Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does every clothes dryer get hot inside.

Is tumbling hard on clothes? Not human tumbling wearing clothes, but
tumbling in the dryer. Especially shirts.

Is excessive tumbling hard on clothes?

Does it always get hot inside the dryer when you have the temp set for
warm or hot air, not plain air?

Where I'm staying, the little dryer has only two temperaturs,
controlled by a push button and represented by a full sun and half-set
sun.

The first time I did my laundry, I was afraid half a sun would be too
hot and it would damage my shirts, or even the elastic in my
underwear. At home, I have 4 or 5 temperatures plus "air' and I use
the lowest that isn't air, and it still seems hot inside the dryer,
when I reach in for clothes. I usually don't let the dryer dry the
clothes completely, because once my shirts looked bad when I did that,
iirc. I also don't remember if it had a permanent bad effect on the
shirts or not (I don't iron anymore so they have to look nearly
decent when they dry.)

So that's why I was afraid to use half-a-sun, and I dried all my
clothes on the line. (They have a very nice system in this n'hood.
About 6 lines 2 inche apart from each other, about a yard long, and
all of it hidden by a stone wall with the stones arranged so there are
holes. (Unlike some n'hoods where you can see the whole family's
clothes all over the back balcony or even iirc from the window.)

The clothes dried fine on the line but the next time I was in a hurry.
I tried both positions, and it never got hot inside the dryer. Not the
slightest. And my clothes didn't seem to dry. So I took them all
out and spread them over the back seat of the car, then went away for
a couple days.

They dried fine on the back seat, but when I asked about this, my
landlady said it takes 40 minutes. So the next time I let the clothes
dry for 35 minutes. For some reason I had to stop then. They were
still "humid", cool to the touch. No water seeping out, but I doubt
they was water seeping out when I took 'em out of the washer. (I'll
pay more attention next time.) IIRC, my sta-press shirts can dry in
half that time at home. I let the clothes dry on the bed this time.
Same thing the next time.

But I wonder if 40 or 50 minutes or 2 hours of tumbling will have a
greater wear factor on the shirts than 20 minutes, or haning on the
line. ???

FWIW, the dryer goes one direction for a couple minutes, pauses for 5
or 10 seconds and then reverses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2017 1:56 PM, Micky wrote:
Is tumbling hard on clothes? Not human tumbling wearing clothes, but
tumbling in the dryer. Especially shirts.

Is excessive tumbling hard on clothes?

Does it always get hot inside the dryer when you have the temp set for
warm or hot air, not plain air?

Yes, except for "air dry" it gets warm. Dries faster that way. Never
noticed any excessive wear from drying.

The clothes dried fine on the line but the next time I was in a hurry.
I tried both positions, and it never got hot inside the dryer. Not the
slightest. And my clothes didn't seem to dry. So I took them all
out and spread them over the back seat of the car, then went away for
a couple days.

Have not used a line for years. Bird crap, pollen, cold in the winter.
They come out softer from the dryer anyway and less labor. Never tried
the back set of my car though.

FWIW, the dryer goes one direction for a couple minutes, pauses for 5
or 10 seconds and then reverses.

Never saw tht happen but European design may be different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:42:35 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:56:09 +0300, Micky wrote:

Snip

But I wonder if 40 or 50 minutes or 2 hours of tumbling will have a
greater wear factor on the shirts than 20 minutes, or haning on the
line. ???

FWIW, the dryer goes one direction for a couple minutes, pauses for 5
or 10 seconds and then reverses.

Are you serious??

Washers do that. I didn't remember dryers doing that but maybe I just didn't pay attention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In TimR writes:

line. ???

FWIW, the dryer goes one direction for a couple minutes, pauses for 5
or 10 seconds and then reverses.

Are you serious??

Washers do that. I didn't remember dryers doing that but maybe I just didn't pay attention.

Some do that after the drying sequence is over to
keep the clothes from "settling", so to speak,
and develop wrinkles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW, the dryer goes one direction for a couple minutes, pauses for 5
or 10 seconds and then reverses.

Washers do that. I didn't remember dryers doing that but maybe I just didn't pay attention.

Some do that after the drying sequence is over to
keep the clothes from "settling", so to speak,
and develop wrinkles.

Yep. Plus it does it on air-only - no heat.
Delicate/Permanent Press cycles always have an
extra cool-down at the end for 5+ minutes.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Good lord. I thought I'd heard it all!!!!!
But it IS Mikey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:09:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/20/2017 1:56 PM, Micky wrote:
Is tumbling hard on clothes? Not human tumbling wearing clothes, but
tumbling in the dryer. Especially shirts.

Is excessive tumbling hard on clothes?

Does it always get hot inside the dryer when you have the temp set for
warm or hot air, not plain air?

Yes, except for "air dry" it gets warm. Dries faster that way.

Yeah, it's like my dryer having 5 temperature settings, all of them
air and all the same temp.

I think her dryer is broken, but given that it sits on the washer and
even if I got it down there's no room to move it around and I might
not get it back up, and the other problems, I'm not goiung to offer to
fix it.

The question is whether to tell her its broken.

Never
noticed any excessive wear from drying.

The clothes dried fine on the line but the next time I was in a hurry.
I tried both positions, and it never got hot inside the dryer. Not the
slightest. And my clothes didn't seem to dry. So I took them all
out and spread them over the back seat of the car, then went away for
a couple days.

Have not used a line for years.

Me neither, until this time. But I have used the shwoer bar when the
dryer was broken. The clothes do seem stifffer at first but later it
seems the same.

Bird crap, pollen, cold in the winter.
They come out softer from the dryer anyway and less labor. Never tried
the back set of my car though.

Here the winters are mild, the roof of the building covers it, and
it's clsoe to the dryer.

FWIW, the dryer goes one direction for a couple minutes, pauses for 5
or 10 seconds and then reverses.

Never saw tht happen but European design may be different.

This is why it's supposed to be drying. I think when the time is up,
it just stops. My own dryer only goes in one direction but it spins
for about 10 seconds every 5 or 10 minutes, about 10 times, to keep
the clothes from getting wrinkled.

Her washer also took about an hour iirc, even though I chose the
shortest wash time, 20 minutes. Mine takes 45 though that's partly
because when it's sitting there doing nothing, I advance it a notch,
and it does the next thing.. Hers was so un-obvious even after her
explanation I dl'd the manual, partly to be learn what those strange
symbols mean** and even that was confusing, something about pre-wash.

**It had one line over the water for something, two lines for
something else, a 3rd kind of water for something else. Why can't
they just make eveyone learn English.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/20/2017 01:56 PM, Micky wrote:
Is tumbling hard on clothes? Not human tumbling wearing clothes, but
tumbling in the dryer. Especially shirts.

Hint: The answer to your question is found on your dryer's lint screen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 1:56:18 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

But I wonder if 40 or 50 minutes or 2 hours of tumbling will have a
greater wear factor on the shirts than 20 minutes, or haning on the
line. ???

Try this experiment:

1 - Sit in a chair for 6 hours.
2 - Roll down a hill for 20 minutes
3 - Roll down a hill for 40 or 50 minutes
4 - Roll down a hill for 2 hours

Which one of those steps wore you out more?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Follow-up.

Well, I let the dryer run more than 20 minutes this time, or maybe it
was that I was faster getting my hand inside, but it was indeed
slightly warm inside. The wash-and-wear shirts and the cotton
underwear were still slightly wet after 40 minutes so I let them dry
on the bed.

40 minutes seems like an awful lot for the shirts, but maybe they were
kept wet by the underwear. Usually I take the shirts out early when
they are barely wet, and I think they don't get wrinkles that way, and
I don't pay much attention to how long the cotton stuff takes to dry.
My dryer measures how damp the clothes are and stops when they are as
dry as the setting. When I get home, I'm measure how t hat time
compares with 40 minutes.

I still think it's not good that this electric dryer has only 2 heat
settings, barely warm and the other one, which I tried for a little
while and which didn't seem hot either. .

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky
Fri, 05 May 2017
07:55:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Follow-up.

Well, I let the dryer run more than 20 minutes this time, or maybe
it was that I was faster getting my hand inside, but it was indeed
slightly warm inside. The wash-and-wear shirts and the cotton
underwear were still slightly wet after 40 minutes so I let them
dry on the bed.

Your dryer should be making a considerable amount of heat within 20
minutes, dude. It doesn't take that long for the 240 volt element to
heat up...Providing it's not bad AND is getting power for more than a
couple of minutes at a time.

I still think it's not good that this electric dryer has only 2
heat settings, barely warm and the other one, which I tried for a
little while and which didn't seem hot either. .

OHHH... You've got a faulty humidity sensor and/or bad logic board on
the dryer. Your heating element isn't running for any length of time,
because your dryer seems to think everything is getting nice and dry.
and, once the element is powered down, it doesn't take long at all!
to remove the hot air it did generate.

What is the make/model of your dryer? I might be able to bring up
some schematics on it and point you in the right direction for
further troubleshooting and repair. I do need to know it's make/model
in order to do that, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 May 2017 10:55:21 +0300, Micky wrote:

MANY driers do not turn on heat if the timer is set for less than 20
minutes.
In North America SOME driers have 2 heaters, one on each side of the
240 volt supply to neutral. Most don't. In europe they won't. On ones
that do, low heat is one element, high heat is 2 - and burning one out
means only low is available on high, and depending which one burns
out, low may not work.
On ones that do not turn on the heat for less than 20 minutes (or
whatever threshold the designers used) the heat shuts off that long
before the system shuts off - so you set the drier for 30 minutes on a
machine with a 20 minute shutdown and it heats for 10 minutes and then
tumbles without heat for 10. This helps prevent wrinkles. On SOME
driers I believe this is only part of the "perma press" cycle.

The "cooldown" time may be significantly different from brand to brand
or model to model - and perhaps even between "cycles" or settings on
the same machine.
I would say try it on the hottest setting and see what happens. Put,
sy, underwear in on hot for 40 minutes and open the door at 25 or 30
to check temperature.