Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backyard "Platform"

Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio or
deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would be easy
to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an outdoor "room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at intervals
directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with either rebar or
stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be leveled and with a
slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct the platform floor
across these boards also using 2"x6"x12' pressure-treated boards, attaching
them with either galvanized or stainless steel screws.

We live in the desert, so there's no concern about ground movement due to
winter heaving or damage from excessive moisture.

This would give us a 12' x 12' platform roughly 4" above the ground, where
we would place our grill and umbrella table and chairs.

Does this sound feasible?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Feasible, but expensive. I'd go with large square (18"+) concrete pavers
with a minimal layer of sand for leveling. When you're through with them
they can simply be stacked in a corner, or sold on Craigslist or similar
since they will not degrade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 04:36:07p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

The pavers are seldom over 2" thick and I really do want about 4" height to
avoid the feeling of "sitting right on the ground". The pavers also absorb
and radiate heat far more than wood, which is a *big* issue in our area
It's not a bad idea, for the very reasons you mentioned, but wouldn't
really give me what I want. I haven't priced anything out yet, so perhaps
that should be my first step.

Thanks for your input, Pete.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 19mins
Oxymoron: Final Version

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
[...]

I'm not a big fan of doing things twice. You'll be spending money on wood
for something temporary. Is there anyway that you can build something that
you can use now that will eventually be incorporated into the finished yard?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Wood laid flat on the ground would be tough to secure, it seems. How
about landscape cloth with
large pavers and river rock on top. We have that as an "extension" of
our patio - patio has a balcony
above so we can't use the grill under the balcony. Have about 8" space
between pavers filled in
with the rock. Easy to move the grill if we need to and plenty
of flat area for chairs. The l.s. cloth and rock would be nice and tidy
under a deck when you get
around to it. Easy to clean with leaf blower, no other maint. Cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 05:08:05p, John Grabowski told us...

[...]

What I want to end up with is an "Arizona Room", and this wood would not
be appropriate, plus we would have someone else build the room. Arizona
Rooms are generally built of aluminum, screening, glass, and steel, on a
concrete slab base. If I knew exactly what the future configuration of
the concrete base would be in the future, I could have it put in place
now,k but I really don't know at this point. However, the yard is large
enough that this platform unit could be moved to another location for a
2nd "patio" type structure. Our entire yard is desert-scaped; there is no
grass, only decomposed granite, sand and chunk granite. The landscaping
is all cactii and succulents. I don't think we'd lose out on this wood.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 5hrs 46mins
For people who like peace and quiet: a
phoneless cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 05:21:54p, Norminn told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Nice idea, but I really want an uninterrupted flat surface that is elevated
about 4" off the ground.

Your idea would certainly be more attractive than mine, but mine would be
more functional for my needs.

When we laid railroad ties back in Ohio, we secured them into the ground
with rebar. Nothing ever moved. That was my plan with the boards that
would be in contact with the ground. Either rebar or stakes. Once
constructed, I donn't think it would have a chance of moving.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 5hrs 40mins
It doesn't work, but it looks pretty.

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

Hmm. Interesting question to balance work, cost, and temporariness.

4" isn't too much. Why couldn't you bring in a truckload of sand,
build it up to the right height, and compact it so it's flat, level,
and solid. Then put on a top coat of wood chips or mulch or something
to keep the sun off of it and to keep it from being a big heat sink.

I'd just taper the edges and not use anything around the sides. It
would last okay for a couple of years -- more with minor maintenance.

When you're done, just spread it around your yard or whatever.

You could do the whole think in topsoil, too, but it would cost more.
Sand is cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Having spent some time barefoot on a raised wooden deck (grayed PT) as
well as normal gray-white concrete in Houston recently when it was 110
out, I can assure you there isn't much difference in heat absorption and
radiation.

If you want the height, Lay a perimeter ring of the pavers, then fill
inside with the leveling sand tamped and leveled, and then place the
top layer. You get your 4" height, using only a few more pavers and a
little more sand.

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

Hmm. Interesting question to balance work, cost, and temporariness.

4" isn't too much. Why couldn't you bring in a truckload of sand,
build it up to the right height, and compact it so it's flat, level,
and solid. Then put on a top coat of wood chips or mulch or something
to keep the sun off of it and to keep it from being a big heat sink.

I'd just taper the edges and not use anything around the sides. It
would last okay for a couple of years -- more with minor maintenance.

When you're done, just spread it around your yard or whatever.

You could do the whole think in topsoil, too, but it would cost more.
Sand is cheap.

A wood chip or mulch top surface would defeat my purpose. I need to be
able easily move chairs with casters and a portable gas grill across the
surface. The grill would probably be alright, but people sitting in chairs
and trying to move them would probably mire down into the surface. Plus, I
don't find the idea of sitting in the midst of wood chips or mulch very
inviting. :-)

I could probably re-use this unit in another area of the yard when our
plans change the the initial area.

Your idea is good and interesting, but probably better for a different
application than mine.

Thanks...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 4hrs 43mins
'Twas Brillig, and the slithey toves
did gyre and gimble in the wabe; all
mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

You can look at those rooms now, see what the largest size you'd want
is, and then pour a pad a bit larger. In the future excess concrete can
be readily cut off with an appropriate saw, or you can fill the extra
space with some planters and foliage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Wayne,

It certainly sounds like a waste of energy! By your replies to other
posters, you appear to be looking for support on your idea, and not really
open to other ideas.

However, I will tell you what I would do. And, being you formally lived in
Ohio, what many in Ohio do.

Either have the concrete placed now....... OR
Construct a permanent deck. Build it level, with no pitch. Say for
instance, your proposed room would be a 10x12. I would build the deck as a
16x 20 (just an example). Positioning the deck, so it would be offset, not
centered to the proposed room. This would leave me a deck on 2 sides of my
room, after the room was built. It would be enough room to set your grill,
a couple of chairs etc, on the outside of the room. Treated CDX Ply or
similar could be used for the inside of the room once the room is built, or
the layout could call for the CDX to be installed to room size, then the
room built on it. Your initial layout would be critical so you don't build
your deck to high initially.

Those aluminum/glass rooms can be built to any size. Either way, wood or
concrete base, I would definitely have a much larger base for my grill etc.
Otherwise, it certainly will look silly with a grill sitting in the sand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 07:21:23p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

I'll be sure to give this some more thought before making a decision.
Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 3hrs 54mins
Is it possible to be in love with a
tongue. . . ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 07:23:58p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

One other factor at present is that concrete work is very costly right now
in the Phoenix area. This was one thing I was trying to avoid. Still it's
worth getting estimates. I would not be able to do the work myself, and I
want a perfect concrete surface when it is done.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 3hrs 52mins
Don't draw fire. It irritates everyone
around you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 07:33:35p, Toffee Monday told us...

[...]

This is the best alternative I've heard yet, and I'm open to it if I can
afford it. The configuration is actually one I had already thought of for
the future room. Someone else would probably hve to executde it, though,
as I don't have all the equipment it might need.

For several reasons, though, I don't know if I could handle the work
myself, due to age and heath issues. I could envision the relative
simplicity of my original idea, with all boards precut and just screwed
together.

Still, it's worth looking into having someone put the initial deck up and
get estimates for it.

Thanks for your ideas...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 3hrs 49mins
We are everywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn told us...

How about landscape cloth with large pavers and river rock on top.

How about large pavers on 8"x8"x16" hollow block piers with vertical holes?

Make your own 4'x4' 100 lb glass-fiber concrete pavers averaging 1/2" thick
with welded wire fence reinforcement and bumps below the corners that rest
in pier holes on 4' centers?

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
JP JP is offline

On Aug 29, 4:32*pm, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
[...]

If it was me doing this job,I would use four 12' = 4x4's for the
base & nail my 2x6's to them.
Then when your base settles into the sand ( which it will) you will
still be at least 2" off the ground.
Put it togeather with deck screws than you cake it apart.

Get out there ,build it & enjoy
* * * *
JP

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 30 Aug 2008 07:47:55a, JP told us...

wrote:
Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio

deck. *I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would be

easy
to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an outdoor

"room
".

[...]

Thanks, JP... This was the type of advice I was looking for! I'll
probably do it your way!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1dys 15hrs 21mins
Can't? Can't? There's no such word as
can't!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 30 Aug 2008 07:16:50a, told us...

Norminn told us...

How about landscape cloth with large pavers and river rock on top.

How about large pavers on 8"x8"x16" hollow block piers with vertical

holes?

Make your own 4'x4' 100 lb glass-fiber concrete pavers averaging 1/2"

thick
with welded wire fence reinforcement and bumps below the corners that

rest
in pier holes on 4' centers?

Nick

A lot more heavy work for me and I really don't want concrete. But thanks
for the suggestion.

I think JP's post hit the nail on the head, so to speak. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1dys 15hrs 20mins
I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy
me, send money.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:32:23 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Our relatively new yard is in transition and we currently have no patio or
deck. I would like to assemble something semi-permanent that would be easy
to do, as well as easy to disassemble when we upgrade to an outdoor "room".

My idea was to use 2"x6"x12' pressure treated lumber laid flat at intervals
directly on the ground and anchor them to the soil with either rebar or
stakes to prevent movement. These boards would be leveled and with a
slight pitch for any water runoff. Then construct the platform floor
across these boards also using 2"x6"x12' pressure-treated boards, attaching
them with either galvanized or stainless steel screws.

What about using those DekBlock concrete piers? We used those for our
deck, and they worked great. You could do your wood frame floor very
easily on these, with 2x6 joists and 5/4 planks. Ours has held up
very well after 5 years in western New York and no doubt would do just
fine in Arizona.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 30 Aug 2008 10:31:15a, KLS told us...

wrote:

[...]

A good idea to consider. I'll look into it. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1dys 13hrs 22mins
I'm an absolute, off-the-wall
fanatical moderate.

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

It's just 4", so why not just go "acquire" some discared pallets. Lay
then down to cover the ground. Cover them with exterior plywood or
any other surface you like. Paint or use indoor/outdoor carpet. Very
cheap except for the plywood.

It's temporary and dry, so it's work for a couple of years. If you
look around, you might be able the scrounge up a free surface, too,
instead of buying plywood. Get the right pallets and you might not
even need a surface over them. Plus, it's way cool as "green" because
it's "reuse".

Date: Friday, 08(VIII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
2dys 7hrs 39mins
Progress at best consists of replacing
errors with more subtle errors.

It's just 4", so why not just go "acquire" some discared pallets. Lay
then down to cover the ground. Cover them with exterior plywood or
any other surface you like. Paint or use indoor/outdoor carpet. Very
cheap except for the plywood.

It's temporary and dry, so it's work for a couple of years. If you
look around, you might be able the scrounge up a free surface, too,
instead of buying plywood. Get the right pallets and you might not
even need a surface over them. Plus, it's way cool as "green" because
it's "reuse".

That sounds like an excellent idea, Pat. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1dys 7hrs 18mins
Tactics: breathmints for dyslexics

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
1dys 7hrs 18mins
Tactics: breathmints for dyslexics

Two other thoughts:

First off, go buy one of the really nice gazebos you see people
selling. It'll cost a few bucks, but what the heck. Then, when (if)
you get around to building the new roof, you can resell it. That'll
make it relatively inexpensive, in the long run.

Plus, as a nice gazebo, with romantic lighting, a sound system, and
maybe a (relocatable spa !!!), you'll be the thoughtful husband and
maybe you'll need that privacy screen. Okay, stop fantasizing, but
it'll at least keep you out of the dog house for a week or two.

The other option to is build a 12 x 12, square, plain sort-of-gazebo
with a regular gable-end roof that your family hates. That'll
encourage them to get going on the real project. Then you push this
structure over to the corner of your land, enclose the sizes, and you
have workshop when you can go and get away from the family.

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
[...]

Pat, these are great ideas! Unfortunately, none are practical for me
financially at this point. Also, there are just the two us of, both in our
60's, so I need to minimize the effort we have to expend. I do plan to use
your earlier suggesting of the 4x4's for the base and secure the floor
surface to those.

I love the idea of the gazebo, but with the high winds we get here, it
would have to be built very substantially and very securely anchored. When
we lived in OH, we had a beautiful redwood gazebo large enough to more than
amply house our Jacuzzi. It could also be completely shuttered for
privacy. We really enjoyed that. Perhaps we'll do a spa again someday,
but right now the bucks just aren't there and there are other priorities.

Thanks for your thoughfulness.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
15hrs 27mins
Adding manpower to a late software
project only makes it later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

The most difficult part of this job is going to be leveling the dirt.
You didn't make any mention of it, so maybe you hadn't considered it. It
could be one monumental PIA.

Once you get beyond that, the rest sounds pretty straight forward. I
wouldn't think that securing it to the ground would be necessary,
though, unless maybe you're in tornado or hurricane territory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 01 Sep 2008 09:16:38p, Smitty Two told us...

In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

I wasn't concerned about it, as it shouldn't be that hard. Our ground is
mostly compacted granite and sand, and fairly easy to move in order to
level the bottom boards.

Once you get beyond that, the rest sounds pretty straight forward. I
wouldn't think that securing it to the ground would be necessary,
though, unless maybe you're in tornado or hurricane territory.

I wasn't concerned it would blow away, but I was concerned with possible
shifting. Maybe it won't be necessary.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)