Posted to alt.home.repair

Default liability for someone helping with installing a wood floor

I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

Thanks
-Ben

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benjamin wrote:
I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

Thanks
-Ben

Hey Ben,

I would just call my insurance agent and ask, but thats me..

Clark...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Benjamin" wrote in message
I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

Thanks
-Ben

In most States an independent contractor can legally claim to be self
insured and/or waive in writing any claims that might occur. As long as he
does not bring a helper you will be fine in most States. The People's
Republic states most likely play with a different set of rules.

The liability portion of you homeowners may cover you IF you have the
written waiver and it is legal where you are.

If this is a major concern to you please do not rely on the advice in this
thread. Consult your local insurance agent or an attorney for the law as it
applies where you are located.

Colby

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benjamin wrote:
I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

No contract can waive liability or negligence in advance. Well, the contract
CAN, but the courts won't enforce it.

You can minimize your risks by doing all the laminate floor ladder-work
yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benjamin wrote:

I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

You need to get a statement directly from his insurance agent proving
that he has the required business insurance. Don't be shy about asking
for this. All legitimate contractors are used to supplying it. If I
need one, I give the client my agent's card and tell them to call. My
agent sends them the statement.

If he has no business insurance, then don't hire him. If he gets hurt,
he can sue you. If he gets hurt badly, he can get your whole net worth.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Benjamin" wrote in message
I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

Thanks
-Ben

I think the key here is he is going to be helping you so he will be your
employee. You will be liable. To protect yourself talk to your insurance
agent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benjamin wrote:
I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Is this a paid contractor or a friend? If it is a contractor, he should be
insured. If it is a friend, he will probably tell you to go F yourself and
walk out when you hand him the waiver.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Benjamin wrote:
I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

No contract can waive liability or negligence in advance. Well, the
contract CAN, but the courts won't enforce it.

You can minimize your risks by doing all the laminate floor ladder-work
yourself.

That used to be true but today, if the waiver is bold and clear enuf some
courts might enforce it.

For example, if you have AT&T phone service, they are for the most part not
being regulated any more at least in NC. Go read the new agreement see what
you have waived by doing business with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I work in property management in So Cal.
Because we are a bussiness this may not be of help to you.
If a vendor has no proof of WC (Worker's Comp) insurance, our company pays
the vendor 6% less and pays the WC in case they get injured.
I'm at the job site so I don't know how it is done in the front office.
The person can also work through someone elses license/insurance someone
they know.
That contractor will bill you and you'll pay a little more.
Good luck
Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 10:28*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
Is this a paid contractor or a friend? *If it is a contractor, he should be
insured. If it is a friend, he will probably tell you to go F yourself and
walk out when you hand him the waiver.

It's "a guy" we found online through craigslist. He's not insured
(other than his personal insurance), but he would be doing most of the
work himself. So I see him as a contractor, rather than employee.

Regardless, I will check with my insurance company.

Thanks for the comments.