Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default electrical box above drop ceiling

Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

As long as it's accessible, it's fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

One of the biggest reasons that almost all commercial work uses
drop ceilings.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"sid" wrote in message
Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple
conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but
what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:34:37 -0700 (PDT), sid
wrote:

Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

I thought the purpose of drop ceilings was to cover the boxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can I leave and/or add a electrical box above drop ceiling? No
receptacle or switch, just a junction box where multiple conduits
intersect. I know you can't bury one in a finished wall, but what
about above a drop-ceiling?

Thanks

I thought the purpose of drop ceilings was to cover the boxes.

I installed a dropped cieling in a back basement to cover up all the
surface wiring.

previous owners ran everything on the surface, so did the builder back
in 1950.

basements should always have suspended cielings for easy access

Posted to alt.home.repair

You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Oct 5, 6:22*pm, "SBH" wrote:
You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain
incandescent fixture on the bottom ? Do I need to remove those
fixtures and cover them as well ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
On Oct 5, 6:22 pm, "SBH" wrote:
You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain
incandescent fixture on the bottom ? Do I need to remove those
fixtures and cover them as well ?

Only if wires are exposed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 9:04�pm, "SBH" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

On Oct 5, 6:22 pm, "SBH" wrote:

You just need to make sure you cover the junction box also.

What about the boxes that the builder installed that have a porcelain
incandescent fixture on the bottom ? �Do I need to remove those
fixtures and cover them as well ?

Only if wires are exposed.

if bulbs were originally screwed in i would just screw in plug
adapters so no shock hazard can exist. anyhow thats what i did and the
home inspector didnt note it as a problem.