Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Flooring

I just made my first foray into laying vinyl flooring and wasn't
successfull getting a seam to line up. This a patch job of a
2' x 3' section where rotted floor boards were replaced, and the gap
is maybe 1/16" in places. My mistake was probably cutting a hole for
the dryer vent pipe after cutting the seam which caused the seam to
be slightly off. Fortunately, this is in the laundry room and mostly
will be covered by a sink and washing machine. But the seam in
question will be somewhat exposed. Is there anything I can fill
into the gap? Am I right that the seam sealer won't do any good
where the vinyl isn't touching together? Do I really need to worry
about this?

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

"pakdog" wrote

I just made my first foray into laying vinyl flooring and wasn't
successfull getting a seam to line up. This a patch job of a
2' x 3' section where rotted floor boards were replaced, and the gap
is maybe 1/16" in places. My mistake was probably cutting a hole for
the dryer vent pipe after cutting the seam which caused the seam to
be slightly off. Fortunately, this is in the laundry room and mostly
will be covered by a sink and washing machine. But the seam in

Hi Kevin! Good place to practice on!

I'm interested in the answers from others but incase there arent any ideas,
I'd look at colored acrylic 'caulk' that matches the vinyl as close as you
can. Be sure it's tightly laid to the flooring all along the edges then
fill the gap, smoothing with the back of a spoon and wiping with a damp
towel as you go. Let dry completely before anyone steps on it. If the
flooring and caulk are dark, it should work well enough for a laundry room?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:37:46 -0400
"cshenk" wrote:

Hi Kevin! Good place to practice on!

I'm interested in the answers from others but incase there arent
any ideas, I'd look at colored acrylic 'caulk' that matches the
vinyl as close as you can. Be sure it's tightly laid to the
flooring all along the edges then fill the gap, smoothing with
the back of a spoon and wiping with a damp towel as you go. Let
dry completely before anyone steps on it. If the flooring and
caulk are dark, it should work well enough for a laundry room?

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 7:39�pm, pakdog wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:37:46 -0400

"cshenk" wrote:
Hi Kevin! �Good place to practice on!

I'm interested in the answers from others but incase there arent
any ideas, I'd look at colored acrylic 'caulk' that matches the
vinyl as close as you can. �Be sure it's tightly laid to the
flooring all along the edges then fill the gap, smoothing with
the back of a spoon and wiping with a damp towel as you go. �Let
dry completely before anyone steps on it. �If the flooring and
caulk are dark, it should work well enough for a laundry room?

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Kevin

well you could justr add a another layer of tile, it should stick well
since its brand new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Kevin

Let me know how it goes ok? I didnt see any other replies along that line.

well you could justr add a another layer of tile, it should stick well
since its brand new.

Grin, slight mis-read this time I think? I do that all the time too. It's
a vinyl floor with a small (I think he said it was like 1/16th to 1/8 inch)
gap where the seams meet. It was his first time laying it so he selected
the laundry room for practice. Excellent trial area! A minor 'goober'
won't be a problem in a laundry room.