Where to buy rabbit ears?

Old September 21st 08, 05:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N

Default Where to buy rabbit ears?

Does anyone sell simple rabbit ear TV antennas anymore? I got my DTV
boxes today and hooked one up in the bedroom, turns out that my old
rabbit ears allow the box to work, while the shiny new amplified
antenna that I bought doesn't really do a heck of a lot. I have
another TV with no antenna whatsoever which is why I bought a new
antenna. Or is there a more expensive antenna that will provide
better reception? I do live in a metropolitan area but I'm only
getting about half the channels that I should based on looking at
titantv.com and tvfool.com

Of course I don't watch that much TV, but so much of it is crap that
options are good...

nate
Old September 21st 08, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
Does anyone sell simple rabbit ear TV antennas anymore? I got my DTV
boxes today and hooked one up in the bedroom, turns out that my old
rabbit ears allow the box to work, while the shiny new amplified
antenna that I bought doesn't really do a heck of a lot. I have
another TV with no antenna whatsoever which is why I bought a new
antenna. Or is there a more expensive antenna that will provide
better reception? I do live in a metropolitan area but I'm only
getting about half the channels that I should based on looking at
titantv.com and tvfool.com

Of course I don't watch that much TV, but so much of it is crap that
options are good...

nate

RadioShack or Ebay.

Radioshack link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

For $12 it looks pretty basic.

Colbyt

Old September 21st 08, 06:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:03:20 -0400, Colbyt wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
Does anyone sell simple rabbit ear TV antennas anymore? I got my DTV
boxes today and hooked one up in the bedroom, turns out that my old
rabbit ears allow the box to work, while the shiny new amplified
antenna that I bought doesn't really do a heck of a lot. I have
another TV with no antenna whatsoever which is why I bought a new
antenna. Or is there a more expensive antenna that will provide better
reception? I do live in a metropolitan area but I'm only getting about
half the channels that I should based on looking at titantv.com and
tvfool.com

Of course I don't watch that much TV, but so much of it is crap that
options are good...

nate

RadioShack or Ebay.

Radioshack link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?

productId=2103077&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.20322 04&parentPage=family

For $12 it looks pretty basic.

Colbyt

Rabbit Ears are still rabbit ears. They didn't work all that well 30
years ago, and I cannot image they will work all that well with digital.
Reflections from people, room furniture, so-on and so-forth.

Even in Metro areas, you still may have to go back to a roof top antenna
with mast motor to spin (aim) the antenna. You may not need the antenna
gain needed from the analog days, but you may need the lower interference
a roof mounted antenna offers.

Old September 22nd 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Again wrote in
m:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:03:20 -0400, Colbyt wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Until a short bit ago I would have agreed with you.

I [icked up a cheapo DTV at Walmart like 9 mos ago. I was in a rural area
and just had cable on it.

I am about 45 air miles from Raleigh NC now. I put on some ears and had
the TV on analog. Few stations. All snowey except for 1-2 sometimes.

I flipped it to DTV. A bunch of stations come in crystal clear from
Raleigh NC to Florence SC. I like this DTV stuff. I rarely watch TV so
paying for cable is not practical. Brings back memories of free 2-13 in
the NYC tristate area. There was no cable.
Old September 22nd 08, 03:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

Phil Again wrote in
m:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:03:20 -0400, Colbyt wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message

. ..
[...]

My first apartment had a "community antenna" system,so we could connect to
the wall F-connector and not need an antenna.Later,they put subscription
HBO on it from a downtown microwave feed.Then they got fancy and had their
own mini-"cable" system with a dozen channels that you needed a
subscription block converter box to receive,but still could get the OTA
channels free.
(and if you had one of the first "cable-ready" TVs,you got -all- the good
stuff free;they hadn't wised up to that yet!)

Ah,those were the days....

Now,I have a DTV converter and amplified indoor settop antenna,but
reception is iffy on several desired channels,even though I'm fairly close
to the transmitter sites.(within 25 miles)
I get a lot of dropout,pixellating,and freezes,particularly when my
upstairs neighbors are moving around.Annoying.
In storms,the DTV transmitters are the first to lose their signal,while the
same-channel analog signals are still working.

If I want Ch.2,I have to use my old analog TV,that uses it's built in
telescoping antenna.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old September 22nd 08, 03:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:16:21 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

[snip]

I flipped it to DTV. A bunch of stations come in crystal clear from
Raleigh NC to Florence SC. I like this DTV stuff. I rarely watch TV so
paying for cable is not practical. Brings back memories of free 2-13 in
the NYC tristate area. There was no cable.

I had a similar experience here, using a small indoor antenna (3 UHF
channels receivable): With analog, only one was really watchable. With
digital, all 3 (and their subchannels) came in almost perfectly
(although there were a few SHORT interruptions during the storm).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Old September 22nd 08, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
Does anyone sell simple rabbit ear TV antennas anymore? I got my DTV
boxes today and hooked one up in the bedroom, turns out that my old
rabbit ears allow the box to work, while the shiny new amplified
antenna that I bought doesn't really do a heck of a lot. I have
another TV with no antenna whatsoever which is why I bought a new
antenna. Or is there a more expensive antenna that will provide
better reception? I do live in a metropolitan area but I'm only
getting about half the channels that I should based on looking at
titantv.com and tvfool.com

Of course I don't watch that much TV, but so much of it is crap that
options are good...

Here's 30 or so, from $0.99 up.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

Old September 22nd 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N

On Sep 21, 2:45*pm, Shaun Eli wrote:
The floor of the attic, below the lowest part of the roof, might work,

Not in my case - I don't have a full attic. No "below the roof"
space.

but rabbit ears are much easier since you don't have to run any wires
anywhere past the television.

yup yup yup...

nate
Old September 22nd 08, 06:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:48:27 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

Does anyone sell simple rabbit ear TV antennas anymore? I got my DTV
boxes today and hooked one up in the bedroom, turns out that my old
rabbit ears allow the box to work, while the shiny new amplified
antenna that I bought doesn't really do a heck of a lot. I have
another TV with no antenna whatsoever which is why I bought a new
antenna. Or is there a more expensive antenna that will provide
better reception? I do live in a metropolitan area but I'm only
getting about half the channels that I should based on looking at
titantv.com and tvfool.com

Of course I don't watch that much TV, but so much of it is crap that
options are good...

nate

Yes, and there are many varieties. Buy 4 or 5 antennas from a store
that will refund your money, determine which one gives you the best
picture, and return the rest. The most expensive one is not
necessarily the best.
Old September 22nd 08, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:13:49 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:48:27 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

Any pet store should have rabbit ears as well as the rest of the
rabbit.

How do these work on channel 18?