Posted to alt.home.repair

Default brick work + more

my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick in the front and the siding with a real brick. i got an impression they have to dig beside the foundation and start the brick from there. i also want to demolition my detached garage as it is going to collapse because it is old. my house is small like (10 feet by 12 feet ) from the outside.

i am looking for a contractor who can help me with this and also changing all windows and changing the front porch.

i have been hearing scary stories. i would appreciate if you can recommend any good contractor who will do this relatively small project. i am looking for someone who is honest. reliable and do quality job. i live in Toronto/Canada the west end of the city. Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

my house is small like (10 feet by 12 feet ) from the outside.

And like the tardis, I suppose it's bigger on the inside (I hope) ?

i would appreciate if you can recommend any good contractor who
will do this relatively small project.
i am looking for someone who is honest. reliable and do quality
job. i live in Toronto/Canada the west end of the city.
Thanks a lot.

Try Jim Caruk.

http://jimcaruk.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-07-2012 20:56, leza wang wrote:
my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick in the front and the siding with a real brick.

Real brick is heavier than brick veneer and much heavier than siding.
Not a good idea unless your foundation already has a ledge for it.

--
Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 1:56*am, leza wang wrote:
my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick in the front and the siding with a real brick. i got an impression they have to dig beside the foundation and start the brick from there. i also want to demolition my detached garage as it is going to collapse because it is old. my house is small *like (10 feet by 12 feet ) from the outside.

i am looking for a contractor who can help me with this and also changing all windows and changing the front porch.

i have been hearing scary stories. i would appreciate if you can recommend any good *contractor who will do this relatively small project. i am looking for someone who is honest. reliable and do quality job. i live in Toronto/Canada the west end of the city. Thanks a lot.

Ten feet by twelve??? Are you a troll?
If it's really that small, better/cheaper to demolish and start again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:56 am, leza wang wrote:
my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the
fake brick in the front and the siding with a real brick. i got an
impression they have to dig beside the foundation and start the
brick from there. i also want to demolition my detached garage as it
is going to collapse because it is old. my house is small like (10
feet by 12 feet ) from the outside.

i am looking for a contractor who can help me with this and also
changing all windows and changing the front porch.

i have been hearing scary stories. i would appreciate if you can
recommend any good contractor who will do this relatively small
project. i am looking for someone who is honest. reliable and do
quality job. i live in Toronto/Canada the west end of the city.
Thanks a lot.

Ten feet by twelve??? Are you a troll?

I've seen houses that small, maybe even a bit less. There are many in
Pacific Grove, California. I suspect they originally housed workers.

I've also seen a whole bunch of two story houses in Skokie, Illinois that
were 20' X 20'. Much bigger than the above but still small.

The plantation houses in Hawaii that housed cane field workers were all very
small too, don't racall the precise size.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message

my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick
in the front and the siding with a real brick.
.. . . i am looking for a contractor who can . . . changing all windows . .
.. i live in Toronto/Canada the west end of the city.

Be warned that some of these tasks (rebuilding with solid brick)
require a building permit although others (new windows) do not.
Consult the municipal building permits office.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 1:51*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Maybe just ready for a change? *Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net

We have a smaller one but it is not deemed fit for habitation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalles..._Great_Britain

Except for illegles lliving in sheds in some places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 10:09:38 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"leza wang" wrote in message

my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick
in the front and the siding with a real brick.
. . . i am looking for a contractor who can . . . changing all windows . .
. i live in Toronto/Canada the west end of the city.

Be warned that some of these tasks (rebuilding with solid brick)
require a building permit although others (new windows) do not.
Consult the municipal building permits office.

Where "just west of Toronto"? If he's in the "green belt" he can
not knock it down and rebuild - he HAS to renovate. Can't get a
permit to build new or rebuild. Sounds like he's along the Hwy 6
corridor - I know several homes of that rough description in that
area. If, however he is "in Toronto" "west end of the city" that
covers a lot of territory. Is he "in toronto" or in Brampton,
Mississauga, Etobicoke,Oakville, Erin Mills, Vaughan,Woodbridge, or
any of a host of other smaller "entities" inside the GTA (Greater
Toronto Area)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 7, 2012 9:47:05 PM UTC-5, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 12-07-2012 20:56, leza wang wrote:

my home is old and i want to do renovation. i need to change the fake brick in the front and the siding with a real brick.

Real brick is heavier than brick veneer and much heavier than siding.

Not a good idea unless your foundation already has a ledge for it.

--

Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!

http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

Thanks a lot Wes for your help and reply. Can you tell me please why it is not good idea to use real brick? One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?

I do not think that my house foundation has ledge. I am just assuming since it is an older home. and by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure if i measure that right but it is smaller house)

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

Thanks a lot Wes for your help and reply. Can you tell me please
why it is not good idea to use real brick?

Why do you feel that you need to remove your "fake-brick" exterior and
replace it with real brick?

That is a complete waste of money.

Remove the fake brick if you want - and then add solid-core foam
insulation boards to the outside (2-inch thick) and then put
conventional vinyl or aluminum siding over it.

One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete
blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all
the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?

I've never heard of anyone going to the trouble of adding a brick
exterior to a home that did not originally have a brick exterior when it
was made. You would absolutely have to dig down 4 feet at least and
pour a concrete foundation to support the bricks. The cost of just
putting in the foundation is absurd and would be more than just putting
up vinyl or aluminum siding.

And by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure if i measure
that right but it is smaller house)

There is no way that your house is 15' x 13' - unless it's part of a
row-house or tenament block.

Is this a fully-detached house?

Or a duplex?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-08-2012 21:02, leza wang wrote:
Thanks a lot Wes for your help and reply. Can you tell me please why it is not good idea to use real brick? One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?

Because it is too heavy. Something BELOW it has to support the weight.
Siding and "fake brick" are light enough for adhesive or fasteners to
have the walls hold it up. Real brick is too heavy for that. But
digging a hole and putting in blocks or additional foundation to support
the brick might work. I understand the principle but I don't know the
exact numbers. Ask an architect or a mason.

I do not think that my house foundation has ledge. I am just assuming since it is an older home. and by the way the size is 15f X 13f (still not sure if i measure that right but it is smaller house)

--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
€” Robert Rhee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 9:27:22 PM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:
leza wang wrote:

[...]

thanks for the reply. i do not know how to measure it. it is small house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms.

the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks.

it is fully detached house.
thanks once again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

probably easier to remove the fake bricks, add a layer of insulation
and cover with siding...

or you might be able to leave the fake bricks add insulation and vinyl
siding which will last more than a lifetime
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

Thanks a lot Wes for your help and reply. Can you tell me please

why it is not good idea to use real brick?

Why do you feel that you need to remove your "fake-brick" exterior and

replace it with real brick?

That is a complete waste of money.

Remove the fake brick if you want - and then add solid-core foam

insulation boards to the outside (2-inch thick) and then put

conventional vinyl or aluminum siding over it.

One contractor told me they usually dig 1-3 feet and put concrete

blocks and then they put bricks on top of this until the cover all

the sides and front. Do you think that might collapse?

I've never heard of anyone going to the trouble of adding a brick

exterior to a home that did not originally have a brick exterior when it

was made. Â*You would absolutely have to dig down 4 feet at least and

pour a concrete foundation to support the bricks. Â*The cost of just

[...]

I have heard of it being done - but they need to get down below the
frost line and pour a footing to support the support wall - which I
would POUR, not block. The two foundations need to be tied together -
and the brick properly tied to the framing of the house. Quite common
to brick the front and side the rest - or brick the bottom storey and
side the top. Unless you are in a neighbourhood where the value of
the house would go up more than the cost of the job, I'd just strip
the brick, apply new insulation, and side with aluminum or vinyl. I
prefer aluminum, myself - but vinyl is cheaper and easier to work
with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

vinyl has a big advantage not only is it cheaper but alunimum
interfers with cell phone service to your home.

plus no one steals vinyl siding but around here people have stripped
the outside of vacant homes for the scrap value of alunimum. no longer
do they just the copper, some take the cast soil stack, the furnace
and ductwork, and even all the copper wiring.

at least the night scrappers are working hard for their money....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-09-2012 23:28, bob haller wrote:
vinyl has a big advantage not only is it cheaper but alunimum
interfers with cell phone service to your home.

It doesn't interfere with mine.

--
Wes Groleau

If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.
But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine,
is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

Â*I have heard of it being done - but they need to get down below the
frost line and pour a footing to support the support wall - which I
would POUR, not block. The two foundations need to be tied together -
and the brick properly tied to the framing of the house. Â*Quite common
to brick the front and side the rest - or brick the bottom storey and
side the top. Â*Unless you are in a neighbourhood where the value of
the house would go up more than the cost of the job, I'd just strip
the brick, apply new insulation, and side with aluminum or vinyl. Â*I
prefer aluminum, myself - but vinyl is cheaper and easier to work
with.

vinyl has a big advantage not only is it cheaper but alunimum
interfers with cell phone service to your home.

Doesn't bother my cell phone - brick main floor, aluminum upper

plus no one steals vinyl siding but around here people have stripped
the outside of vacant homes for the scrap value of alunimum. no longer
do they just the copper, some take the cast soil stack, the furnace
and ductwork, and even all the copper wiring.

at least the night scrappers are working hard for their money....

If you are in one of THOSE neighbourhoods, the property value is never
going to go high enough to pay for thr bricks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

thanks for the reply. i do not know how to measure it. it is small
house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small
bathrooms.

the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i
will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them
with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought
about real bricks.

it is fully detached house.
thanks once again.

I think if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would probably
help in terms of people giving suggestions etc.

But, even without the photos, my guess is that the suggestions about
changing to vinyl siding may turn out to be your best option -- and a lot
less expensive than brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 4:50*pm, "TomR" wrote:
leza wang wrote:

thanks for the reply. i do not know how to measure it. it is small
house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small
bathrooms.

the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i
will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them
with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought
about real bricks.

it is fully detached house.
thanks once again.

I think if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would probably
help in terms of people giving suggestions etc.

But, even without the photos, my guess is that the suggestions about
changing to vinyl siding may turn out to be your best option -- and a lot
less expensive than brick.

yeah brick requires digging and installing a new footer to carry the
bricks weight. and lots of work tying the entire structure
together......

vinyl siding and new windows with added insulation will be far less
expensive and lots less work, and you get a better insulated home with
lower utility bills

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

#
# yeah brick requires digging and installing a new footer to carry the
# bricks weight. and lots of work tying the entire structure
# together......
#
# vinyl siding and new windows with added insulation will be far less
# expensive and lots less work, and you get a better insulated home with
# lower utility bills

I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding"
I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House.
It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang just
like other siding

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-10-2012 21:06, Attila Iskander wrote:
I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding"
I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House.
It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang
just like other siding

It's what he's got and doesn't want.

--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...gs/pants-fire/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-10-2012 21:06, Attila Iskander wrote:
I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding"
I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House.
It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang
just like other siding

It's what he's got and doesn't want.

I disagree
He has "fake brick"
This is actual brick and/or stone material, NOT some vinyl made to look like
brick.
It's just that it's not free-standing, but instead attached to the house.
So you get the real brick without having to build a supporting foundation
for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:26:35 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-10-2012 21:06, Attila Iskander wrote:
I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding"
I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House.
It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang
just like other siding

It's what he's got and doesn't want.

I disagree
He has "fake brick"
This is actual brick and/or stone material, NOT some vinyl made to look like
brick.

It's not that clear exactly what he has. Non-structural brick that
covers a house is called "brick veneer". It is brick but doesn't hold
up the roof.

It's just that it's not free-standing, but instead attached to the house.
So you get the real brick without having to build a supporting foundation
for it.

That sounded like what he had, to me too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Oh look someone redefined his addy to try to avoid killfiles

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:44:28 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

wrote in message

Oh look someone redefined his addy to try to avoid killfiles

Another idiot who can't figure out how to make a killfile.

Just for the terminally stupid people he My new laptop has to go
back for repair. This is same NetBook I was using up until I got it a
couple of weeks ago. Now, armed with that information, perhaps you
can spend a couple of weeks to design a useful killfile. ...but
probably not. The morons are as thick a flies. ...and rocks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

Oh look someone redefined his addy to try to avoid killfiles

Another idiot who can't figure out how to make a killfile.

And what makes you imagine that you were not flagged by my filter ?
I like knowing what moron trolls like you are up to.

Rest of usual drivel ignored

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:55:16 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message

Oh look someone redefined his addy to try to avoid killfiles

Another idiot who can't figure out how to make a killfile.

And what makes you imagine that you were not flagged by my filter ?
I like knowing what moron trolls like you are up to.

Ah, so you admit to being a liar.

Rest of usual drivel ignored

Another lie, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-10-2012 21:06, Attila Iskander wrote:
I've heard of "brick veneer" aka "brick siding"
I believe it was mentioned a few years back on This Old House.
It's actually brick but only a fraction of an inch thick that you hang
just like other siding

It's what he's got and doesn't want.

I disagree
He has "fake brick"
This is actual brick and/or stone material, NOT some vinyl made to look like
brick.

I never heard of "vinyl made to look like brick" being used on walls.
But anything is possible.

It's not that clear exactly what he has. Non-structural brick that
covers a house is called "brick veneer". It is brick but doesn't hold
up the roof.

It's what I call it, too, but a lot of people call it fake brick.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fake+brick

It's just that it's not free-standing, but instead attached to the house.
So you get the real brick without having to build a supporting foundation
for it.

That sounded like what he had, to me too.

Technically, brick veneer is standard full thickness brick attatched
as siding to a lumber (stick) framed houe, or a concrete block or ICF
building for looks and protection that does not serve a structural
role. This is in contrast to a solid brick or double brick
construction.

What you guys are talking about is brick FACING - One major supplier
is Glen -Gery Brick. Then there is the synthetic brick facing - like
Flex-e-Brick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 10, 2012 4:50:27 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
leza wang wrote: thanks for the reply. i do not know how to measure it. it is small house but not very tiny. it is 1.5 stories, 2 bed rooms 2 small bathrooms. the veneer bricks are coming off, is some spots i can see the wood. i will try to take pictures and post them here. i want to replace them with something high quality that can last, that is why i thought about real bricks. it is fully detached house. thanks once again. I think if you are able to provide a couple of phots, that would probably help in terms of people giving suggestions etc. But, even without the photos, my guess is that the suggestions about changing to vinyl siding may turn out to be your best option -- and a lot less expensive than brick.

Thanks a lot for your reply TomR
Here are links to some pictures I took today (front and the side)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2vl8aj9.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/15s8tub.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/sykxnn.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/chumu.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/nleyqt.jpg

Thanks a lot for the suggesting about the vinyl siding. I am kind of relief now thinking there is another option rather than the brick because for some reason the brick idea scares me because it needs a lot of work and I am not sure if my house can handle that. Any feedback/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks once again

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:25:50 -0800 (PST), leza wang
wrote:

[...]

EEWW!!!
Nasty cheap-assed job somebody did on that one. The brick facing was
very poorly applied to the Aspenite sheathing. The window job doesn't
look too inspiring either - was there a fake stone sill glued in there
too???. It DEFINITELY needs some help!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posting the photos. I think that helps a lot.

It does look to me like the best, easiest, and probably least expensive
option would be to have the existing brick/brickface removed and install
vinyl siding. And, it looks like it is just the front of the house that
needs that, so the job shouldn't be too big or too expensive. My guess is
that some type of tan or light brown color vinyl siding will go with the
foundation brick colors, the wood siding color on the side of the house, and
the white railings. They should be able to trim in out around the window
and on the vertical corners of the house in a way that will look nice. It
also looks like that will go well with the house next door which appears to
have either vinyl or aluminum siding.

Good luck.

Maybe you could post some before and after pictures whenever you do get
around to doing whatever you decide to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 14, 2012 11:27:41 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
leza wang wrote:

[...]

Thanks TomR for you reply and help.
I was thinking to replace the wood siding as well. because when it rain the water go through the siding and end inside through the kitchen window. So i was thinking if I will change the front then I will change all sides as well (sides and the back). Do you think that is good idea?

Also I have another question if i may, which is better vinyl or aluminum siding? thanks a lot once again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

Good vinyl is better tha crappy aluminum - and good aluminum is
better than crappy vinyl. Any aluminum will be more expensive than any
vinyl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

aluminum costs a lot more, can dent if hit by say a ball, and
interferes with cell phone service inside your home. it acts like a
farady shield, a metal enclosure..

yeah do all the siding at the same time, it will look great. end
painting forever