bolting toilet tank to toilet bow

Old August 5th 08, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default bolting toilet tank to toilet bow

Seemed simple when my friend started, but get conflicting instructions
on how to bolt the toilet tank to toilet bowl.

http://www.sandiego-plumbers.com/inf...oilet_tank.htm says
to put a bolt with only a rubber washer on it through the tank and
below the bowl flange use washers and nuts. That doesn't seem right.

The instructions on the Kenny brand Plumb-Pak, which contained only
bolts, washers, and nuts for this purpose says to put first a metal
washer, then a rubber washer on the bolt, put the bolt through the
tank and use the included hex nut underneath the tank. Then below the
toilet bowl flange, the included rubber washer, the metal one, and the
wingnut. This means tightening the hex nut directly against the
ceramic tank, which sounds like a bad idea to me.

So together, my friend and I found two more rubber washers and two
more metal ones and put them under the nuts directly below the tank
(and above the bowl) and did the rest the way the Plumb-Pak-age said.

What do y'all think?

Old August 5th 08, 11:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

The instructions on the Kenny brand Plumb-Pak, which contained only
bolts, washers, and nuts for this purpose says to put first a metal
washer, then a rubber washer on the bolt, put the bolt through the
tank and use the included hex nut underneath the tank. Then below the
toilet bowl flange, the included rubber washer, the metal one, and the
wingnut. This means tightening the hex nut directly against the
ceramic tank, which sounds like a bad idea to me.

I did it just like that 3 years ago, no problems.

Jerry
Old August 5th 08, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Based on years of experience I recommend you do it this way (1st paragraph)

http://househomerepair.com/Bathrooms...let-Part-2.php

Makes a secure leak proof and removable seal. The next time you have to
pull the tank you will enjoy the benefit of the extra effort.

Colbyt

Old August 6th 08, 12:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:46:35 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Great! I'm gald to hear this. That's what we did, the first
paragraph.

Thanks to you, and thanks to Jerry, too.
Old August 6th 08, 05:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in
news

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Let's see. I've found tank bolts covered with silicone, hot melt glue and
roofing cement.