Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

Old October 6th 08, 04:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?
Old October 6th 08, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

It could be the flywheel sheer pin. Until you mentioned that ran over a
shovel thing (or was it a rake this time?) I was gonna say the carb is
gummed up.

If it's running too lean, you might try wrapping the air cleaner element
with a damp paper towel to choke down the air supply.

But check the flywheel pin; that's cheap and easy.

Bob
Old October 6th 08, 06:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"lbbss" wrote in message
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

The gas cap vent is likely plugged. Just try loosening the cap a turn or so and
see if it solves the problem.

Old October 6th 08, 09:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

You have removed and cleaned the air filter??

Lou
Old October 6th 08, 12:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 9:49*pm, lbbss wrote:
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. * After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. * *When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. * I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. * *So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. * There was no water in the fuel. * I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
* * *The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. * It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. * *Any ideas what else I could try?

Its fuel or electrical, 2 minutes indicates when the carb is empty it
dies so a fuel passage or float, does it start whan you force gas in
by priming, then its fuel related. if more then a few minutes it could
be the ignition module, see if you get spark after it dies, probably
need a carb rebuild
Old October 6th 08, 04:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

yes put a new air filter.

Old October 6th 08, 04:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Gas lawnmower. I tried starting it today again it was difficult.
When I prime it I can smell the gas, I even see some in the air
filter. But after pulling the rope many times to try to start it, I
would expect to see a wet spark plug, but mine is always dry. Last
time when I unscrewed the bottom of the carb pan, there was gas is the
small metal pan. Maybe the problem is past that area? Thanks.

Old October 6th 08, 05:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Gravity fed fuel or a pulse-pump to feed fuel? Sounds like the carb
bowl goes empty. I'd remove it and watch the fuel flow for say a cup of
gas; is it a consistant flow or is it slow, just a drip?

Dry plug says no fuel; Next is carb in the line. Then the fuel filter;
those plug easily. Then the fuel tank, usually with a screen over the
output, inside the tank. Tank could need cleaning, could be a plugged
fuel filter, fuel not getting to carb, carb plugged or jets plugged.
Not much more in the ckt.

This could well be nothing but a plugged fuel filter; changed it too?

Old October 6th 08, 06:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 8:24*am, lbbss wrote:
Gas *lawnmower. * *I tried starting it today again it was difficult..
When I prime it I can smell the gas, I even see some in the air
filter. *But after pulling the rope many times to try to start it, I
would expect to see a wet spark plug, but mine is always dry. * *Last
time when I unscrewed the bottom of the carb pan, there was gas is the
small metal pan. * *Maybe the problem is past that area? * Thanks.

Its fuel or electrical, 2 minutes indicates when the carb is empty it
dies so a fuel passage or float, does it start whan you force gas in
by priming, then its fuel related. if more then a few minutes it could
be the ignition module, see if you get spark after it dies, probably
need a carb rebuild- Hide quoted text -

As someone asked earlier, diid you check the flywheel pin? it may be
sheared just a tiny bit.
Old October 7th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Kind of a longshot but check your blade. This same type of problem happened
with my Craftsman. The blade was out of tightness due to hitting a wooden
post. It sheared the little knobby things that hold the blade tight and it
caused a tough time starting..

"lbbss" wrote in message
yes put a new air filter.

You have removed and cleaned the air filter??

Lou

Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 02:27 PM
Need help with lawn mower DerbyDad03 Home Repair 0 May 14th 08 07:48 PM
Lawn Mower Ed UK diy 4 February 19th 07 01:05 PM
Lawn Mower Help kd3yt Home Repair 6 December 14th 06 10:48 AM
Engine dies when mower deck is turned on Daryl Helwig Home Repair 13 August 25th 03 05:21 AM