winterizing a cabin

Old September 27th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default winterizing a cabin

I have a cabin (20x24) with a full wood foundation basement in central
Wisconsin. There's no heating system this winter and I need to
winterize. I will drain pipes and toilet, pressure tank and water
heater, the last of which is in the basement, and put insulation around
pipes where well comes into building.

Will winter actually freeze things in the basement? Average frost depth
is about 3 ft or so. I'm wondering if I should remove all canned goods,
liquids, etc, or if I could get by putting them on the floor with perhaps
insulation over.

Advice?

Franz Fripplfrappl
Old September 28th 08, 12:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have a cabin (20x24) with a full wood foundation basement in central
Wisconsin. There's no heating system this winter and I need to
winterize. I will drain pipes and toilet, pressure tank and water
heater, the last of which is in the basement, and put insulation around
pipes where well comes into building.

Will winter actually freeze things in the basement? Average frost depth
is about 3 ft or so. I'm wondering if I should remove all canned goods,
liquids, etc, or if I could get by putting them on the floor with perhaps
insulation over.

Advice?

Pour RV antifreeze into all sink traps. Pour it into the toilet bowl
too.

3 foot frost depth? Is the well pipe(s) above that depth?
I would be wary of leaving water in them. Is this submersible pump?
Insulating them will do nothing.

If you have appliances, such as dishwasher/washing machine,
the pumps on them must be protected as well as the supply lines
and control sol valves.
Old September 28th 08, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Sep 27, 5:56*pm, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have a cabin (20x24) with a full wood foundation basement in central
Wisconsin. *There's no heating system this winter and I need to
winterize. *I will drain pipes and toilet, pressure tank and water
heater, the last of which is in the basement, and put insulation around
pipes where well comes into building.

Will winter actually freeze things in the basement? *Average frost depth
is about 3 ft or so. *I'm wondering if I should remove all canned goods,
liquids, etc, or if I could get by putting them on the floor with perhaps
insulation over.

Advice?

Franz Fripplfrappl

Take everything home that has a liquid water content, foods, latex
paint, insect sprays, the whole gamut. Even yard sprayer nozzles will
freeze and break. Insulation can't stop Mother Nature. Your frost line
actually approaches 4' IIRC. If the cabin has a previous history of
winter survival, those freeze preventative measures will work. If you
are starting from scratch, there will be unexpected surprises. Best to
find a way to empty the well pipes if you can since that otherwise
would be an expensive repair. Whatever, good luck and may Global
Warming be on your side.

Joe