Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bury the hachet...? "Electric Fences and Purple $1 Bills???"" ?

Can we like bury the hatchet on the electric fence posting I made?

I just have about 20 years of anger built up over kids and adults
using my front yard as either a playground or 'shortcut'. Many loiter
in my yard for many minutes to a full hour. Some even do business with
either drugs or prostitution. You might can imagine how that might
make you feel?

As for police? We have one living 3 houses away and it doesn't seem to
bother him. Imagine me calling the cops and the cops find out a cop
lives 3 houses away? That cop will be angry with me because I showed
him up in front of all his co-workers. This would be a bad idea to
call the cops about this unless I could handle being harassed by the
cops in retaliation for getting their cop friend in trouble with his
boss.

I've made the decision to never walk on other people's property. It
doesn't seem like a difficult decision to make. Do unto others....

We have this fresh crop of 'youths' who are ignoring all normally held
rules.

I never dreamed all this would be my fault. I had always thought that
if you minded your own business, were polite and obeyed the law that
you would be rewarded with peace and respect. The only thing that is
respected these days are people in gangs.

Anyway the electric fence idea is dead so don't worry.

Maybe a couple of you could have tried to see this from my point of
view. It seem evident that my only acceptable solution is to rob a
bank so I can afford a nice farm. That way my nearest neighbor would
pass-out from exhaustion trying to walk across my property.

Good Day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 09:35:54a, Robert Blass told us...

Can we like bury the hatchet on the electric fence posting I made?

Robert, why not *just* a conventional fence? Could be chain link, or any
manner of wooden fence designs. Full enclosure with a gate. It's unlikely
that people would continue to congregate in your yard. Make it as high as
local code allows. You could probably also get away with putting a row of
barbed wire at the top. I think that would take care of the problem.

Our back yard, actually up to the front of our house, is fenced in with an
8' tall stockade fence with locked gates on either side of the house. No
one ever enteres it, and we have total privacy.

Our fron yard is not presently fenced in, however, we don't get people
wandering about, but we do get debris either tossed or blown into it.
We're restricted to a 4' fence in the front, and I think we're going to
install a split rail fence with a driveway gate. It won't afford much
privacy, and it won't prevent people from tossing things in the yard or
things blowing into the yard, but it does "define" personal space. If we
had people wandering about, it would certainly deter that.

Frankly, we live in a rather "trashy" neighborhood, but the lot was
reasonably priced and large for this area. We have the nicest house and
yard in the area. People here just don't seem to give a damn what their
places look like. Luckily, the immediate neighbors on each side are really
nice people.

Good luck!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 14hrs 14mins
Oxymoron: Removable sticker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 09:35:54a, Robert Blass told us...

Can we like bury the hatchet on the electric fence posting I made?

Robert, why not *just* a conventional fence? Could be chain link, or any
manner of wooden fence designs. Full enclosure with a gate. It's unlikely
that people would continue to congregate in your yard. Make it as high as
local code allows. You could probably also get away with putting a row of
barbed wire at the top. I think that would take care of the problem.

One could also obstruct access with a hedge of blackberries or other thorned
bushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 10:31:57a, Bob F told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 09:35:54a, Robert Blass told us...

Can we like bury the hatchet on the electric fence posting I made?

Robert, why not *just* a conventional fence? Could be chain link, or
any manner of wooden fence designs. Full enclosure with a gate. It's
unlikely that people would continue to congregate in your yard. Make
it as high as local code allows. You could probably also get away with
putting a row of barbed wire at the top. I think that would take care
of the problem.

One could also obstruct access with a hedge of blackberries or other
thorned bushes.

Great idea, except for waiting for the bushes to grow sufficiently to fill
in and create a solid hedge. A lot of people in my general area have a 3-4
foot high chainlink fence that has gradually been engulfed with bushes of
various sorts, many of them thorned.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 13hrs 23mins
Okay, everyone out of the gene pool!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 12:57:53p, SteveB told us...

Can we like bury the hatchet on the electric fence posting I made?

One of the things about Usenet is that one can write the stupidest things
imaginable, and they're forgotten in about two weeks when the next thing
comes along.

Two exceptions:
1. When the OP keeps on writing about it.
2. When some anal character with no life dredges up Google archives and
reminds us all.

Not to worry, we've all done it.

Back to the fence. Can you make it muddy? How about a rock garden? How
about some thorny plants that grow fast? Some sprinklers that are motion
activated? Think, man. You can outwit those crack heads without direct
warfare.

Steve

Steve, I really like that idea about motion activated sprinklers!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 12hrs 53mins
Double-check the redundancy generator,
will you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 11 Oct 2008 01:44:07p, SteveB told us...

[...]

Crackheads are like the Witch on Oz. Water hits them, and they melt.

We used to have that problem a few houses down. I think they're gone now,
as there used to be a constant flow of cars and motorcycles at all hours of
the day and night. No traffic there now.

We do have one neighbor across the street and over one house who is a
diagnosed schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder. When he's off
his meds he can be a very noisy (shouting obscenities) nuisance, but he
doesn't interact with other neighbors.

The biggest problem we have on our street are people who just don't take
care of their houses or properties. I don't think there's a real solution
for that. I don't know or trust these people, so I certainly don't want to
interact or have a confrontation with any of them.

The OP wants solutions without escalating. What can be more innocuous
than sprinklers? Also good for roaming dogs, cats, deer, skunks, people
...... oh yah, we said that.

Perfect!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 2dys 11hrs 42mins
Bus error - passengers dumped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Blass wrote:
Can we like bury the hatchet on the electric fence posting I made?

I just have about 20 years of anger built up over kids and adults
using my front yard as either a playground or 'shortcut'. Many loiter
in my yard for many minutes to a full hour. Some even do business with
either drugs or prostitution. You might can imagine how that might
make you feel? (big snip)

Maybe a row of shrubbery with thorns would help? My sympathies on your
neighborhood going to hell- I moved out of one apartment complex when it
became clear one building in back was a drug house, and management and
cops did nothing about it. Even the 'fancy' apartment complex I moved
into after that wasn't much better. Repeated daytime burglaries while I
was at work, and nothing but a shrug from management and cops. So 3
years ago I bought a small house in a small rural subdivision- nothing
fancy, and most of my neighbors are retirees. But about half of them
have dogs, and I have had zero crime problems. I have accidentally left
garage door open overnight and even during the day (faulty auto-reverse
sensor on door), and nothing ever walked off. Too bad right now is such
a lousy time to sell a house- sounds like moving might be the best thing
for your health. That stress can kill you.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Bob F" wrote in message

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 09:35:54a, Robert Blass told us...

Can we like bury the hatchet on the electric fence posting I made?

Robert, why not *just* a conventional fence? Could be chain link, or any
manner of wooden fence designs. Full enclosure with a gate. It's
unlikely
that people would continue to congregate in your yard. Make it as high
as
local code allows. You could probably also get away with putting a row
of
barbed wire at the top. I think that would take care of the problem.

One could also obstruct access with a hedge of blackberries or other
thorned bushes.

Yes, how about Hawthorn, they have 1 to 2" long razor sharp spikes grow out
from the branches, they can rip the flesh or penetrate deep. Or a Japanese
Angelica which are lined with sharp thorns all up the trunks, stems and even
the joints in the compound leaves, a brush up against a branch will take the
skin off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Bob F" wrote in message

[...]

And just who is going to take care of these beauties?

Steve

Verrrrry carefully. I have some Japanese Angelicas also known as devils
walkingstick, thick leather gloves are usually enough for pruning. Generally
they don't need much work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 8:56�pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

"Bob F" wrote in message

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. 185.247...
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

The home I grew up in had jagger headges, to discourage people
entering the yard.

a nice fence is much easier and requires no trimming

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

One could also obstruct access with a hedge of blackberries or other thorned
bushes.

Yes, how about Hawthorn, they have 1 to 2" long razor sharp spikes grow out
from the branches, they can rip the flesh or penetrate deep. Or a Japanese
Angelica which are lined with sharp thorns all up the trunks, stems and even
the joints in the compound leaves, a brush up against a branch will take the
skin off.

Holly is pretty effective also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:42:19 GMT, aemeijers sayd
the following:

sounds like moving might be the best thing
for your health. That stress can kill you.

Indeed if only for money I have none.

THANKS ALL for your tips and tricks!

:-D