Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
RF RF is offline

Default Cost of metal roofing

I'm getting bids for a new stone-coated steel roof, and I'm shocked at
the prices I've been quoted. Both the bids I've gotten are around
$15000 for a one-story house of about 1400 square feet. If anyone has
had a steel roof installed lately, particularly in southern California
(I'm in Orange County (Irvine)), I'd appreciate hearing what you paid.
Do roofing contractors sometimes give highball estimates, and require
you to bargain with them?

Thanks,
RF
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

On Sep 17, 10:50*am, RF wrote:
I'm getting bids for a new stone-coated steel roof, and I'm shocked at
the prices I've been quoted. Both the bids I've gotten are around
$15000 for a one-story house of about 1400 square feet. If anyone has
had a steel roof installed lately, particularly in southern California
(I'm in Orange County (Irvine)), I'd appreciate hearing what you paid.
Do roofing contractors sometimes give highball estimates, and require
you to bargain with them?

Thanks,
RF

I have heard that the cost of steel like other commodities has gone
way up. The Chinese have become a major user of steel.

I had a Gerard roof put on about seven years go. Still looks like
new. Mostly paid for by an insurance company, after my heavy shake
got wiped out by hail. Denver area (hail belt), I got a 27% discount
on my homeowners. It will undoubtly last the life of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
dpb dpb is offline

RF wrote:
I'm getting bids for a new stone-coated steel roof, and I'm shocked at
the prices I've been quoted. Both the bids I've gotten are around
$15000 for a one-story house of about 1400 square feet. If anyone has
had a steel roof installed lately, particularly in southern California
(I'm in Orange County (Irvine)), I'd appreciate hearing what you paid.
Do roofing contractors sometimes give highball estimates, and require
you to bargain with them?

Orange County is going to be high; that goes w/o saying...

What's the roof style, height, anything unusual like extra dormers or so
on...any all of those things are significant in pricing. What about
existing roofing, repair existing damage, etc., as well...

The way to get a better guesstimate for comparison rather than simply
total cost is what's the cost/square? Also, you could undoubtedly find
a retail price simply for the roofing itself as a starting point--it may
be more expensive than you think. On the other poster's note of steel
prices going up; it's true and all the other factors also apply--the
energy prices factor into the manufacturing and transportation on top of
the bulk material prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

On Sep 17, 8:24*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
RF wrote:
[...]

I priced a 32' x 14' patio cover, all steel by Fabral. *Didn't take the
price. *Went back three months later, and it was $300 more. *Took it that
time. *I'm almost finished with the project, working on it a few hours here
and there.

Why don't you locate the materials yourself and ask for a labor only price?
Please specify if the prices you are stating are turnkey, or labor only.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Do they have stone coated steel?

I don't think you can buy the material only from Gerard. And they
will be expensive:

http://www.gerardusa.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

"RF" wrote in message
I'm getting bids for a new stone-coated steel roof, and I'm shocked at
the prices I've been quoted. Both the bids I've gotten are around
$15000 for a one-story house of about 1400 square feet. If anyone has
had a steel roof installed lately, particularly in southern California
(I'm in Orange County (Irvine)), I'd appreciate hearing what you paid.
Do roofing contractors sometimes give highball estimates, and require
you to bargain with them?

Thanks,
RF

About 6 years ago I replaced my roof. Wife saw the ads for a steel roof and
she wanted to get a price. The salesman quoted $14000 for house only, no
garage. When I didn't bite, he said he'd give me a much better price if I
signed that night. He'd only tell me the price after I agreed. He left
quickly with my foot aiming towards his ass.

30 years shingles were $4200 including the garage. Besides, I'll never see
the end of the 50 year metal roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

RF wrote:
[...]

Yes. But my comment was to agree that steel prices are increasing every
day.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

"RF" wrote in message
I'm getting bids for a new stone-coated steel roof, and I'm shocked at
the prices I've been quoted. Both the bids I've gotten are around
$15000 for a one-story house of about 1400 square feet. If anyone has
had a steel roof installed lately, particularly in southern California
(I'm in Orange County (Irvine)), I'd appreciate hearing what you paid.
Do roofing contractors sometimes give highball estimates, and require
you to bargain with them?

Thanks,
RF

Would like to hear more about the long-term life of stone coated steel roof,
and application costs. I am familiar with the life of a common steel roof.
--
Dave

Half truth. Bailout. True, its to protect the economy.
The other half of the truth is its to protect investors.
What investors you may ask?
Investors overseas (China) that is relying on the American consumer. And
sure to lend the U.S. government any funds needed to protect its
investment. And sure to put our children and grandchildren deeper in debt.
Niether presidential candidate is making a comment on this obvious problem

Meanwhile, we see political fights over lipstick. Solutions as president
neither party can fulfill. Read function of the U.S. president. The ball
is in our court, not in the form of any election.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 03:47 AM
metal roofing cost & insulation questions Keith Home Repair 2 May 12th 06 03:59 PM
Cost of Re Roofing in Boston area very high mstrspy Home Repair 8 April 21st 06 05:29 AM
metal roofing jdk Home Repair 2 November 5th 04 01:22 AM
roofing cost in Massachusetts iexpl Home Ownership 4 March 27th 04 05:52 PM