Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default hex nut grabber

Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find one.

I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give me just
a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me toward
it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to
find one.
I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give
me just a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab
it.
If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me
toward it!

Here's one. They come in multiple sizes
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=21116

Here's a flexible one:
http://toolmonger.com/2006/07/29/flexible-grabber-tool/

Hope this gets you started.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find one.

I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give me just
a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me toward
it!

Here's what I've used for that purpose to handle small nuts in
"unreachable" locations since G-d was a little boy.

Lay the nut on something solid, take an appropriate length of wire
solder and place the last 1/4" or so of it over the hole in the nut.
Then whack the solder with a hammer.

The solder will deform down into the threaded hole in the nut and grab
it pretty firmly. You can bend the wire solder to whatever shape you
need to get the nut to reach the end of the bolt and face it at the
proper angle.

Once you get the first couple of screw threads started into the nut you
can yank on the solder and it'll pull off.

Works for me....But I also have one and treasure of those long flexible
grabbers to pick up stuff which "falls in the cracks."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message ...
Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find
one.

I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give me
just a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me
toward it!

Can you reach it with your finger? If so,

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43407

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 4:06*pm, "rb" wrote:
Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find one.

I need a nut-grabber. * This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. *It would have to give me just
a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me toward
it!

Scotch tape and long screwdriver.

Also works great for placing screws in awkward places, especially
overhead when you wish you had three hands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're just trying to get a nut started on a vertical bolt or stud
and can't get it started because of the depth of the socket I can help
you.

Put a second nut in the socket to move the intended nut that much
closer to the bolt or stud. Once you have it started remove the
unneeded nut from the socket and tighten to desired torque.

G.S

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:06:57 -0500, "rb" wrote:

Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find one.

I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give me just
a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me toward
it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

If you're just trying to get a nut started on a vertical bolt or stud
and can't get it started because of the depth of the socket I can help
you.

Put a second nut in the socket to move the intended nut that much
closer to the bolt or stud. Once you have it started remove the
unneeded nut from the socket and tighten to desired torque.

G.S

and use deep sockets.put some candlewax on the nut to keep it from falling
out.
Perhaps you could also use one of those pickup tools that have 3 spring-
loaded fingers at the end of a cable;a "parts-grabber".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

That just sounds painful. (especially the hex part)

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in :

Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to
find one.

I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give
me just a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab
it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me
toward it!

Valuable in some situations is a magnet. There are all types of small &
large diameter telescoping and flexible magnets available everywhere from
Ace Hardware to Harbor Freight.

Haven't seen the infamous brass magnet yet but it must be out there. Heck,
Ace even shows a Roach Magnet, Mosquito Magnet and, get this, an Odor Air
Magnet. Surely they must have one that sticks to brass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
That just sounds painful. (especially the hex part)

Best regards,
Bob

Nah, once they put a hex on your nuts you don't feel a thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 24, 3:06*pm, "rb" wrote:
Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find one.

I need a nut-grabber. * This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. *It would have to give me just
a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me toward
it!

Auto techs for years have used a bit of a paper towel stuffed into a
socket to hold the nut in place. Works like a charm, nothing to buy.
HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "rb" wrote:

Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find one.

I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside
something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give me just
a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.

If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me toward
it!

For small nuts they make little plastic nut starters that are about the
diameter of a pencil but a bit shorter. Hollow on either end, like a
thick-walled straw. Just put the nut on the table, jam the starter over
it, and the round plastic hole deforms enough to grab the hex nut pretty
securely. They cost a buck or two.