Hardwood Flooring in a Double Wide?

Old October 7th 08, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwood Flooring in a Double Wide?

I have a double-wide trailer in Delaware and need to replace all my
rugs due to an errant dog who has now passed.

I am thinking of trying hardwood flooring or laminates, but I have to
wonder if I can do that. I am thinking that my sub-flooring might not
handle hardwood flooring. Laminates might be possible since my
understanding is that they can be installed as 'floating'. I am not
sure I really care for laminates however.

I guess what I am looking for here is any advice pertinent to my
concerns - even 'don't do it'.

Thanks

-GECKO
Old October 7th 08, 04:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

When you say "if the subfloor can handle it" are you referring to the
weight of real hardwood? If so, the weight will not be an issue at all--
even a very small person standing on the floor will put far more
pounds/square foot than hardwood flooring. In fact, some mobilehome
floors are not that sturdy-- kind of "springy" feeling. Real hardwood
(about 3/4" oak) would actually be better than laminate I would think.
Good luck Larry

Old October 7th 08, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 9:00*am, gecko wrote:
I have a double-wide trailer in Delaware and need to replace all my
rugs due to an errant dog who has now passed.

I am thinking of trying hardwood flooring or laminates, but I have to
wonder if I can do that. *I am thinking that my sub-flooring might not
handle hardwood flooring. *Laminates might be possible since my
understanding is that they can be installed as 'floating'. *I am not
sure I really care for laminates however.

I guess what I am looking for here is any advice pertinent to my
concerns - even 'don't do it'.

Thanks

-GECKO

I agree, if you can afford it, and you think the investment is worth
it, go with 3/4 inch real HW it will be stronger (prefinished 3/4 inch
T&G is available too). Remember yachts have real HW floors and
doublewides can too. If not then an engineered real hardwood veneer
might save some time and money but you will have to make sure current
floor has no spongy areas. A cheap laminate will probably look right
at home in a mobile home, but then it wont set that home apart from
any neighbors (selling competitors) when you go to sell it either.
Also the gas-out on real HW is negligible, whereas on laminates and
engineered in a closed trailer you will have to vent frequently till
the formaldehide releases (remember the Katrina trailers and health
problems with those).

I saw a trucker the other day at a stop here driving one of those new
Navistar LoneStar semi's, it had a real hardwood floor in the sleeping
compartment! Wow what a beautiful truck, if you ever get a chance to
see one of those LoneStars do it, they are quite impressive.

Old October 7th 08, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 10:00�am, gecko wrote:
I have a double-wide trailer in Delaware and need to replace all my
rugs due to an errant dog who has now passed.

I am thinking of trying hardwood flooring or laminates, but I have to
wonder if I can do that. �I am thinking that my sub-flooring might not
handle hardwood flooring. �Laminates might be possible since my
understanding is that they can be installed as 'floating'. �I am not
sure I really care for laminates however.

I guess what I am looking for here is any advice pertinent to my
concerns - even 'don't do it'.

Thanks

-GECKO

the sub floor is likely chip board and might be 1/2 inch thick or
less.

mobile homes often have springly floors, trying to nail real hardwood
to a springy surface will likely cause lots of squeaking, loose
hardwood over time etc........

Old October 7th 08, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 08:53:57a, told us...

On Oct 7, 10:00�am, gecko wrote:
[...]

A lot depends on the age and manufacturer of the home. We have a double
wide *manufactured home* that I would hardly consider a *mobile home*. Its
construction materials and characteristics are the same as a stick built
home. Our subfloors are 3/4" plywood. Our home is "ground set", in that
it has a stem wall foundation and steel pier support on 3 foot centers
under the entire house. Our bathrooms and kitchen have ceramic tile floors
which have no cracks in either the tiles or grout. I'm sure if I wanted to
install hardwood floors that it would not be a problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 12hrs 25mins
'Peace is rarely denied to the
peaceful.'--Johann von Schiller
Old October 7th 08, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"gecko" wrote in message
I have a double-wide trailer in Delaware and need to replace all my
rugs due to an errant dog who has now passed.

I am thinking of trying hardwood flooring or laminates, but I have to
wonder if I can do that. I am thinking that my sub-flooring might not
handle hardwood flooring. Laminates might be possible since my
understanding is that they can be installed as 'floating'. I am not
sure I really care for laminates however.

I guess what I am looking for here is any advice pertinent to my
concerns - even 'don't do it'.

Thanks

-GECKO

There are many options. When you say hardwood, do you mean the regular 3/4"
think wood that has to be finished? There are real hardwood that is
pre-finished too, but the easiest for DIY is engineered hardwood. It is a
plywood with a nice top layer and a very tough finish. A few tools and a
weekend will do a good sized area. IMO, it looks better than laminate and
installs about the same. It can go down as a floating floor, same as
laminate.

Take a cruise over to a local flooring dealer and see the array of goodies
they have. Many options in every price range.

Old October 8th 08, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

gecko wrote:
I have a double-wide trailer in Delaware and need to replace all my
rugs due to an errant dog who has now passed.

I am thinking of trying hardwood flooring or laminates, but I have to
wonder if I can do that. I am thinking that my sub-flooring might not
handle hardwood flooring. Laminates might be possible since my
understanding is that they can be installed as 'floating'. I am not
sure I really care for laminates however.

I guess what I am looking for here is any advice pertinent to my
concerns - even 'don't do it'.

Thanks

-GECKO

How dry is it under that trailer? Most trailers I have seen aren't real
solid on the bottom, and hardwood does not cope with moisture well. Not
to mention the problems with the floors getting taller on all the doors.
I'd go with a good grade of textured vinyl and area rugs, myself.

--
aem sends...
Old October 8th 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 04:49:42p, aemeijers told us...

gecko wrote:
[...]

Again, age, manufacturer, and method of installation of the double wide
unit are key to its construction and the various characteristics that some
folks are criticizing/evaluating without knowing all the details.

Modern manufactured homes, in this case a double-wide, often exceed the
specs used for stick built homes. They go through rigorous inspections,
are well insulated, have sturdy subflooring, and are extremely well sealed
from the underside.

Unless the OP states otherwise, I rather doubt that this qualifies as a
"trailer".

Manufactured homes, whether they are installed above grade or "ground set"
at grade, have no more moisture underneath them than a stick built home
with a crawlspace.

I think we need to hear more from the OP to accurately make any kind of
recommendation.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 6hrs 42mins
Beatings will continue until morale
improves.
Old October 8th 08, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

gecko wrote:
[...]

Let me quote the OP: "I have a double-wide trailer in Delaware", so
barring info to the contrary from the OP, I'm going to assume he has a
double wide trailer a.k.a. mobile home, not a manufacturered home that
is placed on a foundation.

My recommendation would be for the laminate as adding the least
thickness, and being more tolerant of dampness that hardwood,
conventional or engineered. If it's replacing carpeting, the laminate
thickness should be comperable so no door issues would be expected.