Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default wood stove temperature

The woodstove at the cottage has an expose flue pipe and I have a
magnetic temp guage on the pipe. Keeps me in the safe burn zone which
results in 0 pipe buildup. Have a wood burning insert at home with no
exposed flue (pacific energy). Dealer says to place the magnetic temp
guage on the lip of the stove top. It would result in a pretty
accurate temperature comparable to the flue pipe. Any thoughts on
this? I would assume the top of the unit would be considerably cooler
that the flue pipe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
The woodstove at the cottage has an expose flue pipe and I have a
magnetic temp guage on the pipe. Keeps me in the safe burn zone which
results in 0 pipe buildup.

Can't answer your question, but will ask one of my own.
I also have a woodstove at the cottage with a temperature gauge; but don't
really know how to use it. It was there when i bought the cottage.
I assume you are supposed to keep the temperature below the red area, but
figured that was to keep it from being a fire hazzard, rather than
preventing buildup. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
The woodstove at the cottage has an expose flue pipe and I have a
magnetic temp guage on the pipe. Keeps me in the safe burn zone which
results in 0 pipe buildup. Have a wood burning insert at home with no
exposed flue (pacific energy). Dealer says to place the magnetic temp
guage on the lip of the stove top. It would result in a pretty
accurate temperature comparable to the flue pipe. Any thoughts on
this? I would assume the top of the unit would be considerably cooler
that the flue pipe?

The magnetic ones can fall off the flue when they get really hot. I always
run the stove at about 400 degrees as measured on the top. Once or twice a
day I'll run it up to about 800 in order to burn out any crap built up in
the flue and thimble. There is a definite correlation between the flue
temperature and the stove temperature so being consistent at one place you
are OK. The difference can vary from stove model to stove model, but at 400
or so you are OK unless the manufacturer give different numbers. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
Can't answer your question, but will ask one of my own.
I also have a woodstove at the cottage with a temperature gauge; but don't
really know how to use it. It was there when i bought the cottage.
I assume you are supposed to keep the temperature below the red area, but
figured that was to keep it from being a fire hazzard, rather than
preventing buildup. Any advice would be appreciated.

That is pretty much it. If you go too low you get more creosote buildup.
You never want to see anything glowing red!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message
That is pretty much it. If you go too low you get more creosote buildup.
You never want to see anything glowing red!

Of course you do. That's how an airtight stove works when you turn it
down for the night. You just open it up in the morning and burn out the
creosote. I have an airtight with a glass front' It runs the best
glowing red with a small amount of blue flames.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

You want the wood making fire to glow, but you don't want the cast iron
stove itself to glow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Oct 6, 9:38*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

There is a definite correlation between the flue
temperature and the stove temperature so being consistent at one place you
are OK. *The difference can vary from stove model to stove model, but at 400
or so you are OK unless the manufacturer give different numbers. .

On mine, the catalytic converter at the output of the stove/input to
stove pipe runs 1500-1700 degrees when working properly. Of course
that's not air temp as it goes up the pipe. Just showing that
different stoves have different ways of measuring proper operating
temperature.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Oct 8, 4:31*pm, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:

You want the wood making fire to glow, but you don't want the cast iron
stove itself to glow.

I don't think you could make the stove glow unless you had a bellows.

--

Neighbor had a wood stove with a glass insert in the door. Left the
ash door open to get the fire started. Walked off and forgot it.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Blattus Slafaly" wrote in message

I don't think you could make the stove glow unless you had a bellows.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Yes you can, that is why I mentioned it.
I've seen glowing doors I've seen glowing flue pipes. While I've never seen
an entire stove glow, parts of it can be made that hot. Critical areas are
the flue and any place the gasket may be leaking air in. Has the same
effect as bellows.