at the pharmacy, then futz
around until they're (kinda) fixed. It will cost about the same amount
as having the optician do the job right.

If you really want to "glue" the screw in place, use LockTite, which is
designed for the task. It will come loose when you want it to.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
[...]

As I see it, you have two options. One, spend a few bucks (or it may be
free where you got the glasses) and get them fixed properly. Two, putz
around with them, and have them fall apart on the I-5 and get killed, and
your worries will be over.

Oh, I forgot about three. Put super glue and loctite and all the improper
screws and nuts on them and render them useless.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

The person who edged your lenses did a sloppy job and should remake
them. The lenses need to be the correct size to match the frame. They
should use your frame as the pattern, not us a different "same" frame or
pattern/template.

Take them back and demand what you paid for, a properly dispensed pair
of eye glasses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boden" wrote in message
David Combs wrote:
[...]

Just take them anywhere. My husband is very rough with his glasses and I've
never been charged anything for the minor repairs at any eye-glass store. He
didn't even buy the glasses there, and there's never any charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

SAFETY ISSUE: should this happen when driving in heavy,
fast traffic, one could end up dead, especially with the
instant mix of one eye seeing and the other totally blurred
can screw up the brain mechanisms for "seeing" -- at least
for me.

Not for me. I typically wear only one contact lens. I read with my left eye
(the lens) and drive with my right. Sort of home-made bifocals.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Oct 15, 8:04*am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

i got the same problem with my prescription sunglasses i use for
driving. as somebody suggested, now that i look at them, the lens
isn't really perfectly shaped to the frame; anyway, since it's been
too long a time to take them back, i just got some very thin instant
glue, from a hobby shop, and ran it around the edge where the lens
meets the frame. decided on the thin stuff because it runs into the
space nicely, and cures very quickly, so i could do a little at a
time, hold the frame so the glued part was at the bottom until it
cured, and move to the next without worrying about it dripping onto
the lens, and still get it done in 15 minutes; and i didn't want the
bond to be so tight that it was permanent (i don't know why, as i
don't intend to reuse either the frames or the lenses, but anyway),
just solid enough to hold the lenses but still undoable.

i remember having glasses years ago which were pretty thick before the
high refractive index ones, and there seemed to be something like
double stick tape between the edge of the lens and the frames. more
than one pair like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

How's your depth perception?

Excellent. Well, good enough.

That is, I don't hit things.

Or at least nothing important.

Yet.

Officer: "Didn't you see that car ahead?"

LadyDriver: "No, I was blinded by the red light."

Officer: "What red light? There's only a stop sign."

Lady: "Oh, the flashing red light on the car I hit."

Well, one of the few tickets I ever got in my life was for an illegal
left turn. I honestly didn't notice the sign by the traffic light,
because I was too distracted by the cop car that had been tailgating
me, and was focused on my rearview mirror.

I didn't bother trying that explanation on the cop. I said I didn't
notice the sign, and he called me a liar.

Similar. When I went through the police academy, the instructor told us to
either a) Lecture the driver or b) Write a ticket, but never both. Here's an
example that happened to me after making an illegal left turn:

Cop: Are you aware you made an illegal left turn?
Me: Yes.
Cop: (begins writing ticket) What you did is extremely hazardous.
Me: I know. That's why I was extremely careful.
Cop: There have been a number of wrecks on this corner just because of
people like you.
Me: That's odd. I've lived just down the street for over twenty years. I
pass this intersection at least four times a day and in all that time I've
never seen an accident on this corner. Are you sure you're at the right
intersection?
Cop: Why did you think you could make an illegal left turn?
Me: The traffic is congested. Probably because you and your cohorts over
there have created a traffic jam by pulling people over.
Cop: One of my fellow officers was struck by a car making an illegal left
turn - just like you did.
Me: Oh, that's probably because he was lurking around the corner, hiding,
ready to pounce, just like you, instead of directing traffic to ease the
congestion. I worry about your priorities.
Cop: Don't get smart with me!
Me: Would you like for me to call for a traffic supervisor?

Not another word was said.

Of course I contested the ticket in traffic court. My first question was:

"Officer, the citation, under 'location' says 'East bound, North Loop South
at West road.' I'm tempted to ask what color was the bear, but could you
tell us what this weird notation means?"

He couldn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
My lenses will fall out of my frames.

Let's play, "What is the most complicated, destructive, and hare-
brained method I can think of to fix a sickeningly simple problem???"

This is even when there's an actual BOLT (with nut) being used.

Then the bolt (with nut) was not properly tightened.

SAFETY ISSUE: should this happen when driving in heavy,
fast traffic, one could end up dead, especially with the
instant mix of one eye seeing and the other totally blurred
can screw up the brain mechanisms for "seeing" -- at least
for me.

Yup, got your priorities straight he My life depends on these
glasses staying together because I'm easily distracted and really
shouldn't be driving a car, but I'm too socially inept or cheap or
afraid or delusionally paranoid to have them fixed properly by a
professional...

Uh-huh.

So, suppose you used epoxy or some of that "instant"-glue to
avoid this happening; *where* (and how) would you apply
the stuff?

Oh my.

Around the bolt and especially the nut?

Um, no. You apply a tiny drop of thread locker/sealant to the bolt,
then thread the nut on.

Along the inside of the rim?

Yeah, great idea there. Let's glue the lenses in.

Look. There's a cause and effect relationship he

Effect: Lens falls out.
Cause: Bolt comes unscrewed.

They taught you how to deal with simple problems like this in
elementary school. Math, history, spelling... It wasn't about teaching
you to add, it was about teaching you how to approach a problem and
deal with it.

The correct answer is, prevent the bolt from coming unscrewed, and the
lens won't fall out.

Do you trade in your car when it runs out of gas?

Now, when and if your eyes have changed and you need
a new prescription, how to UN-glue the lens?

Simple answer: You don't glue them. That would be stupid.

If you glue the lens in, the bolt will still come unscrewed. You
haven't solved the problem, only treated the symptom and ruined a
perfectly good pair of glasses.

*JEEZ* the dumbing-down of America as I live and breathe. Yeah yeah
yeah, same old bleeding-heart line, everybody isn't as smart as me and
I should be more understanding... Come on. Really. Come on. Sure this
stuff is second-nature to me because of my interests and upbringing,
but it should be within the mental faculties of an average person.
We're not talking about tearing down an engine here. I'm not even
asking you to take your toaster apart. It's a freaking pair of
glasses, two moving parts. It's an elementary-school physics lesson
with lenses.

The thought that people like this comprise the majority of this
country, and are the ones in control, is scaring me too much to think
about it any more.