Posted to alt.home.repair

Default filling gap around water heater exhaust pipe and hole in wall

So our exhaust pipe from our hot water heater goes up from the unit, then
turns a 90 degree angle to exit the room through a hole in the drywall of the
back wall, to the next room.
In the next room it turns a 90 degree angle upwards and exits through the
ceiling.
The hole in the wall from the room the unit is in, is larger than the exhaust
pipe.
The previous owner had insulation stuffed around the pipe to clog the gap, and
a service man said that may be a fire hazard.
I'm looking to completely full this gap without causing a hazard.
Please coups someone link me to the proper solution to this problem?
Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...l-1138889-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/25/2017 12:14 AM, msartore8 wrote:
So our exhaust pipe from our hot water heater goes up from the unit, then
turns a 90 degree angle to exit the room through a hole in the drywall
of the
back wall, to the next room.
In the next room it turns a 90 degree angle upwards and exits through the
ceiling.
The hole in the wall from the room the unit is in, is larger than the
exhaust
pipe.
The previous owner had insulation stuffed around the pipe to clog the
gap, and
a service man said that may be a fire hazard.
I'm looking to completely full this gap without causing a hazard.
Please coups someone link me to the proper solution to this problem?
Thanks!

type b vent wall thimble

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:14:05 AM UTC-4, msartore8 wrote:
So our exhaust pipe from our hot water heater goes up from the unit, then
turns a 90 degree angle to exit the room through a hole in the drywall of the
back wall, to the next room.
In the next room it turns a 90 degree angle upwards and exits through the
ceiling.
The hole in the wall from the room the unit is in, is larger than the exhaust
pipe.
The previous owner had insulation stuffed around the pipe to clog the gap, and
a service man said that may be a fire hazard.
I'm looking to completely full this gap without causing a hazard.
Please coups someone link me to the proper solution to this problem?
Thanks!

The service man said it *may* be a fire hazard. Before I spent too much time trying to
find a "proper solution" I'd determine if it actually is a hazard or not.

Did he say why it *may* be a fire hazard?
Posted to alt.home.repair

and
a service man said that may be a fire hazard.
I'm looking to completely full this gap without causing a hazard.
Please coups someone link me to the proper solution to this problem?
Thanks!

the key words you want to google search for are
flue combustible wall clearance

the flue can get very hot and if it is too close and not properly shielded from a combustible wall can be a fire hazard.

There are also building codes about this

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 04:51:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Use rockwool, not fiberglass, and there is NO fire hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But like Mako said, there are building codes and fire codes and I think
he has it right, you need a double wall properly rated pipe when passing
through that wall. I would also look pretty ugly and obviously half-assed
if you stuffed rock wool around it.

And notice I won't take a cheap shot at you here Clare for another
wrong answer either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And I won't take a shot at anyone either but I'm pretty sure a power vented water
heater with a Schedule 40 exhaust pipe doesn't need a double wall pipe or get so hot
as to be a fire hazard.

That is why I asked the OP if he knows *why* the service guy said it _may_ be a fire hazard.
The OP called him *a* service guy. We don't even know what kind of service guy he was.
For all we know, it was a service guy from the cable company. One would think that if
he was a certified water heater service guy he wouldn't use the word "may" because he
would know if it was a fire hazard or not.

Unless we know what kind of exhaust pipe he has, we really shouldn't be tossing out
solutions related to piping or types of insulation. For all we know, the previous owner
was trying to block sound or air from passing between the rooms around a PVC pipe.

Lots of conclusions being drawn without enough facts to make them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I start with what is given and he did say that a serviceman told
him that the insulation stuffed around the vent pipe could be a fire hazard,
which set the stage for the question. So, I assumed it's a conventional
water heater with a hot vent.
You're right, if it's a water heater that uses PVC pipe, then it's not
a fire hazard. We'll probably never know, because the homemoaners
usually are never heard from again.