Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank

Hi. I hope this is the right group to post this question. I have a
weed whacker/trimmer and the fuel line goes from the carb into the
fuel tank via a hole in the fuel tank (instead of there being a
connector on the fuel tank). Original fuel line was OK in that it was
thick and filled the hole pretty well. I had a replace the fuel line
and while the new line appeared to be the same outer diameter of the
original fuel line, fuel is managing to leak out of the tank from the
hole through which the fuel line enters. I guess I could try to find
thicker fuel line; but the stuff I just installed was difficult enough
to get through the hole. My question is does anyone know of a good
way to seal the apparent gap (not easily visible other than of course
the fuel leaking out) between the fuel line and the tank? I tried
silicone; but that does not appear to be fuel/oil-resistant (trimmer
is 2-cycle).

Thanks.
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 1:30*pm, k-man wrote:
[...]

A good mower shop should have the correct fuel line, I have to go to
the next town south for mine,
but none of the big box store stuff works. I've tried just about
everything to seal the leak from a too small hose, and haven't yet
found anything that works..
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"k-man" wrote in message
[...]

Try some epoxy-I fixed a leaky mower fuel tank with some.
MLD
Thanks.
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MLD wrote:
... My question is does anyone know of a good
way to seal the apparent gap (not easily visible other than of course
the fuel leaking out) between the fuel line and the tank? I tried
silicone; but that does not appear to be fuel/oil-resistant (trimmer
is 2-cycle).

Try some epoxy-I fixed a leaky mower fuel tank with some.

At the possible expense of making a future replacement nearly impossible.

I'm w/ the other poster who recommended getting the proper fuel line
from the OEM.

Alternatively, depending on the style/shape of tank, etc., could
possibly find and install a bulkhead connector so could have the
external fitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Aug 14, 4:27*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
get the proper tygon hose and you will not have a leak. *It's the
transparent yellow looking hose available at the small engine shops.

Agree. The trick to getting it through the hole 'easily' is to cut
the end at a narrow "v" about 3/8" or more. Poke the end through the
hole as far as it will go, go in through the fuel cap hole with a pair
of forceps or long nose pliers, grasp the fuel line, and pull it
through as much as you need. It pulls a lot easier than trying to
push it.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

wrote:
get the proper tygon hose and you will not have a leak. *It's the
transparent yellow looking hose available at the small engine shops.

Agree. The trick to getting it through the hole 'easily' is to cut
the end at a narrow "v" about 3/8" or more. Poke the end through the
hole as far as it will go, go in through the fuel cap hole with a pair
of forceps or long nose pliers, grasp the fuel line, and pull it
through as much as you need. It pulls a lot easier than trying to
push it.

I cut the end in a LONG diagonal, maybe 2". Real EZ to feed thru the
hole and pull, costs little.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 8:09*am, nick hull wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
get the proper tygon hose and you will not have a leak. *It's the
transparent yellow looking hose available at the small engine shops.

*Agree. *The trick to getting it through the hole 'easily' is to cut
the end at a narrow "v" about 3/8" or more. *Poke the end through the
hole as far as it will go, go in through the fuel cap hole with a pair
of forceps or long nose pliers, grasp the fuel line, and pull it
through as much as you need. *It pulls a lot easier than trying to
push it.

I cut the end in a LONG diagonal, maybe 2". *Real EZ to feed thru the
hole and pull, costs little.

Thank you all. Sounds like replacing using the right fuel line is the
way to go.

Thanks.
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
get the proper tygon hose and you will not have a leak. *It's the
transparent yellow looking hose available at the small engine shops..

*Agree. *The trick to getting it through the hole 'easily' is to cut
the end at a narrow "v" about 3/8" or more. *Poke the end through the
hole as far as it will go, go in through the fuel cap hole with a pair
of forceps or long nose pliers, grasp the fuel line, and pull it
through as much as you need. *It pulls a lot easier than trying to
push it.

I cut the end in a LONG diagonal, maybe 2". *Real EZ to feed thru the
hole and pull, costs little.

Thank you all. *Sounds like replacing using the right fuel line is the
way to go.

Thanks.
Kevin

Wound up getting some fuel line from a small engine parts shop via
mail order. The line was "black" and described to fit the
Homelite's. Nice quality line; but it was just slightly too thick.
Couldn't push it through at all. Did the long, diagonal cut but the
line simply kept on stretching if I tried to pull it through. I wound
up drilling out the tank holes slightly and that did the trick. Took
several minutes to push the return line in and to push the intake line
through the tank far enough so that I could reach the end to put the
fuel filter on it! Took a while but ideally the fix is DONE and
should stay done for a long while. Trimmer works great now.

Thanks again for the tips.

Kevin

diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? [email protected] Home Repair 45 November 24th 19 02:46 AM
diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? lp13-30 Home Repair 20 December 23rd 17 06:52 AM
fuel oil leak/smell Joe Home Repair 7 April 21st 07 12:26 AM
fuel oil tank terri Home Repair 18 January 28th 07 04:10 AM
Fuel bowl leak Jim Home Repair 5 May 20th 05 01:23 AM