Backyard "Platform"

Old August 30th 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backyard "Platform"

Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio or
deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would be easy
to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an outdoor "room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at intervals
directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with either rebar or
stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be leveled and with a
slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct the platform floor
across these boards also using 2"x6"x12' pressure-treated boards, attaching
them with either galvanized or stainless steel screws.

We live in the desert, so there's no concern about ground movement due to
winter heaving or damage from excessive moisture.

This would give us a 12' x 12' platform roughly 4" above the ground, where
we would place our grill and umbrella table and chairs.

Does this sound feasible?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.
Old August 30th 08, 12:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Feasible, but expensive. I'd go with large square (18"+) concrete pavers
with a minimal layer of sand for leveling. When you're through with them
they can simply be stacked in a corner, or sold on Craigslist or similar
since they will not degrade.
Old August 30th 08, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 04:36:07p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

The pavers are seldom over 2" thick and I really do want about 4" height to
avoid the feeling of "sitting right on the ground". The pavers also absorb
and radiate heat far more than wood, which is a *big* issue in our area
It's not a bad idea, for the very reasons you mentioned, but wouldn't
really give me what I want. I haven't priced anything out yet, so perhaps
that should be my first step.

Thanks for your input, Pete.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 19mins
Oxymoron: Final Version

Old August 30th 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
[...]

I'm not a big fan of doing things twice. You'll be spending money on wood
for something temporary. Is there anyway that you can build something that
you can use now that will eventually be incorporated into the finished yard?

Old August 30th 08, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Wood laid flat on the ground would be tough to secure, it seems. How
about landscape cloth with
large pavers and river rock on top. We have that as an "extension" of
our patio - patio has a balcony
above so we can't use the grill under the balcony. Have about 8" space
between pavers filled in
with the rock. Easy to move the grill if we need to and plenty
of flat area for chairs. The l.s. cloth and rock would be nice and tidy
under a deck when you get
around to it. Easy to clean with leaf blower, no other maint. Cheap.
Old August 30th 08, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 05:08:05p, John Grabowski told us...

[...]

What I want to end up with is an "Arizona Room", and this wood would not
be appropriate, plus we would have someone else build the room. Arizona
Rooms are generally built of aluminum, screening, glass, and steel, on a
concrete slab base. If I knew exactly what the future configuration of
the concrete base would be in the future, I could have it put in place
now,k but I really don't know at this point. However, the yard is large
enough that this platform unit could be moved to another location for a
2nd "patio" type structure. Our entire yard is desert-scaped; there is no
grass, only decomposed granite, sand and chunk granite. The landscaping
is all cactii and succulents. I don't think we'd lose out on this wood.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 5hrs 46mins
For people who like peace and quiet: a
phoneless cord.
Old August 30th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 05:21:54p, Norminn told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Nice idea, but I really want an uninterrupted flat surface that is elevated
about 4" off the ground.

Your idea would certainly be more attractive than mine, but mine would be
more functional for my needs.

When we laid railroad ties back in Ohio, we secured them into the ground
with rebar. Nothing ever moved. That was my plan with the boards that
would be in contact with the ground. Either rebar or stakes. Once
constructed, I donn't think it would have a chance of moving.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 5hrs 40mins
It doesn't work, but it looks pretty.

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

Hmm. Interesting question to balance work, cost, and temporariness.

4" isn't too much. Why couldn't you bring in a truckload of sand,
build it up to the right height, and compact it so it's flat, level,
and solid. Then put on a top coat of wood chips or mulch or something
to keep the sun off of it and to keep it from being a big heat sink.

I'd just taper the edges and not use anything around the sides. It
would last okay for a couple of years -- more with minor maintenance.

When you're done, just spread it around your yard or whatever.

You could do the whole think in topsoil, too, but it would cost more.
Sand is cheap.
Old August 30th 08, 03:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Having spent some time barefoot on a raised wooden deck (grayed PT) as
well as normal gray-white concrete in Houston recently when it was 110
out, I can assure you there isn't much difference in heat absorption and
radiation.

If you want the height, Lay a perimeter ring of the pavers, then fill
inside with the leveling sand tamped and leveled, and then place the
top layer. You get your 4" height, using only a few more pavers and a
little more sand.

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

Hmm. Interesting question to balance work, cost, and temporariness.

4" isn't too much. Why couldn't you bring in a truckload of sand,
build it up to the right height, and compact it so it's flat, level,
and solid. Then put on a top coat of wood chips or mulch or something
to keep the sun off of it and to keep it from being a big heat sink.

I'd just taper the edges and not use anything around the sides. It
would last okay for a couple of years -- more with minor maintenance.

When you're done, just spread it around your yard or whatever.

You could do the whole think in topsoil, too, but it would cost more.
Sand is cheap.

A wood chip or mulch top surface would defeat my purpose. I need to be
able easily move chairs with casters and a portable gas grill across the
surface. The grill would probably be alright, but people sitting in chairs
and trying to move them would probably mire down into the surface. Plus, I
don't find the idea of sitting in the midst of wood chips or mulch very
inviting. :-)

I could probably re-use this unit in another area of the yard when our
plans change the the initial area.

Your idea is good and interesting, but probably better for a different
application than mine.

Thanks...

--
Wayne Boatwright