DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/262019-lawn-mower-dies-after-few-minutes.html)

lbbss October 6th 08 03:49 AM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

zxcvbob October 6th 08 04:22 AM

lbbss wrote:
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

It could be the flywheel sheer pin. Until you mentioned that ran over a
shovel thing (or was it a rake this time?) I was gonna say the carb is
gummed up.

If it's running too lean, you might try wrapping the air cleaner element
with a damp paper towel to choke down the air supply.

But check the flywheel pin; that's cheap and easy.

Bob

Bob F October 6th 08 05:01 AM

"lbbss" wrote in message
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

The gas cap vent is likely plugged. Just try loosening the cap a turn or so and
see if it solves the problem.

LouB October 6th 08 08:25 AM

lbbss wrote:
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

You have removed and cleaned the air filter??

Lou

ransley October 6th 08 11:38 AM

On Oct 5, 9:49*pm, lbbss wrote:
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. * After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. * *When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. * I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. * *So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. * There was no water in the fuel. * I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
* * *The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. * It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. * *Any ideas what else I could try?

Its fuel or electrical, 2 minutes indicates when the carb is empty it
dies so a fuel passage or float, does it start whan you force gas in
by priming, then its fuel related. if more then a few minutes it could
be the ignition module, see if you get spark after it dies, probably
need a carb rebuild

lbbss October 6th 08 03:09 PM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

yes put a new air filter.

lbbss October 6th 08 03:24 PM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

Gas lawnmower. I tried starting it today again it was difficult.
When I prime it I can smell the gas, I even see some in the air
filter. But after pulling the rope many times to try to start it, I
would expect to see a wet spark plug, but mine is always dry. Last
time when I unscrewed the bottom of the carb pan, there was gas is the
small metal pan. Maybe the problem is past that area? Thanks.

TWayne October 6th 08 04:24 PM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

Gravity fed fuel or a pulse-pump to feed fuel? Sounds like the carb
bowl goes empty. I'd remove it and watch the fuel flow for say a cup of
gas; is it a consistant flow or is it slow, just a drip?

Dry plug says no fuel; Next is carb in the line. Then the fuel filter;
those plug easily. Then the fuel tank, usually with a screen over the
output, inside the tank. Tank could need cleaning, could be a plugged
fuel filter, fuel not getting to carb, carb plugged or jets plugged.
Not much more in the ckt.

This could well be nothing but a plugged fuel filter; changed it too?

Rich256 October 6th 08 05:32 PM

On Oct 6, 8:24*am, lbbss wrote:
Gas *lawnmower. * *I tried starting it today again it was difficult..
When I prime it I can smell the gas, I even see some in the air
filter. *But after pulling the rope many times to try to start it, I
would expect to see a wet spark plug, but mine is always dry. * *Last
time when I unscrewed the bottom of the carb pan, there was gas is the
small metal pan. * *Maybe the problem is past that area? * Thanks.

Its fuel or electrical, 2 minutes indicates when the carb is empty it
dies so a fuel passage or float, does it start whan you force gas in
by priming, then its fuel related. if more then a few minutes it could
be the ignition module, see if you get spark after it dies, probably
need a carb rebuild- Hide quoted text -

As someone asked earlier, diid you check the flywheel pin? it may be
sheared just a tiny bit.

lilo October 6th 08 11:34 PM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

Kind of a longshot but check your blade. This same type of problem happened
with my Craftsman. The blade was out of tightness due to hitting a wooden
post. It sheared the little knobby things that hold the blade tight and it
caused a tough time starting..

yes put a new air filter.

lbbss October 7th 08 12:24 AM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

would fly wheel pin prevent gas from getting to the spark plug?
Because that is definitely a problem, I keep priming and pulling and
then check the spark plug and it is dry as dry can be.

lbbss October 7th 08 12:26 AM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

would that prevent gas from getting to the spark plug? Because that
is definitely a problem, I keep priming and pulling and then check the
spark plug and it is dry as dry can be. And would that explain why
it would dry all of a sudden after it starts?

Stormin Mormon October 7th 08 02:51 AM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

I've seen on Tecumsehs, sometimes gasket between the carb and the engine
dries out. Might have to remove the carb, put a dab of Permatex #2 non
hardening gasket crap on the both sides of the gasket, and bolt er back on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

SexySusie July 26th 17 01:14 PM

Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

replying to Bob F, SexySusie wrote:
This worked!!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...es-334903-.htm

Bob F July 26th 17 02:15 PM

On 7/26/2017 5:14 AM, SexySusie wrote:
replying to Bob F, SexySusie wrote:
This worked!!!!

That's what I like about usenet. My answer still works after 7 years.