Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default What's your favorite thin-wall anchor?

Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 11:43*am, DaveC wrote:
Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

A Molly Anchor. You can Google as easily as I can.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

DaveC wrote:
Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

Thanks,

A couple of nice looking 1x4s, suitably stained, jam-fit between the
floor and ceiling? Maybe dress it up with a knick-knack shelf above the
mirror?

But seriously- just like a real wall, you need to aim for whatever
passes for a stud in there. A mirror that small, if you don't care about
trashing the wall, you could probably glue a backer board to the wall
with construction adhesive, and mount the mirror to that.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
a a is offline

RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 31, 11:43 am, DaveC wrote:
Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

A Molly Anchor. You can Google as easily as I can.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...008/molly1.jpg

What, you just screw her to the wall and she holds it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 08:43:39 -0700, DaveC wrote:

Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

Thanks,

DAGS: "mobile home wall anchors"

Gets --- http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/thinwall.htm

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Dumb idea.......maybe not......
Thru bolt stainless1/4 " or less bolts/metal washer rubber washer outside
thru bolt/ to cleat or positive attachment for the mirror.....
Easy to take off......only heads of bolts will be seen......
jloomis
"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for
this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for
this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

Get a roll of Velcro with glue backing and cut it into long strips. Put
them in a oven at around 100 degrees for a few minutes. Apply to the wall
and to the mirror. Let cool and then mount the mirror. Be sure the surfaces
are clean before applying the Velcro.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Small toggle bolts is what I usually use for 3/8" sheetrock
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
Mobile homes (not RVs) have this pathetic, thin board stuff for walls. It
won't even hold a sheet metal screw.

There are so many anchors available for drywall, but which is best for
this
type of wall? (Trying to mount a 5-foot x 1.5-foot mirror using 6 plastic
edge-grips.)

Suggestions? (Extra points for URL to show an image of the type you're
referring to...)

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

I second the Molly anchors. I use them in my plastic shed to hold up plywood
which I use to mount hooks and shelves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A Molly Anchor. You can Google as easily as I can."

I'm not a fan of the Molly "system." The torque needed to "set" them often
exceeds the friction against the drywall board.

The very simple plastic sleeve works much/most of the time.

My favorite is the plastic anchor that has wings that pop out when you seat
the anchor via a 1/4" (nominal) diameter hole. The screw causes the anchor
to clamp the wall board against the fixture you are installing.

If the wall board was been damaged from a prior installation of an anchor,
the toggle bolt systems almost always work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I hung some shelves I popped off the paneling and put some propper
blocking in .That's the way you keep things from falling down.
Jr

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Small toggle bolts is what I usually use for 3/8" sheetrock

Mobile homes usually don't have 2" x 4" wall construction. You're lucky if
there is an inch of space in the wall. Not a lot of room for the butterfly
to open. That's why I suggested the Velcro.